4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why did my coolant reservoir just empty out of coolant after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Why did my coolant reservoir just empty out of coolant after oil change?

I have already noticed that I keep having to top off my coolant reservoir on irregular intervals. But, I changed the oil yesterday (without the filter) and noticed although the reservoir was 1/4 full before I changed it (car was hot), it went completely empty after I changed it and checked it again (car was sitting overnight). I also checked radiator cap and the coolant level in there seemed normal.

I had an oil analysis a few thousand miles ago and although they say the engine was wearing wearing normally...they noticed a small amount of a particular substance that suggested it could be a coolant leak. But it was after 6,500 miles of use and it didn't seem in would be an issue.

So now I'm just like, what the hell. I'm wondering if it's either waterpump or internal crack somewhere in the engine. I've already replaced radiator and thermostat in the past. I haven't noticed/seen any leaks (except that time I didn't tighten the lower radiator hose hard enough when I changed the radiator
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 PM

no coolant in you oil?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
no coolant in you oil?
I didn't realize it until the next morning. Since the car was hot, the coolant reservoir was 1/4 full (its usually above the full line when hot). Or maybe it was already low since the car was hot

But, I just filled it a couple weeks ago. So maybe it didn't empty all at once...I just know it's not leaking on the ground.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM

soo what would happen if ya had no coolant, car starts to overheat but pull over as soon as possible, would this harm the engine or anything? and then of course afterwards putting coolant after realizing your out of coolant.

i never experienced overheating but im curious what are the bad affects of it and is there anythin to worry about it? and after seeing the car overheating, making sure coolant is there etc.. fixing problem asap so that it does not overheat again.

i do remember putting half full to coolant last December.. dont know how long that should last, then when i got an oil change a month ago they put some coolant there and did not charge me anything, idk how much they put in since it was no charge

i live in 40-60 degree weather right now if that helps, usually 70-90s degrees after march

Last edited by JoshG; 01-22-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoshG
soo what would happen if ya had no coolant, car starts to overheat but pull over as soon as possible, would this harm the engine or anything? and then of course afterwards putting coolant after realizing your out of coolant.

i never experienced overheating but im curious what are the bad affects of it and is there anythin to worry about it? and after seeing the car overheating, making sure coolant is there etc.. fixing problem asap so that it does not overheat again.
definately not good to over heat....allumimium doesnt like it! warped heads are just one thing that can happen!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If your adding coolant, you have a small leak.
As the cooling system cools, it will pull coolant from the tank. That's why after your oil change and the cooling off of your engine, the reserve was empty.

Find the leak.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Try a new radiator cap first. Our radiator seals where the aluminum crimps to the plastic is also suspect. If it ever overheats that seal can develop a leak. It may not be dramatic but just enough for you to lose a little coolant over time. Also check to make sure you have the overflow coolant hose secured at the ends.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM

If you're lucky you have a bad radiator. Check it around the edges for cracks and separation. Nissan radiators in the 4th and 5th gen Maxima's are aluminum with pressed on plastic tops, which are notorious for failure. If you're unlucky it's a head gasket. The radiator is the fix you want to pay for. Btw, if it is the radiator, get an after market one.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
If you're lucky you have a bad radiator. Check it around the edges for cracks and separation. Nissan radiators in the 4th and 5th gen Maxima's are aluminum with pressed on plastic tops, which are notorious for failure. If you're unlucky it's a head gasket. The radiator is the fix you want to pay for. Btw, if it is the radiator, get an after market one.
Well, I changed my radiator already a few months ago. I can check around it again, but I'm pretty sure it's not leaking though anywhere. It was doing it prior to my changing it also.

Do you think a leaking waterpump would also cause this perhaps? Being that the instructions for removal call for draining the oil?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 PM

It was the waterpump in my case. I couldnt really tell until it got very bad. Like there were no signs. No coolant would be on the floor or anything. I drove the car without any coolant in the overflow tank for the longest time. Hell I drove from NYC to Connecticut with my radiator half empty. Didn't know I had waterpump problems until it was too late in my case.