4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ridiculous creaking/popping

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM

Ridiculous creaking/popping

I've been getting this loud popping from the passenger side I can feel in the accelerator when taking off at a light going straight. And also creaking when slowing down. After searching a lot, the most convincing answer was sway bar bushings and endlinks. I just replaced those and the noise is still there. My control arms have no play and ball joints are fine. Wheel bearings were replaced 4k miles ago. Also my motor mounts look fine. Axles are remanufactured (I know I know) but I dont seem to hear any clicking when turning and they are seated properly. I'm out of ideas. What can it be? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax
I've been getting this loud popping from the passenger side I can feel in the accelerator when taking off at a light going straight. And also creaking when slowing down. After searching a lot, the most convincing answer was sway bar bushings and endlinks. I just replaced those and the noise is still there. My control arms have no play and ball joints are fine. Wheel bearings were replaced 4k miles ago. Also my motor mounts look fine. Axles are remanufactured (I know I know) but I dont seem to hear any clicking when turning and they are seated properly. I'm out of ideas. What can it be? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
If you covered swaybar links and balljoints as far as creaking goes i'd now look toward spring and strut and if your getting some tension and popping when turning possibly spring is under tension and if thats the case upper strut mount bearing.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92

If you covered swaybar links and balljoints as far as creaking goes i'd now look toward spring and strut and if your getting some tension and popping when turning possibly spring is under tension and if thats the case upper strut mount bearing.
It only happens when going straight though. It also doesnt matter if the road is bumpy or flat. And I did do the strut bearings when I lowered my max about 3k miles ago. I wrapped thw springs with rubber hose too. So im very confused here.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 AM

Sub frame bushing.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Did you clock the upper spring perch correctly when you put the springs on?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Did you clock the upper spring perch correctly when you put the springs on?
I'm positive I did. The sound cant suddenly appear after 3k miles. Im worried that passenger side axle came out of box total garbage. But I did the engine braking test I read in another thread and I couldnt duplicate the pop sound. Im more worried about the pop, but I'm pretty sure the creaking is related.

Edit: Im not sure of the condition of the subframe bushings. Would it make any of the sounds im describing? I'll have to check that out too.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 02-01-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Axles don't creak, I've never hear a complaint on here of sub frame bushings creaking either. Control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar components and an improperly clocked strut assembly all cause mysterious noises.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 AM

I have determined that the creaking is more like a rubbing or squeeking (passenger side). Kind of like a squeegee. Decreases when decreasing speed; more noticeable when riding the brake but still there faintly cruising at 5-10 mph. Either its brakes or wheel bearing/hub assembly? I do recall seeing 2 shims on the brakes before I did my axles. When assembling I only saw 1. My friend said there should only be 1?

Edit: the sound is now metallic at times, but not always. The squeak comes and goes too. Theyre definitely rotational sounds.

As for the popping, which has me most concerned, it seems like it happens after traveling about 1 mile or so (or having applied the brakes many times) It definitely feels in the gas pedal. Sounds like in the passenger side too but could be wrong.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 02-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 PM

I found the source of the pop. When turning the steering wheel, my driver side strut moves. I can see from the strut tower, the nut moving all over the place. Its my strut mount. Or is it my strut bearing or both?

As for the creaking, rubbing, squealing, grinding (its constantly changing). I still think my wheel bearing is going bad or its my brakes/rotors. The sound is definitely rotational.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: found my answer, strut mount indeed.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 02-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM

I have very similiar sounds coming from the right front of my 96 and also only when going straight. hadn't checked the strut but I did find that one of the bolt holes on the the caliper mounting bracket is stripped from a previous owner so its not allowing the bolt to be tightened up all the way I assume letting the caliper move around a bit. I realize you found your problem but since nobody had mentioned it that I saw, Im gonna throw it in here as something to check for future viewers.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Neither the Strut mount or brakes fixed anything. The sounds have become more constant at all speeds.... screeching and loud popping.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 AM

For those who care to know, the popping was the wheel bearing. As soon as I removed the axle nut on the passenger side, the hub came out by hand and the ball bearings just spilled all over the place. I never had the infamous humming or wheel wobble. Replaced it and problem solved. I didnt have time to do the drivers side but I suspect that bearing is toast too, same popping starting, but less intense.

Im still trying to get to the bottom of the scraping/screeching/creaking sound on the passenger side. Its less intense now too. Warped rotor maybe. My old pads were worn uneven. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 02-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax
For those who care to know, the popping was the wheel bearing. As soon as I removed the axle nut on the passenger side, the hub came out by hand and the ball bearings just spilled all over the place. I never had the infamous humming or wheel wobble. Replaced it and problem solved. I didnt have time to do the drivers side but I suspect that bearing is toast too, same popping starting, but less intense.

Im still trying to get to the bottom of the scraping/screeching/creaking sound on the passenger side. Its less intense now too. Warped rotor maybe. My old pads were worn uneven. Sorry for the rant.
Sub frame bushing or mabey axle
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Sub frame bushing.
/thread
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM

Would the subframe bushing make a sound relative to my speed and tire rotation?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Nope. Whoops..

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 02-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.