4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help me choose between two Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Help me choose between two Maximas

Im looking for a new car and found these two gems near me.

Which is best?
http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/4453074979.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/4452382296.html

The gold one has rust along the rear wheel well and it's bubbling. There's also rust underneath the side rockers. But it's four years newer..

The black ones passenger window doesn't roll down... but it's got leather interior and has 20k less miles..

Planning on looking at both of them in the next 12 hours. Help me ASAP!

Last edited by CarlW; 05-03-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 PM

Less miles less rust sounds good without even clicking a link.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:18 PM

I would pick the 95 because it doesn't have NATS.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In the engine/electronics department, the 99 has NATs, swirl valves etc annoying emissions gook etc. The 95 doesn't.

The 99 looks way better, those pretty OEM 16" rims, nice gold color.
Leather is not all that and could very easily be added to the 99 later.
Even though the seats are cloth, the driver's seat is powered. Maybe not the passenger, but oh well. No biggie in my book. And again, it can easily be added later.
The OEM radio is still there. A BIG bonus for me, because that means the internal electronics were probably not messed with.
The shift **** is stock, untouched.
OEM carpeted floormats. NICE.
The steering wheel shows some wear, but still looks quite good.
The 99 has a new clutch, struts etc plus other maintenance. NICE.

The 95 has no maintenance history and merely a suggestion of one.
The 95 steering wheel is so worn out that the it has a cheesy steering wheel cover hiding it.
The 95's stereo....half assed effort replacing the stock radio. Maybe that front passenger power window stopped working after the stereo install
Aftermarket tweeters are ugly.
Aftermarket shift ****.
I don't think the leather seats in the 95 came with that car. They were added later. Black car, black dash, black door panels, gray carpeting but sage mist green leather? Look at how the seats contrast with the gray floor carpeting. They don't match. And he tries to hide it with those not-so-pretty aftermarket floor mats.
Sage Mist green leather was only in 97-99 Maximas.
This 95 maxima seems to have more of a history than the seller is letting on. What else could be wrong with that car? Hmmmmm.

Despite the rust, I would go for the 99. The 99 looks like it was treated with care and hasn't been messed with much. The 95 does not.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Administrator

error 404: valid thread title not found... at "Much help needed"

Thread title revised to something meaningful...

These are far from gems, but as much as I hate the color gold, I think that's the best choice...however you have me concerned with the rust. And it bothers me that the rust was not disclosed on the ad or shown in the pictures. It seems you only learned this by talking to him on the phone?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Administrator

those leather seats in the 95 look grey to me, although I do see a hint of green in them too....something is definitely off about those seats because only beige and charcoal leather seats were offered in 95.

Last edited by The Wizard; 05-04-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Here's something to consider below.

The prices I see in Ohio are easily $1,000 less than the going price for a 5-speed Maxima in my area -- that is IF you can find one. I've found a Maxima 5-speed will usually cost $700 more than a comparable automatic in this area.

Here's a $1,700 4th Gen Automatic with Salvage Title and a few issues.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/4439999173.html

Here's one for $3,950 with a couple of dings and an aftermarket radio.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/4446526832.html

So if you don't like the one you buy, I'm sure you can sell it around here for a profit.

:
:

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-04-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
those leather seats in the 95 look grey to me, although I do see a hint of green in them too....something is definitely off about those seats because only beige and charcoal leather seats were offered in 95.
Realy? Well i guess the 99 is a better choice..

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Here's something to consider below.

The prices I see in Ohio are easily $1,000 less than the going price for a 5-speed Maxima in my area -- that is IF you can find one. I've found a Maxima 5-speed will usually cost $700 more than a comparable automatic in this area.

Here's a $1,700 4th Gen Automatic with Salvage Title and a few issues.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/4439999173.html

Here's one for $3,950 with a couple of dings and an aftermarket radio.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/4446526832.html

So if you don't like the one you buy, I'm sure you can sell it around here for a profit.

:
:
That wouldn't be a bad idea!

error 404: valid thread title not found... at "Much help needed"

Thread title revised to something meaningful...

These are far from gems, but as much as I hate the color gold, I think that's the best choice...however you have me concerned with the rust. And it bothers me that the rust was not disclosed on the ad or shown in the pictures. It seems you only learned this by talking to him on the phone?
Yeah i called him and he told me about the rust. I am thinking this is the one to go with. And thanks for the title change.

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
In the engine/electronics department, the 99 has NATs, swirl valves etc annoying emissions gook etc. The 95 doesn't.

The 99 looks way better, those pretty OEM 16" rims, nice gold color.
Leather is not all that and could very easily be added to the 99 later.
Even though the seats are cloth, the driver's seat is powered. Maybe not the passenger, but oh well. No biggie in my book. And again, it can easily be added later.
The OEM radio is still there. A BIG bonus for me, because that means the internal electronics were probably not messed with.
The shift **** is stock, untouched.
OEM carpeted floormats. NICE.
The steering wheel shows some wear, but still looks quite good.
The 99 has a new clutch, struts etc plus other maintenance. NICE.

The 95 has no maintenance history and merely a suggestion of one.
The 95 steering wheel is so worn out that the it has a cheesy steering wheel cover hiding it.
The 95's stereo....half assed effort replacing the stock radio. Maybe that front passenger power window stopped working after the stereo install
Aftermarket tweeters are ugly.
Aftermarket shift ****.
I don't think the leather seats in the 95 came with that car. They were added later. Black car, black dash, black door panels, gray carpeting but sage mist green leather? Look at how the seats contrast with the gray floor carpeting. They don't match. And he tries to hide it with those not-so-pretty aftermarket floor mats.
Sage Mist green leather was only in 97-99 Maximas.
This 95 maxima seems to have more of a history than the seller is letting on. What else could be wrong with that car? Hmmmmm.

Despite the rust, I would go for the 99. The 99 looks like it was treated with care and hasn't been messed with much. The 95 does not.
I think im learning toward the gold one.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Get the 99, then sell me your drivers side seat bottom
Old 05-04-2014, 09:16 AM

If ur going to buy the 99, If u look very closely u can see a bit damage on the driver quarter panel at the very bottom. Very clean overall, Thats how I bought my Pearl white maxima, Very clean, just minor driver rear quarter panel damage. And 2years later... No real problems except changing an old battery... oil changes.. not that many problems.

I say go with 99... Looks better but the 95 has less miles and no body damage.. So tough choice for ya bud. thats probably why the 99 refused to show the rear while 95 took pictures all around. So 99 is going to need some quarter panel work if u wish... as well as some rust in future,

so If u wish to give it more body work love then it wont be a problem since he took good care of motor, thats the path i took when I bought my pearl white, "took care of car and interior, just needs a little love on body work"

Last edited by JoshG; 05-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 PM

So the guy with the gold 99 SE TOTALLY sugarcoated the whole "hardly noticeable" rust thing. The rear wheel well was doing much bubbling, and the side rockers were so rotted out that my dad could fit his entire hand through it. Even worse, he didnt even tell me the floorboards were rusted and had holes in the drivers side (covered by a floor mat). Oddly enough, the black 95 was a little over 2 blocks away and my dad went ahead over there to check it out. Talking to the guy with the black 95 learned that it HAS been taken good care of and had been barely driven since their ownership.

While at work i got a text saying how rusted out the gold one was, and that my parents were on their way to see the black one. I later get a text stating how bad the 95 car ran. At this point I'm incredibly disappointed. Not only did i think i was wrong about both cars, but I had my parents drive two hours for nothing. I later text my dad apologizing for his time being wasted as he humorously replies with "Yeah, now you owe me dinner".

Then lunch time comes around and im checking my phone. My mom texts me saying a maxima just pops up my city and we're all looking at it together once i'm off work. As of now i couldn't care less, and have no motivation to even go. So here i am driving home and asking my parents to hurry so i can get this over with. We all aboard the car and and my dad obnoxiously yells "SHOOT, i left something at home."

We turn right into a street in the neighborhood and there stood the Black 95 SE in the middle of the cul-de-sac. Best prank ever. I couldn't be happier. Expect a build thread soon.

Name:  4acf20a0-03ca-4950-8e54-8efeafc4fc0f.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  dd4967de-789c-4185-a485-987e92e001b7.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  63.3 KB

Last edited by CarlW; 05-04-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Funny how u cant judge it until u see and drive it in person huh? =|

So what maxima are u going to lean towards to? looks like 95 to me.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM

haha wow so they said 95 ran so bad, but in reality they bought it secretly, and surprised you with the 95 in front of the garage.. That is amazing.

Congrats looks nice! best thing is no body damage, cant get any better than that.

what are ur plans for the car?

Last edited by JoshG; 05-04-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM

Congratulations OP.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! The first Maxima I bought and gave to son as his first car, was a Black 95 SE 5-speed from Ohio.

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Should've listened to the Org from the very beginning!!!! LOL! Mommy and Daddy's little boy! How cute......
Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 PM

oh its a first car, Great choice! He will definitely enjoy the ride, especially its a 5-speed. and is highly underrated for teenagers..alot of em go for the hondas and other crap so he will feel like hes "different" in a way. which is a nice feeling to be different.

Appreciate the gift and enjoy hope u got them a good dinner, I mean I would haha
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 PM

Great choice!!!! 95s rock!!! not alot of emmissions crap! Looks very nice, Mine has 255 thousand miles and still runs great!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM

Those pictures look a whole lot better than the ones the seller took for craigslist. Wow.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 AM

Haha nice prank and car, hurry up and throw a 3.5 in it
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 AM

Before I forget about the interior picture, I've seen ONE early (first year 90 model) Q45 with gray leather interior. When I saw your interior it made me think about this car's interior. Take a look at the glove box and door panels.

Name:  DSCN2354.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2352.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  55.2 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-05-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Got Retrofit?

'95 FTMFW! Looks great.

I would've suggested that one for sure just because I hate rust.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
'95 FTMFW! Looks great.

I would've suggested that one for sure just because I hate rust.
Thanks man. First thing i need to do is get some coilovers. I'm trying to lower it ALOT. Any suggestions?

Those pictures look a whole lot better than the ones the seller took for craigslist. Wow.
I took out my camera for some pics before the sun went down and quick edited them a little bit. I USED to hate the way 4th gens looked. I'm immediately in love with this one once i saw what you can do to these. Much more options than 3rd gens (my First first car).
Originally Posted by maxinout93
Great choice!!!! 95s rock!!! not alot of emmissions crap! Looks very nice, Mine has 255 thousand miles and still runs great!
Not too sure what emissions are but if it's a good thing i'm all for it! I'm at 133k now and hoping it'll last a LONG time .
Originally Posted by JoshG
oh its a first car, Great choice! He will definitely enjoy the ride, especially its a 5-speed. and is highly underrated for teenagers..alot of em go for the hondas and other crap so he will feel like hes "different" in a way. which is a nice feeling to be different.

Appreciate the gift and enjoy hope u got them a good dinner, I mean I would haha
I was looking at hondas but just two days ago i decided to go with a maxima. I had a 3rd gen and i just figured a newer 5spd would be so much worth it.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Hey guys I have finally learned how to the stick shift! I have driven it a few times and noticed a few problems.

Firstly, not every time but pretty often when I'm backing out of my driveway it will squeak like crazy for a little while then stop. I did Put power steering fluid in it but it still does it. Is my entire steering pump bad? How much is that to replace?

Also, the passenger window that didn't work actually works SOMETIMES. But when I go to put it down (from the driver side switch) I can hear a noise as if it's trying to roll down. Would a new regulator fix this problem?

Another small thing is my interior ceiling light. The rear one works fine but the one right above my shift lever does not. Does it just need a new bulb?

Also, my spoiler brake light doesn't work. How and where can I find parts to make that work again?

Oh and the AC blows but not very cold. How on earth can I get it to blow cold air?

Lastly, my drivers side fog light doesn't work. It's actually coming out of the bumper a little bit. It's really loose but still wired in. Hopefully I just need new bulbs?

Im trying to get this thing road ready
Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM

I vote for the old man tan maxima... Oh wait, nevermind... But for cold ac buy NASA gas at walmart. It's the blue can.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by CarlW
Hey guys I have finally learned how to the stick shift! I have driven it a few times and noticed a few problems.

Firstly, not every time but pretty often when I'm backing out of my driveway it will squeak like crazy for a little while then stop. I did Put power steering fluid in it but it still does it. Is my entire steering pump bad? How much is that to replace?

Also, the passenger window that didn't work actually works SOMETIMES. But when I go to put it down (from the driver side switch) I can hear a noise as if it's trying to roll down. Would a new regulator fix this problem?

Another small thing is my interior ceiling light. The rear one works fine but the one right above my shift lever does not. Does it just need a new bulb?

Also, my spoiler brake light doesn't work. How and where can I find parts to make that work again?

Oh and the AC blows but not very cold. How on earth can I get it to blow cold air?

Lastly, my drivers side fog light doesn't work. It's actually coming out of the bumper a little bit. It's really loose but still wired in. Hopefully I just need new bulbs?

Im trying to get this thing road ready
If you need some "In good cindition" foglights....I see them all day here in Houston....Let me know I can ship them to you for about $80 shipped.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Before asking us for help with light bulbs, why not dive in and check the bulbs yourself? All bulbs are easily replaceable.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Before asking us for help with light bulbs, why not dive in and check the bulbs yourself? All bulbs are easily replaceable.
Definitely this. Congrats on the car. Now get into it and get dirty. The way I learned about auto repair and engines was from my first car which was a 77 Datsun 280Z 5-Speed. Beautiful car. Bought it with a blown head gasket and had no idea what I was doing but I dove into it anyways. Took me three tries at it to finally learn what it meant to torque a head down properly. After that, I was hooked, and I've been wrenching on cars ever since.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 PM

i tried to diagnose the power steering issue and my dad insists the pump is shot. I found some replacements running a little over $100. My issue is on whether or not to do it myself to save cash or not.

Has anyone attempted this?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:32 PM

its better to have some1 who knows what they are doing, but it is good to know how to do it on your own to save money, but u dont want to screw anything up and make things worse.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM

I was going to suggest looking at the i30s. My brother was looking into Maximas but the vast majority in my area were just nearly beaten to death and the nice ones were overpriced for what he was looking for lol. And the i30's were actually in a whole lot better condition. Needless to say nice pick up...
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM

i tried to diagnose the power steering issue and my dad insists the pump is shot. I found some replacements running a little over $100. My issue is on whether or not to do it myself to save cash or not.

If it's just squeeling check the belt first before throwing money into a new p.s pump.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM

Is the pump leaking or just making howling noise? PS pumps are fairly simple devices. Usually a leaking seal or o-ring is the more common issue.

One thing to note before you change your pump. When I bought the 99 I30 the power steering pump was making a whining noise. It appeared the PS fluid had never been changed. So I took a "turkey baster" looking automotive fluid extractor and started changing the fluid until it the fluid cleared up. I used clear Valvoline PS fluid like I have in the picture since it is easy to tell when all of the old dirty fluid has been changed. After I replaced all of the old contaminated fluid with the clear Valvoline PS fluid, the whining noise disappeared. I changed the PS fluid last night in the Maxima to the fluid in the picture below. I also use it in the Q45.

Have you looked at the Field Service Manual (FSM) for the pump? I just finished putting my pump back in last night. While it is not hard, you are working in a relatively tight area that is just above the right side axle mount.

How are you equipped on tools?

There is a 24mm banjo bolt for the high pressure line. You will need to pick up two Nissan copper crush washers for the Banjo Bolt like the ones in the picture below.

There are two 12mm bolts that hold the low pressure line to the pump. I replaced the low pressure o-ring with o-rings from a set I purchased at Advance Auto last night.

One of the harder bolts to reach on the PS pump is a 14mm bracket bolt that attaches the pump to the block and the timing cover.

I've found the following 14mm flex head gear wrench to be worth its weight in gold for reaching the 14mm bracket bolt.

http://www.gearwrench.com/wrenches/r...ng-wrench.html

How are the CV joint boots? Are there any cracks in the boots? The reason I'm asking is if you need to replace the right CV joint/boot, it would be a good time to replace the CV joint and axle because the CV carrier bracket is near the PS pump. Getting the axle and bracket out of the way will make changing the pump easier.

Read the following review posted to Advance Auto about replacing the pump and how a gear wrench helps.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...09%7CL3*15715#

Rock Auto has the Cardone pump listed for $91.79 with core. I've not an issue with Cardone pumps in the past.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7380

If your pump is making a whining noise, I would try changing the PS fluid until it clears up to see if it remedies the noise problem. You might get lucky like I did on the 99 I30 and 95 Maxima SE with just a fluid change.

One last thing on changing the fluid, I let the motor run so the pump will circulate fluid through the reservoir while I use the extractor to remove the old fluid while replacing it with new fluid.

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-13-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 AM

^^^Trying this!

Last edited by The Wizard; 05-15-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Dexron ATF is the specced fluid. I would use maxlife dex/merc and see if the high mileage conditioners seal it back up.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM

The noise disappeared...

Now it's time to clean it up and start doing work to the max. I am concerned about what was stated earlier though, the grey interior looks very OEM and the seats even say Nissan on them. The dashboard looks sort of grey as well. I'll try to upload some interior pics soon to share.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:59 PM

The noise disappeared...

Now it's time to clean it up and start doing work to the max. I am concerned about what was stated earlier though, the grey interior looks very OEM and the seats even say Nissan on them. The dashboard looks sort of grey as well. I'll try to upload some interior pics soon to share.
Cool and congratulations! Care to let us in on your secret to PS noise success?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:47 PM

The noise disappeared...

Those are Nissan seats, just not 95 Maxima seats

I believe I saw your color leather in a 99 I30 Limited. I thougth they were sage mist green seats but they're not. I had a sage mist maxima and the leather was greener than those.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:36 PM

Those are Nissan seats, just not 95 Maxima seats

I believe I saw your color leather in a 99 I30 Limited. I thougth they were sage mist green seats but they're not. I had a sage mist maxima and the leather was greener than those.
oh okay that makes sense now.
Originally Posted by CS_AR
Cool and congratulations! Care to let us in on your secret to PS noise success?
i just put PS fluid in it, but i did that the day after i bought the car but never bled it enough i guess. The sound made the noise when turning up until four days ago.

Also, it's not possible to fit a 97-99 ionic dynamics rear valence on my 95 is it?

Last edited by CarlW; 05-21-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

GUYS! This is urgent!

I was going to leave for school today and my car wouldn't start. It was cranking for a really long time but never turned over and started.

My foot was completely on the clutch, but i feel like that's why it won't start. Lately, it hasn't been HARD, but sometimes it wouldn't let me shift into first gear. Yesterday i did smell a little bit of burning but i'm not sure if it was the clutch or local BBQ.

I also dont know if it's my driving, but i feel like i'm doing it right. Sometimes it will still jerk when shifting (from what i think is) smoothly.

The car SOMETIMES would take a few seconds to actually start, and when it took that long of a time it would make a grinding noise.
BTW : My check engine light has been on
What could it be?

Last edited by CarlW; 05-28-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me choose between two Maximas