4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 AM

oil leak

96 maxima. It seems to be leaking oil from the head gasket, im going to do an engine wash to be certain thats the only place its leaking from. Would i still be able to use my car atleast for today as far as errands go?should i just make sure the oil is topped off at every stop?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 AM

Are you certain it's the head gasket? These cars leak at the back of the valve cover, the oil pan & camshaft and crankshaft position sensors if the seals/gaskets are bad. If your car is running okay and there is no oil in the coolant(your oil isn't a milky white cream color), it might be leaking from somewhere else. You need to test the compression in each cylinder. Also, see if someone else can try to see where the oil leak is coming from. Are you losing any coolant or does the coolant level go down? Usually a leaking head gasket will evaporate your coolant at a faster rate than normal..... but not always.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by PH98I30
Are you certain it's the head gasket? These cars leak at the back of the valve cover, the oil pan & camshaft and crankshaft position sensors if the seals/gaskets are bad. If your car is running okay and there is no oil in the coolant(your oil isn't a milky white cream color), it might be leaking from somewhere else. You need to test the compression in each cylinder. Also, see if someone else can try to see where the oil leak is coming from. Are you losing any coolant or does the coolant level go down? Usually a leaking head gasket will evaporate your coolant at a faster rate than normal..... but not always.

No the coolent levek is fine. The oil is clear and clean its a slow drip. Would i be able to do my normal errands today. The last things that were changed were tire rods control arms. There were a few others my friend gave me a hand replacing i dont remeber. Ill check on the camsafts etc. All cylinders are running good but one is low which is causing a little lag but nothing crazy. Ill do afull tune up at the end of the month
Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by PH98I30
Where my finger is. Thats where the leak is coming from. Im next up for an engine wash
Attached Thumbnails oil leak-1405779345030.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 AM

If you keep oil in the engine it should be fine. You might have an oily mess under the car but that can be cleaned. The back of the valve cover is where oil usually leaks. If you search the threads for oil leaks, that usually comes up. These cars are very durable. If the car starts smoking badly or overheating then stop the engine and quit driving it. Keep your eye on the coolant level. How many miles is on the engine? If you have never overheated the motor, I would not think it's the head gasket... unless maybe you have a lot of miles on the engine.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 AM

Wow, I see no oil lines in that area. It could still be a gasket leak. It might be the head gasket. You would have to drive it at your own risk. At this point it's up to you. I wouldn't want to ruin the engine.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:36 AM

If you decide to replace the gasket, make sure the head mating surface is squeaky clean before installing a new gasket. Follow the Field Service Manual (FSM) for proper silicone VC gasket sealer placement in the corners.

Name:  Heater_Supply_01_zpsd4e63d46.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  526.8 KB

I've had good luck with the Felpro (blue) gaskets in the picture.

Name:  Engine_Details_02_zpseeffde86.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  510.5 KB
Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 AM

Is that your motor? How come it's that clean??!!

Interesting 5 days later that blue rtv that the shop used is still soft, it comes off on my fingers.

I know from my experience that bad valve cover gaskets do make a mess, the grime/oil gets everywhere, even on the alternator and the grounding cable.

Also, the o-ring from the cam POS sensor makes more of a mess than one would think, all over the timing cover.

I toppped off for 4 yrs. It really didn't take that much, 1/2 qt. top-off lasted a month?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
If you decide to replace the gasket, make sure the head mating surface is squeaky clean before installing a new gasket. Follow the Field Service Manual (FSM) for proper silicone VC gasket sealer placement in the corners.

I've had good luck with the Felpro (blue) gaskets in the picture.

Thanks man i just got the gasket and seal you mentioned. Plus i made it back home only to a shakey front left axle ughhh. I definitely have my hands full this week.