4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No start. Whirring sound while car is off. Battery had to be killed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:45 AM

Been having some car troubles as of late.

The other day I started having what seemed like head gasket issues. White smoke from exhaust, really rough idling, poor acceleration. Car died on me and wouldn't start.

So I bought a starter.

I changed the starter, cleaned the maf, replaced the fuel filter, air filter, oil change.

The engine started after all this but still had white smoke out the tailpipe as well as tough idling/car dying.

I left the car for a couple of days, came back to it today to try and add the blue devil head gasket sealer.

I tried to start the car up twice and she wouldn't start after taking my key out of the ignition. It started making a loud whirring sound from somewhere in the engine bay. This sound would not stop until I cut the battery off.

Here's a video of the sound.

98 Maxima - Off:
Sorry the video is upside down.

Edit: When I reconnect the battery cable, there is a spark at the terminal and the sound immediately comes back on.

Last edited by SPER; 06-04-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:55 AM
Administrator

I don't get why you think you have a blown headgasket just because the car won't start?

When you say, "The engine started after all this but still had white smoke out the engine as well as tough idling/car dying." This could very well be one or more bad fuel injectors. You have the exact symptoms I had.

As far as it not starting, it could be a clogged or malfunctioning FPR. Happened to me as well in conjunction with my injector issues.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree thinking the head gasket is the cause of the no start issue; possibly the white smoke out the exhaust, but not the no start.

As for the noise, sounds like your new starter is malfunctioning. Just a guess though really.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I don't get why you think you have a blown headgasket just because the car won't start?

When you say, "The engine started after all this but still had white smoke out the engine as well as tough idling/car dying." This could very well be one or more bad fuel injectors. You have the exact symptoms I had.

As far as it not starting, it could be a clogged or malfunctioning FPR. Happened to me as well in conjunction with my injector issues.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree thinking the head gasket is the cause of the no start issue; possibly the white smoke out the exhaust, but not the no start.

As for the noise, sounds like your new starter is malfunctioning. Just a guess though really.
I wasn't attributing the no start to a head gasket issue. Was just stating some background information about the car.
I must have skipped a couple details, I edited my initial post. Sorry about that.

The car started up just fine the other day. The starter is brand new.. I don't know what it could be.

Last edited by SPER; 06-04-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 AM

Here's a video of the battery terminal being connected and then immediately the sound comes on..

Again:

Not sure what this could be, I've pulled the anti theft and ignition fuses. And still the sound comes on.
I can't seem to find the starter fuse. I'm going to pull more fuses to try and troubleshoot this..
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM

The noise is your new POS starter malfunctioning.

The white smoke could very well be a bad fuel injector. Do not use the blue devil without diagnosing first.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by asand1

The white smoke could very well be a bad fuel injector. Do not use the blue devil without diagnosing first.
Are you sure it is the starter? It does sound like the noise is coming from that general area.

The starter is brand new, and meets oem specs. No idea why it would be malfunctioning...

I bought the starter here.
Amazon.com: Db Electrical Shi0053 Starter For 3.0L Infiniti I30, Nissan Maxima 95 96 97 98 99: Automotive Amazon.com: Db Electrical Shi0053 Starter For 3.0L Infiniti I30, Nissan Maxima 95 96 97 98 99: Automotive
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Administrator

We're just using logic here. You just replaced the starter, and the noise is coming from that area so... if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a ...

Disconnect the electrical connections to the starter, then reconnect your battery and tell us what happens.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Deleted my post.. Electrical all the way..

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-04-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Sorry, been a few days. Unplugged the starter, still getting the same sound..
Old 06-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Hey Sper. I had the same thing happen with a new starter that I bought at Advance Auto on Thursday. When I went to their web site, I saw a new and a rebuilt starter. The core charge on the rebuilt was $42 and for the new it was $12. Now I've used rebuilt alternators and starters from Advance Auto several times over the years and never had a problem. This was my first new starter purchase.

So figured I would go for a new starter since the net cost was about $10 less than a rebuilt. When I opened the box I saw "Made In China" on a sticker. I thought about your video and cringed. Sure enough it happened to me too. The same wining noise happened and I had to disconnect the battery to make it quit.

So I went to the AA site and ordered the rebuilt starter. I used the TRT41 coupon code and got 40% off. Next I boxed up the new starter, returned it, and picked up the rebuilt. The next day I returned the core and got $42 credited to my card.

It turns out the rebuilt starters sold at Advance are from Remy. Also I noticed the rebuilt has the same type of gears as the original where the China version had shorter different looking gears.

About 3 years ago I purchased a Remy Rebuilt starter from a wrecked car in salvage yard for the I30. The starter didn't look too old so I figured I would snag it for $30 and keep it on hand. It turned out that I did need to replace the I30 starter a couple of months later so I installed the Remy Rebuilt from the salvage yard. That was 3 years ago and it works great to this day. The rebuilt starter that I picked up from Advance Auto last week works like a new (rebuilt) starter should. The rebuilt starter has a lifetime warranty.

So for less than $100 I replaced an old starter that was on its last leg with one that works great. I guess I will always buy rebuilt starters from now on.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SPER
Sorry, been a few days. Unplugged the starter, still getting the same sound..
You disconnected the battery cable from the starter? There is no doubt in my mind that the contacts in the solenoid are welded together, causing the starter to run but not engage the Bendix.

Disconnect the pos cable from battery. Disconnect from starter and tape good for isolation. Reconnect to battery. Noise should ne gone.

Last edited by asand1; 06-09-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Hey Sper. I had the same thing happen with a new starter that I bought at Advance Auto on Thursday. When I went to their web site, I saw a new and a rebuilt starter. The core charge on the rebuilt was $42 and for the new it was $12. Now I've used rebuilt alternators and starters from Advance Auto several times over the years and never had a problem. This was my first new starter purchase.

So figured I would go for a new starter since the net cost was about $10 less than a rebuilt. When I opened the box I saw "Made In China" on a sticker. I thought about your video and cringed. Sure enough it happened to me too. The same wining noise happened and I had to disconnect the battery to make it quit.

So I went to the AA site and ordered the rebuilt starter. I used the TRT41 coupon code and got 40% off. Next I boxed up the new starter, returned it, and picked up the rebuilt. The next day I returned the core and got $42 credited to my card.

It turns out the rebuilt starters sold at Advance are from Remy. Also I noticed the rebuilt has the same type of gears as the original where the China version had shorter different looking gears.

About 3 years ago I purchased a Remy Rebuilt starter from a wrecked car in salvage yard for the I30. The starter didn't look too old so I figured I would snag it for $30 and keep it on hand. It turned out that I did need to replace the I30 starter a couple of months later so I installed the Remy Rebuilt from the salvage yard. That was 3 years ago and it works great to this day. The rebuilt starter that I picked up from Advance Auto last week works like a new (rebuilt) starter should. The rebuilt starter has a lifetime warranty.

So for less than $100 I replaced an old starter that was on its last leg with one that works great. I guess I will always buy rebuilt starters from now on.
Ohh wow, that's definitely it then..

I actually had my car towed to a shop today and told them about the problem. Told them I installed a new starter myself etc, and then asked where I got it from. I told them I bought it from amazon and it had good reviews and says that it meets OEM specs. He then told me "Made in China?"..

I wonder if I should buy this remanufactured one at advance and have them install that for me, and then return the "Brand New" starter that I installed myself?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM

It would be great if you could install the rebuilt one yourself like the first one. BTW the rebuilt has a lifetime guarantee so it should be the last one you'll need to purchase for your 4th gen Max.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Update: Got everything fixed. The white smoke was most likely the fuel injector.

Got the starter replaced, computer analysis, the fuel pump replaced, spark plugs replaced and the #2 Fuel injector replaced as well.

The cost came to a total of $870 with everything. I think I paid a fair price for all of these services. If I had done all those things myself I probably would have paid about $300-400. Unfortunately I did not have the space to do so..

The car is driving great now and the smoke is no longer an issue.

Thank you for the feedback guys

And a special Thank you to asand1

You were correct in both of your assessments. The POS new starter did malfunction. (I bought a rebuilt one from Advance and the shop installed it for me)

Thankfully I never went through with the Blue Devil crap, I could have messed everything up.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:23 PM

Thank you for listening to the guys on this site. They know their stuff. They have helped me greatly. Come back as often as you need too. I have not had any of these issues yet, but now I am prepared for them.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Good fourm to keep for future people who potentially will have this problem

also by the way, I am curious how many miles does ur maxima have? always a good side note
Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoshG
Good fourm to keep for future people who potentially will have this problem

also by the way, I am curious how many miles does ur maxima have? always a good side note
1998 White SE 133K Miles
Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 PM

dam close to my miles.. i have 131k at the moment.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:22 AM

SPER - Thanks for getting back to us with the outcome. It helps build a good knowledge base for everyone with a 4th gen to enjoy.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 PM

Good to hear. Did you install a hose connecting the valve covers, just behind the timing cover?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 AM

Good to hear. Did you install a hose connecting the valve covers, just behind the timing cover?
I have done that. Not sure where any of those things are (valve cover, timing cover).

Is this needed?

My engine is idling rough again and accelerating rough too.. Gonna have to take it back to the shop tomorrow, always something with this car...
Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by SPER

I have done that. Not sure where any of those things are (valve cover, timing cover).

Is this needed?

My engine is idling rough again and accelerating rough too.. Gonna have to take it back to the shop tomorrow, always something with this car...
Name:  axNaMSF_zpsc07aeb33.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  69.8 KB
Originally Posted by CS_AR
In the picture, I don't see the big u-shaped vacuum hose (engine front behind the timing cover) that connects the valve covers. Did someone remove that hose?
Yes, you need a breather hose between the two valve covers, or you will have a big vacuum leak and dirty air entering the engine, as well as carbon build up in the rear valve cover. I can see the nipple on the back of your front VC, with no hose on it.

Name:  100_4196.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  58.9 KB
Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 PM

I'm going to pop the hood and check it out tomorrow