4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coolant leak still after water pump replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coolant leak still after water pump replaced

Had the watet pump replaced and there is still a intermittent leak. What are the usual suspects?

Last edited by Shannon and Ian; 08-18-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

You'll have to be more specific. Figure out the source location of the leak let us know. Is it leaking while running, or shut down? Hot or cold? Where is the coolant landing or spreading to?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
You'll have to be more specific. Figure out the source location of the leak let us know. Is it leaking while running, or shut down? Hot or cold? Where is the coolant landing or spreading to?
The mechanic says he first noticed it around the timing cover area. He pressure tested it and it did not leak out though so he said it may be ok. I checked the resovior Saturday and it was empty. It took less that 1/4 bottle of coolant. Now it drips out under the alternator area, but the splashguards are dry.
From a visual it looks like it is behind the comprssor

Last edited by Shannon and Ian; 08-19-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM

Well that is the weep hole area. An oring in the pump may have torn on assembly.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM

Most likely the inner O-ring seal on the water pump was not set properly or got damaged during the installation.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I would hope you have a warranty for the work, use it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM

I will mention the o ring
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM

If it is coming out of the weep hole, it is the oring. Simple as that.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
If it is coming out of the weep hole, it is the oring. Simple as that.
Ok. Took it today but he was packed so I will drop it off tomorrow. Was told there are two o rings amd it is possible but unlikely. Most likely the front cover. He says some cars are held by bolts snd gaskets ehete the VQ is held by rvt. May need resealing but he is checkkng all.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM

Inside the front cover there is another plate (I saw it but do not remember the name). It is held by RVT. It was leaking from there. He had to change the timing gear while he was there it was so deep. The job itself cost $400.00 total. Not bad.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM

Have you checked the thermostat and its gasket? That could be the problem.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Shannon and Ian
Inside the front cover there is another plate (I saw it but do not remember the name). It is held by RVT. It was leaking from there. He had to change the timing gear while he was there it was so deep. The job itself cost $400.00 total. Not bad.
Did you ever remember the name of the plate inside that was leaking? I'm having the same issue and about to start beating my head against the wall.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:04 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Gearhed
Did you ever remember the name of the plate inside that was leaking? I'm having the same issue and about to start beating my head against the wall.
Are you leaking coolant or oil?

The chain access plates can leak oil. The pump weep hole can leak coolant.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm leaking coolant. I just replaced the chains and the water pump, when I install the water pump and tighten it in place I begin to fill it with coolant, it leaks out the weep hole fairly quickly.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM
JvG

Did you remember to lube the water pump O rings with anti freeze? Or did you install them dry, without lube?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

They were lubed. Actually the first water pumps that I put in I had put in just a little bit askew and it had cracked the back Edge that holds the O-rings so I ordered another water pump and installed it, it leaked the same way... took it out I reinstalled it again to make sure all the O-rings are in good shape, but again same results
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM
JvG

They were lubed. Actually the first water pumps that I put in I had put in just a little bit askew and it had cracked the back Edge that holds the O-rings so I ordered another water pump and installed it, it leaked the same way... took it out I reinstalled it again to make sure all the O-rings are in good shape, but again same results

It's possible that there was some roughness on the well which the pump slides into. That roughness could allow coolant to slip by.

I replaced my pump a few years ago. I noticed that there was fused on, or vulcanized rubber from the O ring covering the metal well. I took some time to remove that rubber with a single edged razor blade.
Then I sanded the area perfectly smooth with 600 grit black sandpaper. No leaks.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
It's possible that there was some roughness on the well which the pump slides into. That roughness could allow coolant to slip by.

I replaced my pump a few years ago. I noticed that there was fused on, or vulcanized rubber from the O ring covering the metal well. I took some time to remove that rubber with a single edged razor blade.
Then I sanded the area perfectly smooth with 600 grit black sandpaper. No leaks.
I will try that, I checked see if there were any scratches where the o ring seats, but didn't find anything obvious...worth another look
Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM
JvG

I will try that, I checked see if there were any scratches where the o ring seats, but didn't find anything obvious...worth another look
I'm just speculating about what might go wrong as one installs these . Obviously the O ring will seal just fine if the area where it's supposed to go if perfectly smooth. There might be a scratch which would leak. Or the o ring can deform if it's not lubricated with anti freeze. Perhaps there was some bad binding if one of the installation bolts got too tight.

You might want to inspect the O ring.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 PM

Between the engine and timing chain inner cover are gaskets or seals of RVT. Leaking from there is possible.

The timing chain is between two metal covers. One faces the alternator belt pulleys and the other contacts the passenger side of engine. The water pump extends through both covers and moves coolant through a path on the side of engine. The inner cover has gaskets or silicon sealed area surrounding the area where water pump extends through to the engine. The gasket is on the side where the cover is attached to the engine and keeps coolant within the water pump area.
If the gasket (silicon sealant) deteriorates coolant will leak. Removing both timing chain covers to replace gaskets and apply silicon sealant is time consuming thus costly.
There are also oil seals on the crankshaft which should also be replaced when the covers are off.

a gasket or Silicon seal keeps coolant flow inside the coolant flow path. If the seal or gasket does not hold, coolant will leak and the leak can be a lot of coolant. Will post photos of the gasket location on the side of timing chain cover attached to engine and surrounding the water pump location.

**I can not get jpg file to attach or upload. one aspect I need to learn more about is the circular hole on side of engine where water pump extends into has a channel at bottom which I believe is to provide a path for water leaking past water pump o-rings. will ask mechanic for additional explanation.

Last edited by jayboydog; 01-17-2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: addl ideas
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM

There are two different p/n's for the water pump O-rings. Do you have both and assembled in the right orientation.?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:17 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by M in KC
There are two different p/n's for the water pump O-rings. Do you have both and assembled in the right orientation.?
True.

One is for oil, the other for coolant.

Perhaps one o ring is thicker than the other?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
True.

One is for oil, the other for coolant.

Perhaps one o ring is thicker than the other?
On the original I took out, there is a definite difference in the O-rings. The outer one was quite a bit thicker than the inner one. The ones that came with the new water pump however were two of the same color and there was no noticeable difference in thickness. So therefore I don't believe orientation is an issue, but definitely considered that they weren't correct. However the outer one on The Originals was the one that was larger and of a different color, and that one would not be these a ring that would be leaking into the weep hole.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

And thank you jayboydog for your response, I will definitely look into that...even though tearing it apart again isn't exactly what I was wanting to do