4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing WP - Timing off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing WP - Timing off?

Hey guys,

So the first project on my newly acquired 96GLE is the WP. Everything was going smoothly but I had a very hard time removing the tensioner because the piston was only 1 or 2mm proud of the body and the slack guide was in my way.

After getting it out I went straight to cranking counterclockwise 20degrees. This did not result in any chain slack whatsoever on either side. It looked the cranking caused the slack guide to tilt back toward the tensioner a bit so pulled it by hand and, with some steady resistance, the slack guide moved toward the WP and I had slack.

Not knowing what to do, I rotated the motor another 20 degrees to get slack on the WP so I could continue working. Im ready to put it all back together but Im unsure if my timing will be off. I don't know why I didn't have chain slack to begin with after removing the tensioner and why I could move the guide by hand (where did the slack come from?).

Any insight duly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone?

Did my timing go out of sync?

How do I check if timing is still good without pulling the timing chain cover?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Got Retrofit?

Start the car. You'll know if your timing is off.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks...I thought it was an interference engine but that's pretty easy then.

So the piston and spring shot out of the tensioner just outside the engine as I was maneuvering the tensioner back in on an angle but I cant find them anywhere. I had the water pump access still open and Im wondering if the damn thing ricochet'd off the wheel well panel and went past the water pump into the timing chain cover. Not sure how to stack the odds on this one.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 PM

I did exactly what you did and more with the chain and was afraid that I would damage the timing. And like you I had to start it and see if it is broken. Started like a shotgun and hasn't looked back. About 2 years since then. So don't worry. The chain doesn't have enough slack to jump a teeth.
With regards of the tensioner, I have no advice. I was very careful doing this job and that's why it took me about 12 hours from start to finish in 3 consecutive days.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by oblique
Thanks...I thought it was an interference engine but that's pretty easy then.

So the piston and spring shot out of the tensioner just outside the engine as I was maneuvering the tensioner back in on an angle but I cant find them anywhere. I had the water pump access still open and Im wondering if the damn thing ricochet'd off the wheel well panel and went past the water pump into the timing chain cover. Not sure how to stack the odds on this one.
Drop the oil pan and fish around for the missing parts. With any luck you can find them down below. Could also try fishing in the hole where the tensioner went with a telescoping magnet or a magnet on a string. Worst case is that you'll have to pull the timing chain cover.