4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

been gettin evap small leak code

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

been gettin evap small leak code

been getting it for a while now, but in the last few days ive been actually smelling gas near the rear of the car , dont see any drips or anything just smell it...has any 1 of you guys had this and what was lt that was leaking the vapors..i took off the evap canister vent control valve off and put jumpers from the battery to the electrical connections and there was no clicking or anything that would make me believe it was working..could this possibly be the issue? should i hear clicking when touching some juice to it ?thanks!!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
should i hear clicking when touching some juice to it ?thanks!!
Yes it should click. Clean it up real good and test it again. If there's still nothing, you'll need a new one.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM

I usually soak the mechanical portion in some penetrating oil or something of that nature to free it up. Once you get it free activate it numerous times with the battery to help free it up some more. This will keep it going at least another year or maybe longer. Or just replace it with a new one.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nopike
I usually soak the mechanical portion in some penetrating oil or something of that nature to free it up. Once you get it free activate it numerous times with the battery to help free it up some more. This will keep it going at least another year or maybe longer. Or just replace it with a new one.
when i took it off a while back and hooked it to the battery , i used a screw driver and it seemed like the inner workings moved freely...wasnt sticky or hard to move..just did nothing when juice was put to it...i see on rockauto they have them , is that something i should go to nissan for ..or is aftermarket fine for that device?or just go to a j/y and pull one off a car there?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM

Aftermarket should be fine. It's fairly simple device. JY would work also but chances are those would fail soon. The valve gets stuck from moisture and rust.

Maybe you did not get power to it from the battery properly the connectors on the valve are kind of difficult to get at. The valve freezing up is a common problem. I have freed mine with the method I explained a few times over the years.

Last edited by Nopike; 10-16-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

found at least part of the issue

was underneath inspecting the hoses near and around the canister and found a broken (i believe its called) vaccuum cut valve?...its a white round valve a little bigger in diametr than a silver dollar with like 3 or 4 hose conncted to it, well one of the spots where a small hose connects to it is broken and you can see where someone tried using epoxy on iit or something...is this something i need to get at the junk yard? any thoughts? i definately smell gass where the crack and attempted repair job is...the crack is so evident and so im wondering if i just coat it with some epoxy or something like the last person did i may get a while out of it??
thanks for the input!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM

I would make sure the vent control valve is working first. It should turn on and off when you apply and remove 12v from your battery. You are applying 12v and ground to the two terminals of the valve when you test the valve? Right?

If the valve is not working you will get EVAP codes. If you are still having problems after you fix the valve you can move on to the other issues.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nopike
I would make sure the vent control valve is working first. It should turn on and off when you apply and remove 12v from your battery. You are applying 12v and ground to the two terminals of the valve when you test the valve? Right?

If the valve is not working you will get EVAP codes. If you are still having problems after you fix the valve you can move on to the other issues.
Ya, i didnt get that far yet(trying to hit the valve with 12volts)i was gonna check all the hoses then take that valve off when i noticed the hose completely seperated from the vacuum cut valve, and from what i gathered from the fsm it looks like one of the hoses connected to the vac cut valve connects to the evap pressure sensor(so that would definately throw a code) so either way , like you said after i fix the cut valve i will move to the vent cont valve..its just a process of elimination i guess!...thanks alot dude..will let you know how i make out..i fixed the cut valve tonite and putting it on tomoro mornin.. then onward i guess..will post how my luck goes when i do it tomoro!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
was underneath inspecting the hoses near and around the canister and found a broken (i believe its called) vaccuum cut valve?...its a white round valve a little bigger in diametr than a silver dollar with like 3 or 4 hose conncted to it, well one of the spots where a small hose connects to it is broken and you can see where someone tried using epoxy on iit or something...is this something i need to get at the junk yard? any thoughts? i definately smell gass where the crack and attempted repair job is...the crack is so evident and so im wondering if i just coat it with some epoxy or something like the last person did i may get a while out of it??
thanks for the input!!!
I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago. Replaced the whole assembly with all of those little valves and hoses in front of the cannister with one from a JY - it's been fine ever since. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

so far so good!

Originally Posted by bobflood
I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago. Replaced the whole assembly with all of those little valves and hoses in front of the cannister with one from a JY - it's been fine ever since. Good luck.
well, i used this aweaome epoxy on the valve, and the fix went better and easier than i expected...it seem stronger than it would be when new(fingrs crossed)
all the gas fumes smells are gone, i stuck my nose right to the valve after and during running and nothing at all!...so far the evap code is gone and will pray the cel will stay off, if it stays off im not even gonna check the other valve but i have a feeling i wont be that luckky!!...but stranger things have happened ..

thankks for all the posts, hopefully this thread will remain dead!

last update....my evp canister vent control valve is working correctly, i figured id take it off and hit the juice to it and yep all is good so fAR..thanks again all for ur help and ideas!

Last edited by 98maxaholic; 10-19-2013 at 02:36 PM.