4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Connector questions after engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Connector questions after engine replacement

Ok, I think I have a doozy for you guys. I have a 1995 Maxima. I ended up blowing a head gasket on it and pretty much destroying the engine. I ended up buying one from the junkyard which is a 1996 engine. Now I had a starting problem with it but I pretty much have that part figured out now.

Now this is what my engine looks like
Connector questions after engine replacement-calievap.jpg

And this is what my engine bay is like with the evap canister
Connector questions after engine replacement-evapcanister.jpg

Now, my wire harness and all doesn't have connectors for some of these, more notably the absolute pressure sensor, the MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve, and the evap canister purge volume control valve. And maybe a couple more. My question would be, since my ecu isn't taking into account these things, since its not made to detect those, is there anyway to go around them or remove them so the ecu isn't trying to compensate for something it knows nothing about?

It's not throwing codes for any of these because its not looking for them of course. But my car has had a rough idle the majority of the time and i'm thinking this is a good possibility since it may be trying to compensate for something its not suppose to.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. You all have helped me in the past and I like how good everyone is. Thank you
Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You have a 95 Fed spec, which is rather rare. Remove all the donor parts you don't need and reinstall the emissions equipment from the 95 engine. 95 is more mechanical and less electric in regards to the emissions equipment.

Also clean the throttle body along with the idle air control valve and check the TPS and adjust if needed.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
You have a 95 Fed spec, which is rather rare. Remove all the donor parts you don't need and reinstall the emissions equipment from the 95 engine. 95 is more mechanical and less electric in regards to the emissions equipment.

Also clean the throttle body along with the idle air control valve and check the TPS and adjust if needed.
Well I no longer have the old engine. Is there anything I could do? I know junkyard would be next for anything, but any specifics as to what I can take out, if I even can?I already cleaned TB and IACV.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

As stated above, you should have remove the parts from the donor and installed the parts from yours that match your vehicles emission layout.