4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car randomly cuts off.. what is the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 PM

Car randomly cuts off.. what is the issue?

Hey guys... been awhile since I made a post on here.

I recently brought my 4th gen (95 Maxima.. 5spd) out of storage as it's my winter beater and man did this thing run rough as hell (it was perfectly fine prior to storage).

The car was hesitating when I would give it gas... it would randomly cut out and stall... the car would idle rough at a stop light.. and it sounded like I had a misfire of some sort.

Long story short I've fixed just about all the issues except one... my car will randomly cut out when I come to a stop (at a stop light for example). Once the car cuts out.. it's hard to start (takes extra cranks).. and once it starts it dies again immediately unless I give it gas.. the car will also idle rough (idle bounces up and down) when this happens. When i put it in gear and drive.. if I give it gas it hesitates a bit then goes. By the time I drive to the next light the problem seems to have solved itself and it doesn't usually happen again for another few days.

The car runs perfectly smooth... starts up like a charm...and pretty much drives flawlessly till the symptoms described above randomly comes up again. The car is throwing NO codes and the Check Engine Light isn't coming on.

Things I've changed so far:
- Crankshaft POS sensor
- EGR Tube
- IACV Cleaned
- Throttle Body cleaned
- Spark plugs replaced
- 2 coils changed (that solved the misfire i was having)
- Fuel Filter

I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities: (if you guys can think of anything else let me know)
- Crankshaft REF Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor
- IACV needs to be reprogrammed at the dealership

Any ideas as to what is causing my issue?? Car has 335,000KM (209,000 miles) if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by prince_starbai; 10-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 PM

How about replacing the IACV. The motor for it can fail. It's the same motor as the metal EVAP purge volume control valve
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 AM

It probably wouldn't hurt to clean your maf too.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Clean or replace maf. Check ref crank position sensor, that's what I would dp
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 PM

Possible loose spark plug?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Fauken: you just may be right... although i was hoping it'd be something cheaper than replacing the IACV lol

PowerTotheMax: Are these symptoms of a MAF failing? I'll clean it like you said prob wouldn't hurt to do that.

LTXMitch: Yeah I was thinking it could be the crankshaft REF sensor.. I guess i'll clean that and if that fails I'll replace the IACV next as my symptoms seem to be closer related to an IACV problem.

Gruesome: I recently replaced my spark plugs... this issue was happening before i replaced them as well...doubt it's a loose spark plug.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys... I'll start off by cleaning the Crankshaft REF sensor and MAF... and if those don't solve the problem i'll replace the IACV and go from there.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:18 PM

Welcome man, please report back to us what worked and what didn't.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Just a quick update... cleaning the crankshaft REF sensor and MAF did zip... I had the hood open and heard this weird ticking noise... after a closer inspection it turns out it's coming from the IACV..sounds like the motor within it.

I've ordered a new IACV and will replace it and see if that solves my problem. Should be here in about a week.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM

I'm having a similar issue, my car misfires badly randomly and hesitates under load causing a super lean rpm plot. My cam pos sensor had a build up and I'm most likely going to replace that, the sensor can also cause the issue that you are having. A bad iacv will often just need a cleaning and only effects idle speed
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
I'm having a similar issue, my car misfires badly randomly and hesitates under load causing a super lean rpm plot. My cam pos sensor had a build up and I'm most likely going to replace that, the sensor can also cause the issue that you are having. A bad iacv will often just need a cleaning and only effects idle speed
Check your plugs and clean the MAF.

Any codes?