4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Saw my rear headset cracked...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Saw my rear headset cracked...

So plain and simple, As I went to go wash the car today and cleaning the rear seats, I look up and on the rear passenger side the headrest black leather has been cracked, I was like "oh ****...." I couldn't even see it on my driver seat looking back until I realize I went to the rear seats looking up.

Now my interior black leather is officially not called "no rips or cracks on black seats" damn it, Its the only crack in the car, U can see the Foam, and the leather cracking up. It was something that I did not want to see but u cannot see it from the outside since my tint is quite dark.

My car has been sitting in the shade when I park at home and I put sunshade on my windshield where ever else I park, With the darkest legal tint 5% 3 rears, 25% front with car sunshade..

but got the tint last year in april, so before the last 10 months owning it I guess it has been exposed to the sun so much in this hot texas weather, then with me putting darkest legal tint did not protect the headrest, but hey! the rest of the seats are almost new.

----------------

Question is how much would u possibly think it would cost to restore the headset? my driver side rear headset is starting to crack at the top as well, or is their a rear headset cover that I can just cover up only on the headrest? but I would like to also know if they could rip the leather off, put new leather over it with something to stick onto so it doesn't fall off. I have heard stuff like this as well, for leather restoration.

also how can I prevent them from cracking even more and how much worse can it get? The headrest has contact from the sun on the rear window but not the actual seat. I have heard that rear headsets crack are quite common for old leather, so its not that big of an issue but it was ugly to see.

Last edited by JoshG; 07-11-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Call an upholstery shop. When you talk to someone the password is "quote".
Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 PM

Take a look at the classified section. I've noticed some members selling interiors from wrecked cars. About 3 years ago I happened upon a wrecked dark blue GLE with a like new black leather interior at my local Pick-n-Pull. It was Labor Day weekend and they also had a special for any Tool Kit Rewards Members for 40% or 50% off any part in the yard. I left that day with a complete black leather interior (door panels, seats, center arm rest, and all) in mint condition for just under $180. I couldn't have purchased a full set of imitation leather covers for that price.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM

OP, is your car black leather? I MAY have two minty, black, leather headrests ... I just need to find them
Old 07-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Yes it is black leather, but its the rear headrests, where they cannot come off. its attached to the whole thing. My leather seats r pretty much brand new and I dont see the need to buy the whole thing. Wish the 4th gen had detachable rear headrests..

I found out that the rear headrests were hard as a rock, which is probably why they cracked(sad 5% tint didnt even protect it).. but I may just buy a black cover for just the headrest for now and tuck em behind the headrest underneath em. then have a professional repair it by cutting it out and putting new leather on it later on.
its not a big issue and cannot be seen unless u look up.

Last edited by JoshG; 07-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.