4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

do i have to remove exhaust to remove a transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 PM

do i have to remove exhaust to remove a transmission?

'97 Maxima, automatic. I'm in the process of dropping the tranny, and I've gotten to the point of removing the passenger side axle, dropping the center member and accessing the torque converter bolts.

Yeah. Right. The exhaust is right in the way, and it looks like I can work around it. It also looks like, unless the exhaust can support the axle shaft that sticks out of the transmission (and I don't think they were expecting this to happen when they designed this), that I'm going to have my hands full when I remove the transmission.

So if I'm lucky, I may be able to get the exhaust out, but that'll probably ad a day to this project. That's not the end of the world, but I thought before I unbolted everything from the front bumper to the rear license plate bracket, I'd ask here and see what others thought.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Removing the auto tranny on a 97 is not a hard job. No need to remove the exhaust, it will be tight but better than dealing with exhaust. I usually remove the passenger axle completely for more room but is not absolutely necessary. You can get away with removing the axle bracket of the engine and sliding the axle towards the hub as much as possibly, it will be very tight though and most likely you'll damage the axle seal.

I do a tranny replacement in about 10 hours the first time. Manual trannies are even faster.

I did drop the center crossmember.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I've done it both ways. If you have the tools available, leave the cross member and exhaust in place. The first time I did my clutch, Thanksgiving '04 BTW, I removed the y pipe and cross member. Screw that. Unless you have an engine support bar, leaving the engine supported by one mount and what ever garage ingenuity you can come up with was not my cup of tea. The engine stays put just fine without the trans mount.

The second time around, when it was time for a new trans due to differential bearings, I kept the exhaust and cross member be. I did have more tools and a better idea of how things worked that time around. I had to grind one of my wrenches to fit between the cross member and trans housing to get to some of the bolts.

Now I know that was on a 5 spd, but I have also removed an auto. I don't remember the specifics on removing the TC bolts, but isn't there plenty of room to remove the access cover and remove them? There is only a few bolts to remove any how.

Just take your time and don't cut corners on safety. I've also replaced enough drive shafts on Maximas, I can do it in my sleep. I find it simpler to remove both shafts completely and not worry about them being in the way.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 PM
No more Maximas...

Agreed, pull both axles out so you don't have to work around them.

Leave the Y-pipe and crossmember in place, saves time and makes things easier. Ever try to stab a trans and an axle at the same time on your back? Not fun.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks. Glad this forum is here!