4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some advice about my maxima's start up/cranking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some advice about my maxima's start up/cranking

My 4th Gen Maxima has been experiencing some rough cranking/start up lately. Fortunately, it still starts up and runs fine. It has been like this for a while as well. The motor is getting spark and fuel, as I changed the fuel filter in the engine bay and all 6 spark plugs within the last year. The fuel pump was also replaced within the last couple of years as well. I had also changed the starter a few months ago as well. This issue has been going on for quite some time now, even before I changed all the parts listed above. It went away after I changed the fuel filter and starter, but then eventually began to come back. With the advice from some people I know and who have plenty of experience with working on cars, We all suspect that the flywheel may be worn and may possibly need to be replaced. I know the labor will be costly, but I want to look further into it before I do anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by CNunes_95; 07-17-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Searching no start should have gave you lots of other things to try.

First, any codes/ check engine light?
If so, what are they?

What brand of spark plugs did you use with the recent tune up?

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator?

Have you checked the ECU's coolant temp sensor?

Take a look at the FSM in my sig as well.
Very useful for trouble shooting.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 AM

I had similar problems. When I cleaned off both of my crank position sensors, the problem went away. They were filthy dirty with engine gunk. Also, check/clean the wiring connections.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No lights are on. I actually realized today that the car turns over if I give it a little gas. Im guessing maybe my fuel injectors may need replacing??? I've never changed them myself. My 99 Maxima was a hand me down from my dad and he doesn't even remember changing them at all.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 AM

What fuel pump brand is it. Some or most aftermarket fuel pump won't work we'll with our cars and will not hold fuel pressure like there supposed to. I reccommend putting in a oem nissan fuel pump. My fuel pump is still running like new even though it has 308,xxx miles. Oem fuel pumps rarely go bad. Also last thing most importantly replace your fpr with an oem one. I have a oem fuel pressure regulator sitting around as i pulled it off from a 97 maxima and it's in good condition and it holds fuel pressure like it's supposed to. Your fuel injectors are most likely good and it could be the fuel pump or the fpr. If it's a bad fpr it will cause extended cranks after the car has sat for 1-2 hours after driving. If your original fuel pump was fine I would put it back in and see if it's better.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fuel Pressure Regulator. Change it.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 AM

There are lots of good items to check or replace from the members who posted above. One item to check that that won't cost you anything to do it yourself is the Crankshaft Position Sensors (CKPS) as posted above.

If you have recently replaced your starter and the starter splines are different in count from the original, there might be some small metal fragments from the starter mating up against the flywheel gear teeth. When I cleaned my transmission side CKPS, I noticed some small metal fragments that accumulated on the CKPS magnet. Later I traced the fragments to the starter gear splines that mate up against the flywheel gears.

After finding the metal fragments on the CKPS magnet, I make it a maintenance item to inspect and clean the magnets and electrical plug connections.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Afpr

whats up guys im having the same issues with taking a while to start. i have a 95 maxima with a 99 engine swap not nuch different mine is california emissions. i see alot of you guys saying FPR. I just so happen to purchace a performance fpr from ebay. only thing im not sure how to install it. im a mechanic but its always nbetter to get ideas from other sources perhaps you guys done one already. i can ue some help