4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with knowing what this thing is? pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM

need help with knowing what this thing is? pics inside

So I need someone who can tell me what this is and its purpose..

Name:  whatisthis2_zps50c9340a.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  148.5 KB

because at the other end of it, it keeps getting disconnected in the area here circled in red. it looks like it needs some sort of retainer or washer.
Name:  whatisthis5_zpsa0808882.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.0 KB

thanks for the help!

Last edited by 99maxwell; 09-16-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 AM

It appears you have Cali spec emissions. And that would appear to be your swirl valves.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Yes it is cali spec. when I hooked it back up the car started responding differently shifting.better and what not what do the swirl valves do? It falls off quite easily what do I put there to keep it on?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 99maxwell
Yes it is cali spec. when I hooked it back up the car started responding differently shifting.better and what not what do the swirl valves do? It falls off quite easily what do I put there to keep it on?
The only 4th gens that have this are 99 cali specs. From what i understand it is for emissions; basically it creates a swirl with the fuel/air that makes it the tiniest bit more efficient and cleaner. I think it allows less fuel to be used, however theres the tiniest loss of power.

Realistically it doesnt make much of a difference, or at least thats what ive read.

While on this topic, would anyone know if a 99 cali uses the swirl valve on the 5th gen lim during an 00vi swap, as both the 99 cali and 00' lim's both have it? Would it be easier/better to block off the 5th gen swirl like everyone else does, or would this trigger a cel? Gathering parts and info so when i pull this swap off in a month or two ill be able to have it done in 2 days max.

Im even considering making a little cheat sheet of sorts with all this homework im doing, something like "if x occurs perform y" for any problem that could arise.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 AM

well I really noticed a difference, before it was shifting like a ton of bricks at heavy acceleration and now it's pretty smooth, call me crazy but when my girlfriend got in the car just a half hr ago and i accelerated quickly she was like "wtf, is this your car" it just seems smoother. anyway what do i get to hold it on there so it doesn't slip off again? is it a retainer?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 99maxwell
well I really noticed a difference, before it was shifting like a ton of bricks at heavy acceleration and now it's pretty smooth, call me crazy but when my girlfriend got in the car just a half hr ago and i accelerated quickly she was like "wtf, is this your car" it just seems smoother. anyway what do i get to hold it on there so it doesn't slip off again? is it a retainer?
To be honest i do not know very much about it. I do knoe that the valve opens and closes at different loads, perhaps since yours was broken it was open when it was meant to be closed or vice versa?

As for the linkage thing, based off my memory the pin should have a retainer of sorts on the end. Not sure where you would even begin on fixing, i dont believe the units are sold serperately from a lim. I could very well be wrong but perhaps blocking it off would be the easier route? Need some fellow calis to chime in here!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The swirl valves only operate during engine warm up. After that, there open all the time and do absolutely nothing. It's probably one of the worst things ever done by Nissan to the VQ motor. They're just an obstacle in the intake track.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The swirl valves only operate during engine warm up. After that, there open all the time and do absolutely nothing. It's probably one of the worst things ever done by Nissan to the VQ motor. They're just an obstacle in the intake track.
Interesting. Is it entirely mechanical or managed by the ecu? Would a 99 cali benefit from deleting the swirl on the 5th gen lim used for a 00vi? If there are no code issues then no more swirl for me!

As for OP, ill see if i can get a nice pic of that linkage thing for you when i get home.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 PM

well thanks everybody for the info and help! I'll look into getting a retainer ring to hopefully keep it where it belongs.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM

thanks slamrod!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Interesting. Is it entirely mechanical or managed by the ecu? Would a 99 cali benefit from deleting the swirl on the 5th gen lim used for a 00vi? If there are no code issues then no more swirl for me!

As for OP, ill see if i can get a nice pic of that linkage thing for you when i get home.
I'm pretty sure the ECU sends the signal to the solenoid to apply vacuum to the valve. It's based on engine temperature, and they do open during cold operation if the engine RPM's goes above 2,500. You can see them function on a cold start.

Deleting them would absolutely be beneficial. Most just put a fed spec lower intake on the car.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry i know im a few days late, but here are pictures from my engine bay of the swirl valve linkage.

Hard to tell from your pics but it appears the little washers that are on the pins are cracked on yours, perhaps that is the cause of the wiggle room? On mine they are nice and sturdy.

Another shot: