4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tdmimports anti roll kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM

tdmimports anti roll kit

OK having an issue with them my steering wheel will not return to center position after I complete a turn I always have to bring it back with me didn't have the problem before I installed them wondering if any of you guys have them and if so if u guys have any issues with them
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your referring to the tie rod ends? Did you have the car aligned after you installed them?
Are you lowered that much that you need these?
Some of the info on their page is well, lets say open for discussion.
I would define some of it as good marketing.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM

I'll copy my post over from the west cost thread:

I had to take my bump steer tie rod ends out.. I know I installed them correctly and the alignment was also done correctly. But, the steering was extremely unpredictable.. especially over bumps in a turn. It would track straight no problem but it acted like the toe was off in turns. Again, I'm sure the alignment was good.

I swapped back to Moog and the problem was solved. I dont even want to resell them since they made the car drive terrible.

I'm over 3" dropped and tucking tire but it's taller than stock. 225/50/18
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM

how low are you dropped? did you use the correct spacer for your drop? I've been on them since aug with no issues with little over 2" drop. they only feedback i get from them is slight pull on uneven roads which is normal. Steering is much easier than before.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
I'll copy my post over from the west cost thread:

I had to take my bump steer tie rod ends out.. I know I installed them correctly and the alignment was also done correctly. But, the steering was extremely unpredictable.. especially over bumps in a turn. It would track straight no problem but it acted like the toe was off in turns. Again, I'm sure the alignment was good.

I swapped back to Moog and the problem was solved. I dont even want to resell them since they made the car drive terrible.

+1 Had a similar experience.

I installed a set on a 4th gen with easily a 3" drop. Triple checked that they were installed properly, had the car aligned that day, and removed them just a few days later. The owner said that they would nearly rip the steering wheel out of his hands when going over bumps.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
would nearly rip the steering wheel out of his hands when going over bumps.
then why dont I have this issue
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Joey SR
then why dont I have this issue
Don't know and don't care to be honest. Just sharing our experience.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM

There were no adjustment spacers.

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
The owner said that they would nearly rip the steering wheel out of his hands when going over bumps.
Exactly what was happening to me.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Chrisman has em as well, zero issues. From what I've seen so far, if your camber isn't perfect it can cause issues.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 PM

There were no adjustment spacers.
sorry, should of been clearer. depending on how low you are dropped depends if you use the silver spacer or if slammed, flip it around for the black

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Looks like I had it in 'Slammed mode'

Ride height:

At that height my axles vibrate the steering wheel under load. And again, that's a taller tire. 225/50/18
Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Chrisman has em as well, zero issues. From what I've seen so far, if your camber isn't perfect it can cause issues.
For what it's worth, I was running 1* of negative camber. Which is pretty conservative IMO. If anyone thinks this is a problem in general or that it wrecks tires, I'm not having that convo with you.

The toe was well within alignment specs.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Aside from the kit, (which I cant speak for because I don't have one). Caster of the front wheels is the only thing that makes the steering wheel turn back to a straight position after a turn. Btw have any of you guys looked if the tie rods look straight when the car is sitting at the lowered ride height?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by IslandMax
Aside from the kit, (which I cant speak for because I don't have one). Caster of the front wheels is the only thing that makes the steering wheel turn back to a straight position after a turn. Btw have any of you guys looked if the tie rods look straight when the car is sitting at the lowered ride height?
Yes they did appear to be horizontal.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM

The only thing I can think of that would cause the steering wheel to be jerked like you guys describe is that with this kit now the tie rods are the only part of the front suspension that are straight. This still leaves the lower control arms at the crazy angle when you slam a max. With the tie rod being straight and the control arm on the extreme angle, any suspension movement up or down will cause the difference in the tie rod length. Its late, but im pretty sure im picturing it right in my head. I should be getting a kit soon, ill take a look at the geometry of the suspension with the kit installed and I should be able to post more definite answers for you guys.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 AM

Your dropped 3 inches and your trying to correct only 1 component on the front end. You do realize how far out of whack the lower control arms are with a drop like that? The geometry of the front end is changed, adjustable tie rod ends are not the solution. Your only putting the steering rack back in line with the hub, not the swing of the lower control arm, which is matched to the stock tie rod position. Those ends will throw that completely off. Your actually making it worse by changing the geometry of the steering and control arm angle.

The 4th gen is a very basic strut set up. No double wish bone keeping the wheel's arc in position. By repositioning the tie rods after a drop, you throw the entire steering geometry off. And at 3 inches dropped, your gonna feel it big time.

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 11-07-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 AM

I realize all that more than you think and was skeptical in the first place. I've pursued longer ball joints and flipped tie rod ends on a different chassis with zero aftermarket suspension support.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM

^Thats what I forgot to say yesterday, longer ball joints should lower the control arms a little, which should make the issue a little better.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 AM

For what it's worth, I was running 1* of negative camber. Which is pretty conservative IMO. If anyone thinks this is a problem in general or that it wrecks tires, I'm not having that convo with you.

The toe was well within alignment specs.
This is so weird, some have issues with the kit, some don't. I had an issue because the shop couldnt get my camber right, org member yoitsme had the erratic steering too, he adjusted his camber and the problem was solved more or less. He still has it on his car, b15azn was going to do longer ball joints and more things for the maxima scene but at this point doesn't even seem like its worth it anymore. Another guy from Philly has it on his car, I cant remember his forum name, Ryan with the slammed 5th gen plastdipped has the kit on his car, no issues with it at all so idk.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM

This.
Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Your dropped 3 inches and your trying to correct only 1 component on the front end. You do realize how far out of whack the lower control arms are with a drop like that? The geometry of the front end is changed, adjustable tie rod ends are not the solution. Your only putting the steering rack back in line with the hub, not the swing of the lower control arm, which is matched to the stock tie rod position. Those ends will throw that completely off. Your actually making it worse by changing the geometry of the steering and control arm angle.

I wouldn't even dream of putting on spaced tie rods without having roll center adjusters to correct the control arms as well. Unfortunately, this is not an option thanks to the ball joint design of our cars. To properly correct your suspension geometry you need to address all angles.

I have these on my MR2 along with spaced tie rods from TechnoToyTuning.com. They go between the control arm and the ball joint and bring the CAs down to almost the original angle. Without something like this you are likely to have worse performance than without the spaced tie rods. Those cars are extremely susceptible to bump steer when lowered and before these were installed it was not much fun to drive even with the mild drop I started with.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM

I'm not familiar with the MR2 LCAs. Do the ball joint studs point down? If they do and the spacers move the ball joint pivot point down, that would work well. If they point up and the base is bolted to the LCA, the pivot point isn't changed when spaced and by default neither is the roll center.

Likewise, on Maxima LCAs if you somehow spaced the ball joint, you're not moving the pivot point, only pushing the LCA down.

This would be the right way to go about modifying the ball joint pivot point.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 PM

****ty aftermarket support really killed off this car man, gotta come up with creative innovative things to be different.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Age really killed off this car man, gotta come up with creative innovative things to be different.
I've corrected that for you.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Sorry for late replyphone had no service and my laptop was down I had 2.5 inch drop used correct spacers had the car aligned right after the install the steering wheel didn't return back to position after a turn bump steer was worse and after a day alignment was out my toe in and stayed in no matter wat we did eventually switched back to Moog tie rod ends and problem was solved referred to install guides that tdmimports put on there FB page used correct spacer And I got fed up with them idk wat else to do here and I'm out 150 bucks now cuz the didn't work
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Got Retrofit?

I've never had any issues what so ever with my BSK. You can see my drop in my sig. I installed it with the silver washer under the knuckle. I even drove around without an alignment for at least a month (self adjusted toe) and had no issues. The ride only got better after the alignment.

They've been on the car for about ten months.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by tallguesse07
Sorry for late replyphone had no service and my laptop was down I had 2.5 inch drop used correct spacers had the car aligned right after the install the steering wheel didn't return back to position after a turn bump steer was worse and after a day alignment was out my toe in and stayed in no matter wat we did eventually switched back to Moog tie rod ends and problem was solved referred to install guides that tdmimports put on there FB page used correct spacer And I got fed up with them idk wat else to do here and I'm out 150 bucks now cuz the didn't work

What suspension are you on?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 AM

KGB agx and ground control sleeves 11k all around
Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 AM

^That my be one of the reasons the kit is such an issue for you. On coilovers there is lot of suspension travel that is removed/transferred. While lowered on springs and struts you still have the full stock travel, your springs have to preload past most of that travel and they are much softer than coilovers. With the kit its ideal to have the tie rods as horizontal as possible with the least amount of travel, with coilovers thats much more so that springs and struts.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 AM

I only have bout 1/4 of suspension travel with the sleeves