4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen turbo kit ....very close!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002 | 01:12 PM

Originally posted by nigelcmf
OK

Everything is fine! We dynoed today! The results are as follows:

Pre turbo 176.0 HP 190.4 ft-lbs (I made a mistake saying it was 170 before)
Post turbo with boost .........

............ Drum roll please! ......

267.6 HP and 271.6 ft-lbs

..... get this only 4 psi of boost!

I badly need to change my exhaust to 3 inch stuff! Anyone know of any good 3" catback and cat combos? That's what I have got to get next. The exhaust is choking really badly at higher rpms around 4500 to 5000. Peak power is at about 5500, so if I got the highflow stuff, it should be at around 275-280 HP.

Lastly, I can get full boost at 3000 rpm! How's that for results? Don't know about you guys, but I am happy

I will try to find time to scan the dyno graph in and show you.
As far as kits go, I am trying to work on pricing with them. They will do intercooled and non-intercooled.

We are doing some finishing off, the BOV is not on yet and I need to paint a little where we cut holes to prevent rust and bolt the front end back on. It looks cool! Sorry no pics yet. In fact I will only email pics to interested individuals.

Watch out you Stangs!
Nigel, I know an exhaust shop that will custom make a 3" set up for you, including a high flow cat. I'll talk to you about it at the RPM shop meet.

4 psi = 260 with small exhaust and est. 275-280 with 3"!!!!

Kirk
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:12 PM
MaximaFreak

OK

I badly need to change my exhaust to 3 inch stuff! Anyone know of any good 3" catback and cat combos? That's what I have got to get next. The exhaust is choking really badly at higher rpms around 4500 to 5000. Peak power is at about 5500, so if I got the highflow stuff, it should be at around 275-280 HP.

Lastly, I can get full boost at 3000 rpm! How's that for results? Don't know about you guys, but I am happy

As far as kits go, I am trying to work on pricing with them. They will do intercooled and non-intercooled.

We are doing some finishing off, the BOV is not on yet and I need to paint a little where we cut holes to prevent rust and bolt the front end back on. It looks cool! Sorry no pics yet. In fact I will only email pics to interested individuals.

Watch out you Stangs!
Can I post pics on my website? I'd love to give your car its own page ... if so, just email pics and any text you would like on the pages and I'll get the ball rollin. My email is to the left.
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:14 PM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Nigel, I know an exhaust shop that will custom make a 3" set up for you, including a high flow cat. I'll talk to you about it at the RPM shop meet.

4 psi = 260 with small exhaust and est. 275-280 with 3"!!!!

Kirk
Dude! How much? I burnt a hole on this Turbo! Mail or PM please!
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NICE!

SAE corrected numbers? Please post the dyno sheets please or e-mail me a copy and I'll host it for ya. matchou@***.net
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:19 PM

What exactly do you want? 3" cat, 3" pipe from there back, but do you want a resonator?

Let me know and I'll get on the horn right now.

Kirk
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:27 PM

Check your PM's.

Kirk
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:55 PM

Sign me up for a kit if they decide to make them, please email me pics too please GTRBLKMAX97@aol.com
Old 03-06-2002 | 02:41 PM

if there are no reliability issues and it can be made as a bolt on kit for under $3k im in. But i don't wanna have to change my exhaust i have the Greddy and 2.5in cattman ypipe.
Old 03-06-2002 | 02:56 PM

This thing is going to turn some heads at the show on the 16th. I can't wait to see this thing.
Old 03-06-2002 | 02:57 PM

does anyone know the 1/4 mile times?
Old 03-06-2002 | 03:29 PM

Originally posted by vinny1978
does anyone know the 1/4 mile times?
There arent any yet. He picked up the car yesterday. We live in Colorado so if you can find a track here that is open I'll pay for him to run.

Kirk
Old 03-06-2002 | 03:34 PM

Check your PM's.

Kirk
Can I find out also how much it cost. SO I can start saving now.
Old 03-06-2002 | 03:39 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187

Can I find out also how much it cost. SO I can start saving now.
From a shop that give me a discount its $350 without a muffler. I didnt know what muffler he would want so I didnt want to quote him a price that was wrong. Mufflers at the shop range from $30-150.

Kirk
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:10 PM

From a shop that give me a discount its $350 without a muffler. I didnt know what muffler he would want so I didnt want to quote him a price that was wrong. Mufflers at the shop range from $30-150.

Kirk
I was talking about the turbo
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:17 PM

OK

Watch out you Stangs!
maybe i missed something.. why did you only have 176hp to begin with?
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:27 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

wow I cant see how you got that much power with only 4 psi considering the DET has 280hp/285tq with 7 psi, Im confused?
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:29 PM

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98

maybe i missed something.. why did you only have 176hp to begin with?
You were expecting, maybe, 190 HP? The 190 HP rating from the factory is rated at the flywheel. My guess is the 176 HP was measured on a dyno at the wheels, which one could expect. In fact, 176 is fairly high for a stock engine... I'm only guessing here.
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

I agree. Some thoughts? That does sound like alot considering the Stillen SC'd maximas are 6psi and putting down about the same? I don't know exactly. One reason for the good #'s is that he's running this psi on top of an high compression engine. Your project might might not be able to run the same hp at the same psi, but due to your lower compression, you should be able to push alot more psi(HP) than he can. Of course you have internals built for the job also. I figure if the stock Cima turbo is 7 psi, I think you could go 1 bar+ no problem. I don't the stock VQ on a turbo could do that very easy(or go much more)

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
wow I cant see how you got that much power with only 4 psi considering the DET has 280hp/285tq with 7 psi, Im confused?
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:40 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187

I was talking about the turbo
Hard to tell since the quoted post refered to the price of the exhaust system

Kirk

P.S. Most turbos create more hp than SC's do, but they have to spool up. With the same PSI from each on similar engines, the turbo will put down more HP.
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:52 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

yeah but still thats quite a bit more in that case I should be able to put down a ton of power with 16-18 psi
Old 03-06-2002 | 04:54 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Okay..so what's the total now?

Including all the goodies and the labor?
Old 03-06-2002 | 05:20 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

First, I'm glad your wife is better.

Second,

A great, big huge congrats goes out to you nigel!

:happy face clapping hands:

:happy face with thumbs up:

Good job. Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2002 | 05:57 PM

Kit pricing and results comments

Hi guys

I knew the 4 psi would raise a lot of eyebrows! We checked it with two different gauges first with Autometer (cheapo) and then with an Apexi to make sure. Both times - 4psi!

My scanner's not hooked up right now or I would scan the results. I'll try and do that later tonight.

I haven't picked the car up quite yet. I need to do some finishing touches to the system like paint some bare metal (so it doesn't rust). need to cut some of the plastic on the bumper to fit over the intercooler. Get some T clamps to make absolutely sure the pipes don't fly off under boost!

The sound is awesome! It actually sounds pretty much stock except for the CAI. The CAI is actually what makes the most noise! The BOV is on now PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT! It isn't terribly loud but it's there!

Yeah, I'm still amazed at how efficient the motor is with only 4 psi. I was thinking of running 7 but the exhaust won't take it!

I have final pricing on the kit and will be posting it on the group deals forums. it should have all the details you need. There are pretty substantial discounts for 5 or more!

Tomorrow I will be buttoning it up ... bumper on, lights on etc ... and we'll be done! Road time!!!!

Can't wait to get the exhaust and cat etc ... I'll Dyno it again when that's on. The guys putting it together were so excited, they ran quite a few Dyno runs for free for me. They wanted to check and double check the figures and boost numbers!

Well keep in touch guys! There's a meet on the 16th. I plan on being there for an hour or two, if you can make it please come and see!

Oh the pipes on the IC were powdercoated RED! hehee It looks really nice! Well watch the other board for turbo pricing! Thanks for all the support and hanging in there. This has taken a long time to complete. All the information you guys have given me has been very valuable. Special thanks to Matthel (Turbomax95) and Alex (Unclemax) for their advice and also to the S/C guys potatohead, Mardigras, and many others for their advice on general boost stuff!

CIAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT!
Old 03-06-2002 | 06:05 PM

Re: Kit pricing and results comments

Hi guys

I knew the 4 psi would raise a lot of eyebrows! We checked it with two different gauges first with Autometer (cheapo) and then with an Apexi to make sure. Both times - 4psi!

My scanner's not hooked up right now or I would scan the results. I'll try and do that later tonight.

I haven't picked the car up quite yet. I need to do some finishing touches to the system like paint some bare metal (so it doesn't rust). need to cut some of the plastic on the bumper to fit over the intercooler. Get some T clamps to make absolutely sure the pipes don't fly off under boost!

The sound is awesome! It actually sounds pretty much stock except for the CAI. The CAI is actually what makes the most noise! The BOV is on now PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT! It isn't terribly loud but it's there!

Yeah, I'm still amazed at how efficient the motor is with only 4 psi. I was thinking of running 7 but the exhaust won't take it!

I have final pricing on the kit and will be posting it on the group deals forums. it should have all the details you need. There are pretty substantial discounts for 5 or more!

Tomorrow I will be buttoning it up ... bumper on, lights on etc ... and we'll be done! Road time!!!!

Can't wait to get the exhaust and cat etc ... I'll Dyno it again when that's on. The guys putting it together were so excited, they ran quite a few Dyno runs for free for me. They wanted to check and double check the figures and boost numbers!

Well keep in touch guys! There's a meet on the 16th. I plan on being there for an hour or two, if you can make it please come and see!

Oh the pipes on the IC were powdercoated RED! hehee It looks really nice! Well watch the other board for turbo pricing! Thanks for all the support and hanging in there. This has taken a long time to complete. All the information you guys have given me has been very valuable. Special thanks to Matthel (Turbomax95) and Alex (Unclemax) for their advice and also to the S/C guys potatohead, Mardigras, and many others for their advice on general boost stuff!

CIAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT!
The 16th cant come soon enough....Must remember to bring camera!

Kirk
Old 03-06-2002 | 06:11 PM

you have no idea how happy i am! i am crying with joy. I dunno how many times i want to ask this but is it gonna be reliable this is the main issue for me?
Old 03-06-2002 | 06:14 PM

I just read the entire thread, and there's no question that it reads better than a Steven King novel. A little slow around page 14 though

I think I want to move to Colorado
Old 03-06-2002 | 07:01 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
you have no idea how happy i am! i am crying with joy. I dunno how many times i want to ask this but is it gonna be reliable this is the main issue for me?
Please can you define "RELIABLE"? Then I'll try to answer as best I can! Reliable turbo, reliable engine, piping ... what specifically? As reliable as supercharger? In general, correct me if I am wrong, turbos are not quite as reliable as superchargers. That's just a general fact (I think)

If you want me to PROVE reliability, email me in a couple of years and I'll tell you.

nigel
Old 03-06-2002 | 10:47 PM

exactly, i am waiting a year until i see short-long term results, don't get me wrong i know getting a turbo obviously decreases reliability but to what point is what i am wondering, if its like the s/c great because the s/c has been proven to be reliable mileage wise on our cars VQ, high compression+turbo BUT I WANT IT SOO BADD!!! i hear the PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHTTT in my dreams.
Old 03-06-2002 | 11:06 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
exactly, i am waiting a year until i see short-long term results, don't get me wrong i know getting a turbo obviously decreases reliability but to what point is what i am wondering, if its like the s/c great because the s/c has been proven to be reliable mileage wise on our cars VQ, high compression+turbo BUT I WANT IT SOO BADD!!! i hear the PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHTTT in my dreams.
I am only running at 4 psi right now. S/C run 6.5 psi. It should be less stress on the engine from that standpoint. S/C run cooler (is what I am told) I am intercooled, so it should be at least the same. Some of the S/C guys are running 10+ psi ... that's on the edge! The engine doesn't really care where the boosted air came from (turbo or S/C) if it is the same temperature. So if you run 6.5 psi S/C or 6.5 psi turbo, it doesn't care! Reliability from that standpoint is the same. Power to the wheels is not! You may find your clutch wears faster because of this! one year? Wow, you are conservative, but that's fine.
Old 03-07-2002 | 07:23 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

heres a paragraph from bell engineering on turbos and there heat efficiency I found it to be suprising. Heres the link so you can read the rest of the article http://www.bellengineering.net/wrangler.html

Heat
The turbocharger, with 75% thermal efficiency, makes less heat in the intake charge per psi of boost and cfm of air flow than any other form of supercharging. Regardless of the 'data' published by a variety of supercharger kit makers, science and engineering have not yet devised another method of compressing and moving air as thermally efficient as the centrifugal compressor on the front of the turbo. Roots style superchargers, by contrast, inherently have the lowest thermal efficiency, ranging from 35% to 65%, of any type of supercharger, yet their sellers express claims from 84% to 129%. Thermal efficiency is but one of the reasons turbocharged Grand Prix cars, Indy cars, and Le Mans style endurance racers have won hundreds and hundreds of races. Supercharged cars have not won any of these races in the past forty five years! Further, this automotive engineer will suggest it is unlikely they will win any of these races in the next forty five years, if ever again.
Old 03-07-2002 | 07:51 AM

But won't the centrifugal Vortech blowers on Stillen's kits be just as thermally efficient as a turbo? It's basically half of a turbo. And there is parasitic loss from the belts, but thermally, the efficiciency should be similar to a turbo. They only mention Roots type blowers which are very innefficient. I think Nigel makes more power because he's already at full boost by 3K. With the SC, we don't hit full boost until redline. By the time his car hits the powerband, he's already at full boost, the SC'd cars aren't.

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
heres a paragraph from bell engineering on turbos and there heat efficiency I found it to be suprising. Heres the link so you can read the rest of the article http://www.bellengineering.net/wrangler.html

Heat
The turbocharger, with 75% thermal efficiency, makes less heat in the intake charge per psi of boost and cfm of air flow than any other form of supercharging. Regardless of the 'data' published by a variety of supercharger kit makers, science and engineering have not yet devised another method of compressing and moving air as thermally efficient as the centrifugal compressor on the front of the turbo. Roots style superchargers, by contrast, inherently have the lowest thermal efficiency, ranging from 35% to 65%, of any type of supercharger, yet their sellers express claims from 84% to 129%. Thermal efficiency is but one of the reasons turbocharged Grand Prix cars, Indy cars, and Le Mans style endurance racers have won hundreds and hundreds of races. Supercharged cars have not won any of these races in the past forty five years! Further, this automotive engineer will suggest it is unlikely they will win any of these races in the next forty five years, if ever again.
Old 03-07-2002 | 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Shadow
But won't the centrifugal Vortech blowers on Stillen's kits be just as thermally efficient as a turbo? It's basically half of a turbo. And there is parasitic loss from the belts, but thermally, the efficiciency should be similar to a turbo. They only mention Roots type blowers which are very innefficient. I think Nigel makes more power because he's already at full boost by 3K. With the SC, we don't hit full boost until redline. By the time his car hits the powerband, he's already at full boost, the SC'd cars aren't.

You are partly correct about him having more power due to full boost at 3k, but he also isnt losing any power due to belts that the SC guys are. 6 psi on a SC will not put as much power to the ground as a turbo at 6 psi will. Turbos are the way to go if you can do it. The only thing that will hurt a turbo cars power is the exhaust.

Kirk
Old 03-07-2002 | 07:57 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

but read the first sentence of the paragraph I posted "than any other form of supercharger"
Old 03-07-2002 | 10:27 AM

the turbo should make more power because it doesn't take any power to run it(sc uses the crank where as the turbo runs off of spent exhaust gas)this is why turbos are more efficient than sc. also 4si is low, but if the turbo is big enough then 4si should be ok. now that said a bigger turbo would take longer to spool. but the high compression helps it to spool faster. 267 is a lot of power on that psi, but it is feasible, but i doubt it makes full biist by 3000rpm. probably closer to 3500. mike
Old 03-07-2002 | 10:43 AM

ok what i am talking about is that a turbo does not take any power to run! a supercharger puts more stress on the crank. a turbo just uses spent exhaust gas. the exhaust gas would be coming out anyway, but it is now used by the turbo. and lag isn't because of lack of power it is because the motor isn't generating enough exhaust gas to spin the compressor wheel. as for the size of the turbo, it is relative to when full boost is made. no beef dude relax.
Old 03-07-2002 | 02:30 PM
pmg

I think the turbo does use some engine power, just not as much as a supercharger. If it's using the exhaust, then by conservation of energy laws, it is robbing some engine power.
Old 03-07-2002 | 09:54 PM

This is the completed engine. What do you think? Again sorry, I did not have time to edit this size.

Old 03-07-2002 | 10:03 PM

The look is fantastic. I am in. Shoot me an e-mail with the specs on the system. I want it with the cooler. Have you found out how to make more boost yet? I am running 12 psi in my truck and would like to at least run 9 in the max. Thanks for all of your hard work. By the way how is the wife doing.
Old 03-07-2002 | 10:56 PM

Originally posted by SkidMarkRacing
The look is fantastic. I am in. Shoot me an e-mail with the specs on the system. I want it with the cooler. Have you found out how to make more boost yet? I am running 12 psi in my truck and would like to at least run 9 in the max. Thanks for all of your hard work. By the way how is the wife doing.
Thanks for the compliment! All the details will now be on the Group deals. I have decided to transfer all activity to there. There is no point continuing this thread since its title is now inappropriate ... we are no longer very close ... we are there! I will be putting the dyno numbers on there shortly. Please be patient since I have to edit the pictures to fit the page better and then upload to my site, then come back to the org to link it all.

The link to group deals is:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....1&goto=newpost

There are some impatient and sarcastic people posting there. It isn't much fun.
Old 03-08-2002 | 08:17 AM

Are you gonna stay with the stock clutch for now or have you changed it already?

SuDZ

Quick Reply: 4th gen turbo kit ....very close!