4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission filter and fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Transmission filter and fluid change?

What is current opinion about transmission fluid and filter change for G4. I tried to use search engine of forum. As I understand fluid should be drained, not flushed, every 60 000 miles (and new added) and filter, that is actually just some screen, need not be replaced, eventually just cleaned. What is quality transmission fluid? And what is quality filter, if need (I hope not)?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 PM

How long has it been since the fluid was changed last? How many miles on your 4th gen transmission?

If the fluid appears to be heavily contaminated (e.g. darker than new fluid), I see where members will drain the transmission fluid using the drain plug, then replace the lost fluid with new and drive for a few hundred miles and drain it again, then repeat for 4 or 5 times until all of the old fluid has been replaced with new fluid.

Then on the last change cycle, I will replace the screen so the screen will start off in new fluid.

I found the following information in the 4th Gen manual for automatic transmission fluid care.

Use only Nissan Matic D (Continental U.S and Alaska) or genuine automatic transmission fluid (Canada) DexronIII/Mercon or equivalent may also be used. Outside of the Continental US contact a dealer for information regarding suitable fluids including recommended brands of Dexron III/Mercon Automatic Transmission fluid.

Some guys use Castrol Dex/Merc Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF.

When I got my 99 I30 it had roughly 205,000 miles on it. I found where the dealer changed the ATF before seiling to the car the the 2nd owner at 105,000 miles. The 2nd owner had not changed the transmission fluid because she understood it only needed to be changed every around 100,000 miles like the dealer changed. However, she did add some in along the way. The transmission fluid looked liked burnt motor oil. I figured the transmission would go into shock and start spitting clutch material through the planetary gears in protest of the the new fluid.

The new fluid definitely helped the transmission begin shifting smoother and with less chatter between gears. After I drained and replaced an amount like 4.5 quarts, the fluid on the stick looked good for a few days then contamination returned but it was a milder variation than before. The next weekend I replaced another 4.5 quarts. With each change I could feel the transmission behaving healthier and eventually crisper. I read where the 4th Gen Maxima transmission was overbuilt and that it will hold up under extreme abuse for a long time before it finally begins to experience neglect issues.

After the 99 I30 transmission fluid was all cleaned up it shifts better at 260,000 miles than the 2004 Honda with only 26,000 miles. It is an amazingly strong transmission.

One of my Nissan cars has an automatic transmission that was originally designed for a truck. The transmission is RE4RO3A. It was to have been cross licensed with GM by Japan Automatic Transmission Company (JATCO) for use in some light Chevy and GMC
pickup trucks.

That RE4RO3A transmission is a custom built version of the RE4ROA by Pat Barrett at Level 10 Performance Transmission in Sussex CO New Jersey.

Level 10 increased transmission-engine stall speed by using a different billet torgue converter and a special made valve body that is setup for drag racing.

Level 10 recommended only using Nissan Matic-S in that transmission. I keep that that transmission fluid looking like new by draining and replacing 5 quarts every 5 thousand mine as the same time I change synthetic engine oil. While it is an additional expense at maintenance time, the VH45DE that is connected to the transmission uses 7 quarts of Mobile 1 Extended Performance Oil with a Wix filter when the oil and filter are changed.

That engine oil and transmission fluid change takes most of a Saturday afternoon -- but it always runs a little quieter and shifts like new afterward.

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-16-2014 at 11:43 PM.