4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Recommended lowering shock/strut combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Recommended lowering shock/strut combo?

Yes, here we go again with one of those annoying newbie threads. I really don't like posting this, since there were a bunch about this same topic. Questioning about a recommended lowering suspension setup. Never lowered my car before. It's a daily driver, just looking to get a nice 2" inch drop front and back. Smooth, nothing too stiff. I searched this forum and some others on which shocks to get, and nothing really caught my eye. I see that illumina's are great, and even Gr-2 (although stiff) but really want something that won't void the warranty and can handle the drop I want. Springs I'm not too crazy about, I can pick something I want whether it's Tein or H&R.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
looking to get a nice 2" inch drop front and back. Smooth, nothing too stiff.
Reality Check - This doesn't exist.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Got Retrofit?

Coilovers. If you want comfort, TDMI or Teins.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Id imagine if you got that low that it wouldnt be too comfy no matter what setup you had. Regardless coilovers would be your best option there.

I personally have KYB AGX's for my struts and H&R springs, the struts are adjustable for 4 different stiffness levels with #2 being equal to GR2 stiffness. I keep them their and my ride is comfy enough. As for the drop its 1.4/1.3 front/back. Looks fine to me but then again i wasnt trying to slam my car to the ground in the first place.

Just do some searching, i know theres a thread or two around that give you the ins/outs of various setups.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Well I wasn't aiming for the whole comfort of it all. I know going low isn't going to feel too good but I know dropping the ride height 2 inches is max for a daily driver. All I need are good shocks that can handle the drop. I don't want to void warranty on shocks that could only handle to 1.5"
Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Reality Check - This doesn't exist.

Exactly!

I would go with the H&R's and Illuminas. I had H&R's paired with AGX's. This combination left a lot to be desired on the comfort side of things. Even with cutting the bumpstops all around & installing Ben's rear shock mounts (gave even more suspension travel back).

I know it's a different ride, but on my 5th gen I went with H&R's with Tokico Blues (OEM) equivilant. The ride quality was a lot better than on my 4th gen, & the handling was still good.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Exactly!

I would go with the H&R's and Illuminas. I had H&R's paired with AGX's. This combination left a lot to be desired on the comfort side of things. Even with cutting the bumpstops all around & installing Ben's rear shock mounts (gave even more suspension travel back).

I know it's a different ride, but on my 5th gen I went with H&R's with Tokico Blues (OEM) equivilant. The ride quality was a lot better than on my 4th gen, & the handling was still good.
Thanks for the input dude. I've seen most opinions about the illuminas on other threads as well. I was thinking about the blues too but I wasn't sure about the ride quality of them.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 AM

No problem. I forgot to add that I also had a rear sway bar on both cars.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM

eibach springs on monroe struts and shocks rides smooth. Not stiff, but it's a very comfy ride.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 AM

I was also considering Eibach springs as well, but which Monroe style strut?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM

I was also considering Eibach springs as well, but which Monroe style strut?

Are you keeping the OEM rims? A wheel uprade, even just 1 inch, will make the ride more harsh. On my previous 98 Maxima I had H&Rs and tokicos. That car also had an RSB and 17" rims. The lowered car plus RSB made my tail end really hot, so I removed the RSB, and the 17s combined with the stiffer setup wasn't ideal. I stuck with the rims because, let's face, bigger rims do look good.

Now, my 98 I30t has H&Rs and GR2s. OEM 16' rims. I am not upgrading the wheels this time around and I'm not even thinking of an RSB either. With OEM rims, this combo is the best for comfort and better sport handling. I drive on terrible NYC roads and also like to tear up the countryside every now and again. I can throw the car into corners and have fun with it but also get civilized and have a decent ride.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
eibach springs on monroe struts and shocks rides smooth. Not stiff, but it's a very comfy ride.
Interesting, I've never installed that combo on any 4th gens.
Did you put them onto the Sensa Trac's?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 PM

I don't plan on getting new rims when purchasing the suspension parts. I currently am on stock 15" rims. I eventually will get 16 or 17 inch rims but that will be way after I have the struts installed + money saved up. I just don't need anything rubbing. I live on Long Island and it's def not as worse as the city area but we do have random bumps and dips but I tend to go a little easy on them.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 PM

You will need d2 or tein s tech springs for 2" drop. I would take the d2 cause they will ride slightly better than stech.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM

S Tech huh? Well I see one set that goes 2.2 in the front but that's pushing it a bit.. but does anyone have an opinion/review on Megan Racing springs?

Last edited by RealityCheck; 09-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 PM

megan springs- doodoo

megan coilovers- great. (what im on right now)
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 AM

When the topic of lowering is involved, everyone will say coil overs. If you want input on tokico blues with tokico springs, I have absolutely NO REGRETS. Just wish it was maybe a half inch lower. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 AM

I really want to get coilovers, but damn 900-1000 would kill my budget. It's a daily driver, and if I got them then I'd be wanting to slam my car. So I'm aiming towards the springs because I would like something to make my car look way better without the gap and without scraping everything underneath.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Climaxx
When the topic of lowering is involved, everyone will say coil overs....
I've always found that trend odd, too. Take it further and look at the front springs. The OEM front springs are huge. The H&Rs/Eibach front springs are also quite large. But for coilovers, the front springs are the same size a rear springs, which are very small. Take that with a basic understanding of spring rates, the fact the front of the car weighs pretty much twice as much as the rear of the car, and something does not add up. Sure, coilovers may out-perform spring/strut combos, but how much is the ride affected, too?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Sure, coilovers may out-perform spring/strut combos, but how much is the ride affected, too?
My coilovers ride better than my old strut/spring combo
Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Please elaborate......what was your spring strut combo, and were you riding on 17" rims, OEM 15 or 16s? And when u went to coilovers, did you have the same rims, and if not, what did you change to?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM

I've always found that trend odd, too. Take it further and look at the front springs. The OEM front springs are huge. The H&Rs/Eibach front springs are also quite large. But for coilovers, the front springs are the same size a rear springs, which are very small. Take that with a basic understanding of spring rates, the fact the front of the car weighs pretty much twice as much as the rear of the car, and something does not add up. Sure, coilovers may out-perform spring/strut combos, but how much is the ride affected, too?
Speaking of their size, I also found it a little odd that they are small compared to oem springs. You would think they would make coilover springs near the same size? Cars weigh a lot after all. On topic, coilovers are the usual recommendation but I don't want to dump a ton of money on suspension.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Got Retrofit?

Please elaborate......what was your spring strut combo, and were you riding on 17" rims, OEM 15 or 16s? And when u went to coilovers, did you have the same rims, and if not, what did you change to?
Old set up = KYB AGX/Eibach set to full stiff all around.
New set up = KSport Kontrol Pros set to full stiff all around.

Both set ups on 18s.

Last edited by ChrisMan287; 09-05-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Old set up = KYB AGX/Eibach set to full stiff all around.
New set up = KSport Kontrol Pros set to full stiff all around.

Both set ups on 18s.
Interesting. I would guess that maybe with somewhat large/heavy rims (for a 4th gen) coilovers may be a necessity......BUT I still don't think you can fly thru NYC roads with that setup and not feel the harshness of the road
Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Got Retrofit?

Interesting. I would guess that maybe with somewhat large/heavy rims (for a 4th gen) coilovers may be a necessity......BUT I still don't think you can fly thru NYC roads with that setup and not feel the harshness of the road
Well I'm definitely a "low and slow" type of guy at this point but that's because of my ride height, not because of the coilovers themselves. I try not to scrape my subframe and exhaust too much and definitely don't want to break my CF front lip.

24.25" up front and 25.5" in the rear (measuring from the top of the fenderwell to the ground).
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Well I'm definitely a "low and slow" type of guy .

Dodging them potholes ehhh... lol

I got the tokico blues and H&R springs on stock 15" wheels.
Comfy enough for a 2hr ride with my girl to Maine with no nagging,
sporty enough to take corners like champ,
no issues with ride height or slammage
cost effective where i spent under 800 for all new strut components including mounts, isolators, bushings, boots and installation,
and its been 2 years no issues.

If you want more sporty feel, get illuminas.

If you got the cash and WANT to slam, get coilovers. Dont slam on springs/struts.

Last edited by cashoit; 09-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit

I got the tokico blues and H&R springs on stock 15" wheels.
Comfy enough for a 2hr ride with my girl to Maine with no nagging,
sporty enough to take corners like champ,
no issues with ride height or slammage
cost effective where i spent under 800 for all new strut components including mounts, isolators, bushings, boots and installation,
and its been 2 years no issues.

If you want more sporty feel, get illuminas.

If you got the cash and WANT to slam, get coilovers. Dont slam on springs/struts.
Thank you, looking for a response like this haha. I was really considering getting Tokico blues as well. I might just go with them! As for rim size when I get to the point of buying new wheels, well.. that's another question for fitment lol. I was thinking about buying camber plates too, but I don't think it's necessary?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Thank you, looking for a response like this haha. I was really considering getting Tokico blues as well. I might just go with them! As for rim size when I get to the point of buying new wheels, well.. that's another question for fitment lol. I was thinking about buying camber plates too, but I don't think it's necessary?

Camber plates? You don't need that unless you're going hard core like this dude.......

http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...-thread-6.html
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM

I read somewhere that you need them if going over 2" ?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Got Retrofit?

Even on stock suspension

cost effective where i spent under 800 for all new strut components including mounts, isolators, bushings, boots and installation
You could have gotten new coilovers for a little more.

I spent less than that on mine
Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM

I read somewhere that you need them if going over 2" ?
In my experience you.need at least camber bolts if lowering much. Otherwise you are buying tires. Illuminas and eibach on mine and I needed them. Just saying.

People will say otherwise. Just ask them about tire purchases.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
In my experience you.need at least camber bolts if lowering much. Otherwise you are buying tires. Illuminas and eibach on mine and I needed them. Just saying.

People will say otherwise. Just ask them about tire purchases.
Camber bolts? Hmm okay then. Might as well get them to be on the safe side?