4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to bleed cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 PM

How to bleed cooling system?

Just got a '97 Maxima running, and while going over it, I noticed that the cooling reservoir was filled with straight water. I drained the radiator, and, sure enough, the coolant clear with a hint of green tint. The car was from Knoxville, and it's now quite a ways north of there now-a few weeks ago we got down to 1 above, lucky no damage.

Since I drained the fluid and replaced with antifreeze, the engine never heats up, and the temp gauge never moves off of zero. I was afraid I'd screwed something up, but the motor never feels hot, even after driving for over a half hour. Before changing, the temp was OK, so I think the thermostat is good. Right now I'm leaving the radiator cap off as a precaution, but if I need to bleed this, what's a good way to do it?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 PM

You need to bring it to the dealer to do it. There's probably an air pocket, because it's nearly impossible to burp all of the air out of the engine. They have a special tool to get all of the air out. I had to after i drained all of mine to do the water pump, and the heat wouldn't work and temp kept saying the engine was overheating when it really wasnt.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I never really had any problems after doing cooling system service.(waters pumps, thermostats, hoses, or coolant exchange).I use the spill proof funnel.sold at a lot of auto parts stores.attach the funnel to the radiator. fill the radiator with coolant until coolant is about halfway in the funnel.then let the car run for like 20 mins with heat turned to highest setting. (Keeping and eye on the temp gauge and how the hoses feel).i also raise the rpms a (randomly)to get a little more flow from water pump to push out more air.after about 15mins most of the air should bubble out in the funnel. I let it run until I few the thermostat open and fan kicks in.if gauge reads normal temp.shut the car off .wait 15mins(or ovrr night if still acting up) then remove funnel and put on radiator cap.works for me every time.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:38 PM

Thanks. Guys at the garage across the street from me told me about using a large funnel a few years ago, but I had forgotten about it until now. I'll check that out.

Has been slowly siphoning from the overfill reservoir as I've been driving it.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 AM

Although you didn't mention it I'm assuming you opened the coolant bleeders on the block as referenced here. http://web.archive.org/web/200806181...ca/mvp.php/502
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've gotten good results by:
Radiator cap left off
Parking the car on an inlcine so the radiator is way up
Bleeding for a long time, like and hour to an hour and a half
Car continuously idling with revs to 3000 every so often,
Heater on full blast

After that, car runs great, heater roasts me when I want it to, and temp gauge works fine.

I have never removed those plugs on the engine block,,,,,way way too much hassle.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by pottzie
Since I drained the fluid and replaced with antifreeze, the engine never heats up, and the temp gauge never moves off of zero. I was afraid I'd screwed something up, but the motor never feels hot, even after driving for over a half hour. Before changing, the temp was OK, so I think the thermostat is good. Right now I'm leaving the radiator cap off as a precaution, but if I need to bleed this, what's a good way to do it?
Do you have heat in the cabin? If not I'm thinking thermostat failed and stuck open. Otherwise check the harness at the temp sending unit near upper rad hose. Hell do that anyway before you bleed. The connector on the harness can get corroded onto the sensor and you'll end up with no action on the dash.