4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

suspension?? help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

suspension?? help!!

Ok so I got a fourth gen maxima (99) and it seems like the
suspension is shot on it I just feel every damn bulb in the road.
And when I say feel I mean it feels like my car bottoms out
every time lol I mean its really loud when I hit the smallest bump
too... I bought the car two years ago and it has done it since day
one. No I'm not 100% sure but it looks lowered in the front
compared to other maximas I have seen on the road. If that's
true will this cause the rough *** ride?

Plz get back to me thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could be the case some fool cut the springs to drop the car. However even aftermarket springs and/or struts can cause a stiffer ride.

Imo your struts are likely shot. However we can speculate all day and it wont mean anything until you inspect the situation yourself. You can either learn crash course style by reading up on the forums (use search bar, type generic terms like rough ride) and fix it yourself, or bring it to a shop and throw money at the problem.

Id start off by identifying the condition of the struts and springs, and seeing if they are oem or aftermarket. Out of curiousity why did you wait this long lol?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So my next question would be is it possible to replace the struts and coils at home... keep in mind I know how to do a little bit of stuff like oil change radiator and even done a few axels in my time...

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Id start off by identifying the condition of the struts and springs, and seeing if they are oem or aftermarket. Out of curiousity why did you wait this long lol?

Well I was still making payments on it so I wasn't trying to sink a bunch of cash into a car that I didn't have a pink slip for... basic maintenance is all I would do.... just paid it off so now its time to sink some cash into it ya know
Old 02-03-2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by maxima209
So my next question would be is it possible to replace the struts and coils at home... keep in mind I know how to do a little bit of stuff like oil change radiator and even done a few axles in my time...
Of course you can do it yourself. You should be able to install all four in about half a day. If you've installed axles, you can surely do this.

The rears are simple. The fronts are quite easy as well but with just a little more attention to small items that must be disconnected and such.

There are a number of nice you tube videos and lots of info here as well.

A front end alignment will be necessary after the install.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by maxima209
So my next question would be is it possible to replace the struts and coils at home... keep in mind I know how to do a little bit of stuff like oil change radiator and even done a few axels in my time...

Well I was still making payments on it so I wasn't trying to sink a bunch of cash into a car that I didn't have a pink slip for... basic maintenance is all I would do.... just paid it off so now its time to sink some cash into it ya know
Very easy to do yourself, rears took me about a half hour no biggie and the fronts were a little longer but not to difficult, hit all the bolts with wd40 the night before especially on the front struts... An allignment is needed after messing with any of the front suspension, i recomend Monroe complete struts there not to pricey and very efficient