4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM

Speed Sensor?

Okay well i have this 1996 automatic maxima with 144,444 miles.
My tranny has been acting up once in a while maybe every 3 weeks. It has this jerky shifts it doesnt slip. At times when i press the gas all i here is the engine rev but the car struggles to gain speed and at times it doesnt. My O/D light is flashing 16 times but it doesnt do it all the time. I did that checking for the code it throws and it said my Speed sensor is bad? My mpg is pretty bad sometimes i get barely 300 miles of a tank while im driving 80hwy /20 city and i drove like a grandma. thats about 19 mpg i believe. i just want to know if anyone out there had the same symptoms? Should i change the speed sensor? I heard its a easy fix. Just got to remove the drivers side front wheel, and the firewall and unplug and plug the new one.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM

I don't know if that's your problem, but the sensor is a cheap part. And you don't have to take off the wheel, you can reach it from the driver's side from above.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 AM

Replace because it is a "cheap" part?

Auto, Why replace a part just because it is "cheap", when in all likelihood it is NOT the root cause of your problem? Please see my post under Cam1's post "Scanned for codes P0325" just recently posted.

This is for P0500-Vehicle Speed Sensor:
As I said there, the VSS is a very simple signal generator which is very unlikely to not be working properly. So many people just go and stick one in because they have P0500 and the part is relatively inexpensive, when the errant signal could come from one of many other places in the engine control system. Read my post, pull your VSS, check it out, and then IF BAD, replace, IF GOOD, replace, if you want to throw money away, or just want a cleaner one. Good success to you.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by autovq3.0
Okay well i have this 1996 automatic maxima with 144,444 miles.
My tranny has been acting up once in a while maybe every 3 weeks. It has this jerky shifts it doesnt slip. At times when i press the gas all i here is the engine rev but the car struggles to gain speed and at times it doesnt. My O/D light is flashing 16 times but it doesnt do it all the time. I did that checking for the code it throws and it said my Speed sensor is bad? My mpg is pretty bad sometimes i get barely 300 miles of a tank while im driving 80hwy /20 city and i drove like a grandma. thats about 19 mpg i believe. i just want to know if anyone out there had the same symptoms? Should i change the speed sensor? I heard its a easy fix. Just got to remove the drivers side front wheel, and the firewall and unplug and plug the new one.
I am having a similar issue. Your tranny is going into fail safe mode which will make you accelerate slowly and behave as you described. Im getting my O/D to flash a bunch of times too and sometimes it wont. I think that may be a AT module fault. I had my speed sensor checked and its working fine. I also have no CEL.

Let me know if you fix it.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I am having a similar issue. Your tranny is going into fail safe mode which will make you accelerate slowly and behave as you described. Im getting my O/D to flash a bunch of times too and sometimes it wont. I think that may be a AT module fault. I had my speed sensor checked and its working fine. I also have no CEL.

I have similar issue along with some other stuff going on...let us know what you find out
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Got Retrofit?

I thought the O/D light flashing was a sign that the drop resistor was on the way out?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:26 AM

I had the exact same issue in my 00 turnsout it was the transmission speed sensor cheap and easy fix
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CGarSmokr
Auto, Why replace a part just because it is "cheap", when in all likelihood it is NOT the root cause of your problem? Please see my post under Cam1's post "Scanned for codes P0325" just recently posted.

This is for P0500-Vehicle Speed Sensor:
As I said there, the VSS is a very simple signal generator which is very unlikely to not be working properly. So many people just go and stick one in because they have P0500 and the part is relatively inexpensive, when the errant signal could come from one of many other places in the engine control system. Read my post, pull your VSS, check it out, and then IF BAD, replace, IF GOOD, replace, if you want to throw money away, or just want a cleaner one. Good success to you.
Originally Posted by maxprivate

Originally Posted by chrisduke
I have similar issue along with some other stuff going on...let us know what you find out
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I thought the O/D light flashing was a sign that the drop resistor was on the way out?
Originally Posted by NIco2k
I had the exact same issue in my 00 turnsout it was the transmission speed sensor cheap and easy fix
I havent had time to check it out. I recently replaced my rotors they were really bad. the car still has the same problem but havent done anything about it. my friends tell me though when i go wot and that happens rev but little movement theres smoking coming out the back but it only comes out during wot. I think sometime around this month when i have time im going to check it out. My struts are busted too. and leaking oil once in a while. ill let you guys know though if that was the issue.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 AM

I had this problem too. VSS code on ECU and o/d light would blink ocassionally. My speedometer was accurate, it was just the ECU/TCM complaining. With help from here, I figured out that the leads for the VSS are attached to the back of the gauge cluster. I pulled the gauge cluster, loosened then retightened the screws for the VSS leads. Then I cleared the codes. Its been apx. 1.5 months and the code(s) have not returened.
Go to the last page in the newbie section, if you want to read the discussion.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Black Lion

tranny in fail safe mode

Its been a while but I was able to fix my issue too.. I did the 5th gen cluster swap and since there is a delay at when the 5th gen cluster registers speed ( around 15 mph is when the speedometer will begin to register speed ) when used in a 4th gen it was causing my tranny to go in fail safe because the ecu didn't know how fast I was going I am guessing..

anyhow once I put the stock 4th gen cluster back in I have have no issues with my transmission anymore.. been several months since putting the stock cluster back in.. works beautifully.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM

HI, I have got this problem with Maxima 2001, please explain me what does it mean "I did the 5th gen CLUSTER SWAP" - I am not English but this is something important. My problems are discussed here http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8940934
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 PM

Please please, I am not English, explain me this "With help from here, I figured out that the leads for the VSS are attached to the back of the gauge cluster. I pulled the gauge cluster, loosened then retightened the screws for the VSS leads. Then I cleared the codes. Its been apx. 1.5 months and the code(s) have not returened" What I should do? What is VSS leads?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 PM
JvG

VSS leads = Vehicle Speed Sensor leads. He means that the electrical wires that are attached to the sensor are also attached to the instrument cluster. So the electrical impulses generated by the VSS are detected by the instrument cluster, then travel to the computer. The screws that attach the speedometer to the cluster get loose due to vibration. Sometimes just tightening the screws fix the problem. Sometimes some soldering needs to be done on the speedo. Do a search.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM

Hi there, the thing is that there is no error with those blinking lamps but AT behaves the way as on the video. I thought the 1st one is first judgement but this is one long and 10short.
In European version lamp that blinks (also a self test) is located near the lever to shift gears.
So maybe the problem is worse than I think...