4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 Max - fuel smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 AM

1999 Max - fuel smell in cabin

Hey, Maxima Noob here. My DD is a 99 Maxima, it's been in the family for a number of years now, and has since been passed onto me.
During the colder months of winter, there will be a fuel smell in the cabin when using the defroster.
This will last until the car has warmed up (or I shut the defroster off).
I'm familiar with fuel hoses expanding and contracting based on weather temps, and clamps becoming loose. However, I've looked in the engine bay with car running and haven't SEEN any visible fuel leaks.
Where in particular should I look? Does the plenum have to be removed to see/access any important fuel components?
Side note: I've worked on my own cars in the past, and have solid knowledge, but am not a certified mechanic :P
I also understand Nissan, as I own a Nissan sports car in addition to the Maxima.
I just want to tackle this fuel smell before something bad happens.
Recently changed front oxygen sensors, FYI.
Thanks! Hope I get warm welcomes, as I just joined this forum.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Possibly the EGR system. I think mine got a faint fuel smell in the cabin before I cleaned my EGR system(to the best of my ability). Is it extremely strong, or just barely noticeable?

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM

It's not overbearing, but it's def annoying and not 100% so I'd like it detected and fixed ASAP.

Thanks for the reply.

Car is 100% stock by the way.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM

How exactly do you "clean the EGR system"?

I've been clicking around this forum, sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

I might try a new gas cap, as I never hear a hissss when I unscrew the cap, and it's also never been changed (14 yrs old)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

EGR is Exhaust gases, not fuel.

Check the fuel lines from the fuel rail back through the fuel filter and down under the car to the tank. Your looking for any signs of leakage. Also check the fuel filler tube on the gas tank. My 99 rotted out and started leaking fuel when the tank was full. I had to cut out the rotted section of tube and replace it with fuel safe hose.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I get the fuel smell when using the defroster, and air is being blown into the cabin. If I turn it off, the smell goes away. Smell also goes away as car warms up, or if I drive.

I wasn't sure what was implied by "cleaning the EGR system".

I also didn't smell any fuel when sniffing around the engine bay. I assume that leaking fuel would certainly give off a gas smell.

I'll see if I can locate any wet spots - hints of leakage.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Well, during the cold the car will intentionally run rich until it warms up. Are you sure it's not that? Unburnt fuel in the exhaust?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 AM

It certainly could be running rich. Car has 88k on it, and I just had to replace the front 2 o2 sensors. Something is making me think it's running TOO rich, and fouled out the o2's, as they should last longer than that I'd expect.
I'm familiar with the whole, running rich on start-up topic. Although, this still shouldn't create an actual fuel smell in the cabin. Also, the car doesn't smoke, AT ALL, and the exhaust vapors do not smell rich either.
Where exactly are the most suspect fuel lines located? It looks like there are some under the upper plenum, but I've never removed one on these cars.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 06:05 AM

I had that issue when I had a leaking hose at the fuel filter. As suggested, check all the rubber lines under the hood.. Best when the car is cold and just started.. Mine would not leak once warmed up, and the smell would only be there on cold startup for a few mins..
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 AM

I was actually going to change the fuel filter, not sure when it's been changed.
Just looking at it quickly the other day, it seems like a small chore, is it easy to change? Any pointers?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 AM

I had fuel leaking from the gas like running next to the air intake manifold on the drivers side of the car. One of the plastic clips helping to hold the hose on was backed out a little, along with a screw not being tight. Could probably check there, too. But you saying it goes away when the car is warmed up is what makes me think it has nothing to do with fuel lines, because they wouldn't swell that much, if any.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDD
I was actually going to change the fuel filter, not sure when it's been changed.
Just looking at it quickly the other day, it seems like a small chore, is it easy to change? Any pointers?
Fuel filter isn't too bad, as long as you relieve fuel pressure first. I suggest using the 300zx filter. It's a lot bigger, so it lasts longer for pretty much the same price. It's what I'm using on mine.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 AM

If you still original hoses to/from fuel filter, might want to change them now... When I first changed the fuel filter on my 99 the hoses would not come off the fuel filter (it was like they were glued on), and it was less hassle just to change the hoses too.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
Fuel filter isn't too bad, as long as you relieve fuel pressure first. I suggest using the 300zx filter. It's a lot bigger, so it lasts longer for pretty much the same price. It's what I'm using on mine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a bigger filter used on a stock max drop the fuel pressure? I thought that was something you'd only really want to use if you were running NOS or SC.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM

This could be the cause of the smell:

A rusted out fuel filler hose that leaks premium gas...
Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jfactor
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflion

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a bigger filter used on a stock max drop the fuel pressure? I thought that was something you'd only really want to use if you were running NOS or SC.
Just takes a little longer for pressure to build up at first. I havent had any problems with it and I've been using it for a year, now.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Hey "ThaMax".... how would I go about inspecting that?
I'm very curious now.
It's been very cold lately, and when warming up the car in the morning the fuel smell in lingering in the cabin still.
I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, but I don't have any visible fuel leaks in the engine bay.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM

I have the similar issue lately when in extreme cold morning in the north east after car starts up, with heater on, even car is warmed up, still smell fuel at stop or very low speed. No fuel smell coming home from work since during the day the car is parked in inside garage. I did not have chance to check it, but it might be the fuel injector seals due to contraction in cold weather?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM

A rubber fuel could be the culprit. As they get old, they become brittle and develop minute cracks. In the early stages, they will only leak when cold and the material is contracted and even more brittle. As the car runs, the hose heats up, expanding and sealing the crack. The amount of gas that leaks is so small that it evaporates instantly and you never see it.

Very common occurrence on the 3rd gen Maximas.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
A rubber fuel could be the culprit. As they get old, they become brittle and develop minute cracks. In the early stages, they will only leak when cold and the material is contracted and even more brittle. As the car runs, the hose heats up, expanding and sealing the crack. The amount of gas that leaks is so small that it evaporates instantly and you never see it.

Very common occurrence on the 3rd gen Maximas.
Do you mean "rubber hose"?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned

How exactly do you "clean the EGR system"?

I've been clicking around this forum, sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

I might try a new gas cap, as I never hear a hissss when I unscrew the cap, and it's also never been changed (14 yrs old)
do u have the jackpot evap code small leak?i did and bought a new cap to no cure, i still didnt hear hissing when opening cap, but after a little while longer i started to smell gas, so i climbed under the car beneath the gas filler and smelled around...and bingo i found a broken "vaccuum cut vlave" ..it was broke right where one of the four hoses connected to it...so i took it off cleaned it up and carefully put a dab of super glue(very small just to be a quick mend)on it and glued the hose fitting back together, than i went and bought some killer opoxy(forgot which branD)and put a nice glob all the way around it and it seems like it would be stronger than when new!!....no more gas smell , no more evap code...and plenty of hissing when taking off the cap now!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Hey "ThaMax".... how would I go about inspecting that?
I'm very curious now.
It's been very cold lately, and when warming up the car in the morning the fuel smell in lingering in the cabin still.
I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, but I don't have any visible fuel leaks in the engine bay.

Thanks
Gas evaporates quickly, so you may have some difficulty finding it. I've been following this thread for a few weeks since I've been having the same issue as you described: strong smell of gas whenever the heater is on. Today I gave up my search for the source and took my Maxima ('95) to Sears. The mechanic found the leak (plus a dozen or so other issues) pretty quickly. Turned out to be a short hose (approximately 4 inches) in the engine compartment. He replaced it and the clamp (clamps?) holding it. Maybe I would've spotted the leak myself if I'd had a friend pump the accelerator while I was searching under the hood.

Last edited by Herald; 01-24-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
Do you mean "rubber hose"?
Yeah, I'm sure he meant rubber fuel hose..
Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem and here's what I found.... If I took a small mirror and slid it down back by the firewall, in the middle maybe a little to the right if looking in the motor there will be 2 fuel lines you can see with 2 small clamps. mine was dripping slowly and would only leak on start up. the only way I could get it was a 1/4 with swivel and a extension.
Get a small mirror with handle and you'll see the 2 hoses.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:45 PM

About an hour or two ago I posted about one of the hoses I had replaced today. Here are pics I took after the job (in case you want to check the hose on your Maxima).

By the way, I'm noticing this now as I'm examining these pics. Do these appear to be the appropriate hoses for fuel? I'm not certain what the marking says. ("Not for fuel"? "Not for fuel injection"? "Not for fuel usage"?)

If this guy put the wrong type of hose(s) on my car (he put two, I believe), I'm gonna be pissed. I gave him a really good tip (and believe I was overcharged for the job anyway).

Last edited by Herald; 01-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM

"Not for FUEL" Be pissed!!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
"Not for FUEL" Be pissed!!
I am!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think this might be your problem...theres 2 fuel lines close to the fire wall. the clamps need tightened up.

sorry about the bad pic but you can see the clamp of one of the lines. If you take a mirror and slide it down beside the motor to the left of the cruise control unit you will see both lines. Look at cold start up and I bet you see drops of fuel coming. the clamps needs tightened.

Last edited by slickblack94; 01-26-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 AM

I needed gas this morning on the way to work, so I filled the tank.
After I started it back up, the "service engine soon" light came on.
I haven't had time to go to AutoZone yet for them to run codes, but what is the usual cause of this?
Bad gas cap???

Thanks in advance