4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

universal consult < $50 (prefer < $25) need imvs diagnostics done

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 PM

universal consult < $50 (prefer < $25) need imvs diagnostics done

Car: 99 Infiniti I30 t

I need to diagnose my IMVS, the auto stores around here say they cannot do it. The mechanics say the same thing. "they can only do check engine light".

I can get a nissan/infiniti consult off ebay for ~$140, But I need a little cheaper. And I surely cannot afford to take the car to infiniti (nissan wont touch it).

The reason I need to diagnose the IMVS is because my keyless is not working, and i need to figure out why.

I've tried the following manually to try and figure whats wrong:
• checked fuse 40
• checked fuse 11
• checked fuse 37
• checked fuse 19
• replaced battery in remote
• checked continuity in feeder cable antenna
• checked continuity in rear glass antenna
• checked remote relay voltage terminal 1
• checked anti theft voltage terminals 3/5 & 6/7

I still can check w/o consult:
• voltage of BCM 31

programming procedure for infiniti 130:
• close all doors and lock all doors
• insert and remove key 6 times < 10 secs
• turn to ACC
• push any button on remote [unlike maxima where you have to unlock doors first] - hazards should flash (BUT THEY DO NOT!)
• unlock driver door and open driver door

is there anything else i can do w/o the consult?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM

Here is some free Consult software: http://www.ecutalk.com/ecutalk.aspx Most of the Consult cables I've seen are around $80-$90.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 AM

When I looked in the electrical section of my fsm, The car has a way to self diagnose the IVMS, So I would check there. If my 95 max has it, your 99 should have those self diagnose things for the IVMS as well (I would think so anyway).
Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Have you checked that your key fob remote works? Many auto parts stores have a tester where you aim the remote at it and press a button on and the tester lights up if it detects a signal.

As Calden__003 said, there is a self diagnostic you can run on the IVMS. It starts on page EL-187 of the 1999 I30 FSM:

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I30/1999/EL.pdf
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by donniemo
Car: 99 Infiniti I30 t

programming procedure for infiniti 130:
• close all doors and lock all doors
• insert and remove key 6 times < 10 secs
• turn to ACC
• push any button on remote [unlike maxima where you have to unlock doors first] - hazards should flash (BUT THEY DO NOT!)
• unlock driver door and open driver door
The key fob programming is the same for the Infiniti as it is for the Maxima. When you unlock the doors, that terminates the programming mode. You got some bad information.

However, you may have erased your key fob from the car by trying to re-program. While it did not appear successful, might have erased your key fob.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Calden__003
When I looked in the electrical section of my fsm, The car has a way to self diagnose the IVMS, So I would check there. If my 95 max has it, your 99 should have those self diagnose things for the IVMS as well (I would think so anyway).
Originally Posted by DennisMik
Have you checked that your key fob remote works? Many auto parts stores have a tester where you aim the remote at it and press a button on and the tester lights up if it detects a signal.

As Calden__003 said, there is a self diagnostic you can run on the IVMS. It starts on page EL-187 of the 1999 I30 FSM:

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I30/1999/EL.pdf
I will try the self diagnostics first thing tomorrow, read through it tonight =). I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW PAGE 187 EXISTED LOL.... I skipped to page 245 where the multi remote starts, and went from there...
The remote worked just fine in my 95 maxima before. But i guess if all else fails, i'll put my battery in the maxima(currently having tranny issues) and see if the remote programs or not. The key does put out signal.

The key fob programming is the same for the Infiniti as it is for the Maxima. When you unlock the doors, that terminates the programming mode. You got some bad information.

However, you may have erased your key fob from the car by trying to re-program. While it did not appear successful, might have erased your key fob.

I have read in many places that you skip the step of unlocking the door before programming. But either way, I've tried both ways.

thank you everybody for your responses. Gives me something i can build on and do.
I've also tried the maxima's reciever, antenna, and relay in the infiniti before I did any of the testing in origional post... just to hope it was one of those...
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 AM

The remote worked just fine in my 95 maxima before. But i guess if all else fails, i'll put my battery in the maxima(currently having tranny issues) and see if the remote programs or not. The key does put out signal.

I've also tried the maxima's reciever, antenna, and relay in the infiniti before I did any of the testing in origional post... just to hope it was one of those...
The control box in the trunk (LCU05) is not the same in all years of the 4th gen Maxima. 95 & 96 use one version and 97 thru 99 use another. The difference is the CAN lines to the BCM. I would imagine that the 99 Infiniti and the 99 Maxima use the same controller. So if you used the LCU05 from your 95 Maxima in your 99 Infiniti, I'm sure it would not work.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM

I haven't used mine for anything more than reading DTCs in the Max. But, I picked up one of these:

Amazon.com: Nissan Consult Diagnostic Interface: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Nissan Consult Diagnostic Interface: Car Electronics

And one of these:
Amazon.com: USB to Serial RS-232 DB9 Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: USB to Serial RS-232 DB9 Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories

Using some free software (I think ECUTalk is what I've been using, too) I can pretty easily talk to the car's computer with the laptop. Not sure how much it'll help with what you're looking to do...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM

So, an update:
I did mode 1 of and the code that was given was "11". meaning nothing was wrong...
I did mode 2 and went down the list... the buzzer buzzed and the light lit up.... every time... with the exception when i got the remote portion ofc...

Guess next easiest step would be to take battery out of infiniti and put in my poor max then see if max takes the key again...

The control box in the trunk (LCU05) is not the same in all years of the 4th gen Maxima. 95 & 96 use one version and 97 thru 99 use another. The difference is the CAN lines to the BCM. I would imagine that the 99 Infiniti and the 99 Maxima use the same controller. So if you used the LCU05 from your 95 Maxima in your 99 Infiniti, I'm sure it would not work.
I'm sure they said the same model number? I will read again though. Now, even if they are different, the fob keys are the same right?

Originally Posted by IRBatman
I haven't used mine for anything more than reading DTCs in the Max. But, I picked up one of these:

Amazon.com: Nissan Consult Diagnostic Interface: Car Electronics

And one of these:
Amazon.com: USB to Serial RS-232 DB9 Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories

Using some free software (I think ECUTalk is what I've been using, too) I can pretty easily talk to the car's computer with the laptop. Not sure how much it'll help with what you're looking to do...
Can you see if you can find the multi-remote sys in there? I'd hate to buy one and it not be able to do what i need.
The book says:
"start"
"ivms"
"multi-remote cont sys"

Last edited by donniemo; 09-04-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My friend and his 99 I30 has the exact same problem. I took his remote and programmed it onto my 98 I30. It worked, so we know the problem is definitely with his car. I'll be doing the IVMS tests to see what happens.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM

So, an update:
Now, even if they are different, the fob keys are the same right?
The keyfob for the 95 thru 99 Maxima is the same one, even though there are the 2 different receiver units in the trunk. The keyfob for the 96 thru 99 I30 have the same FCC ID number, A269ZUA078, as the Maxima, so I am assuming it will work.

The reason I assume it will work is that the part numbers for the LCU05 receiver unit in the trunk are the same for the 99 Infiniti and 99 Maxima.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

.....so I am assuming it will work.....

Good assumption....I bought mine and my friend's remote on ebay....always searched for Maxima remotes. This aftermarket unit works fine on my 98 I30;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190870655034

My buddy's 99 I30 is\was using a an OEM Nisssan Maxima remote.