4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

D2 Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:24 AM

D2 Coilover Review

I got my coilovers via EBay from a seller whose name I cannot remember, LOL! But I do remember the company behind the Ebay account. Their name was Kuruma Motoring. Previous customers had a few horror stories about them which I had found after recieving the coilovers; so I was in slightly worried. Lucky for me, so far so good. So I made this thread to keep you guys posted on problems and any good or bad experiences with my coilovers.

Price was a big factor for me. Since I don't plan on doing anything too crazy like autocross or whatever; plus living in Everett, WA where the roads are relatively well maintained, I felt like I did not need to pay extra for capabilities I will not need. I narrowed my search down to just two brands D2 and BC and ended up buying the D2 for $800 which was about $200 cheaper than the BC.

1ST DAY:
Installation was a breeze, the brake line brackets and ect. included with the coils worked great! Quality is superb, everything fit and lined up perfectly. The rears were super easy to install while the front took a bit more work. I also found out that my FSTB bolts got in the way of the coilover studs. So I had to get creative in order to install the coils and still have use of my FSTB. Basically if I ever wanted to remove the bar or the coils I need to first loosen the bolts on the coils and get them as far up as I can as they get stuck about halfway because of the FSTB, I then jack up the car to make the coils drop a bit, then remove the bar, and finally remove everything else. So bascally, it is a pain.

After installing everything and getting the car back on the road, the first drive truly was an amazing experience! The coils were set to the stiffest setting when i got them so I was a little shocked by how the car rode. it was like driving a go-kart with no suspension. My car jolted if I drove over a piece of lint. So I circled back and set everything to the softest setting, which was really mushy. After some time, I started feeling sea-sick, it was strange, the car's body movement while driving made dizzy. So I set the dampeners forward a bit towards the middle on all 4 wheels. The ride was still really rough and I was starting to have second thoughts on coilovers, I hated the ride.

1ST MONTH
I kept everything set somewhere between super soft and super harsh, at first the ride was really rough no matter what it was set to. But as time when on things smoothed out, or I got used to it. I assumed it was the springs settling or everything starting to break in.

The ride now is very close to stock, my car handles big bumps better than stock. But I feel more of the small stuff and there is no noise, while driving. But, when I am stopped, if I try and bounce the rear end up and down there is a squeaky rubber noise. The only things rubber in the rears; though, are the spring isolators. So I tried spraying them down with silicone and things seem to have died down. So problem solved for now.

For me personally, I like the way the car handles more, when it was stock. Although on coils, my car can make much tighter turns going much much faster but I feel like it is a little unpredictable.

Scraping is now a part of life, I had a few nasty ones going down slopes that I used to easily clear. But I learned to screw those behind me and take my time. My front lip is more important than their 10 seconds waiting for me to clear a obstacle.

Another thing I forgot to mention, was that the car accelerates a little bit faster. I don't know if it was the D2 stickers or what but I feel like I gained at least 50 HP... AT LEAST!!!

I am just kidding, there no HP gain. But the way the car gets up to speed is something that changed a lot! At first, when I stomped on the gas, the car kind of leans back and then starts going. Now there is no more lean, it just gets up and goes. I was so used to that lean, that for a while I could not tell how fast I was going. My speedometer showed I was getting up to speed very quickly, but my butt sensor did not register.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 10-11-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 AM

no coilovers for me, i see these threads all the time and with the roads i drive on i def don't want to scrape. hell, i'm only lowered a tad and i still scrape all the time.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Yeah it is definitely a whole different driving experience. For me though, I did it 95% just for looks. So beauty definitely hurts and is a lot of work hahah

I was surprised how well I wrote my review, especially when I drunk while writing it hahahaha
Old 10-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Yeah it is definitely a whole different driving experience. For me though, I did it 95% just for looks. So beauty definitely hurts and is a lot of work hahah

I was surprised how well I wrote my review, especially when I drunk while writing it hahahaha
ya , if i had money to spend i would put all i had into hp mods(and tires).....lowering does nothing for me....nothing more satisfying than sum1 with a lowered sweet looking ride getting blown away by a stock looking max!........and of course it pisses them off
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Black Lion

Great price you got on the coils.. hopefully they will last you a while.. we all know about the stories from ebay products for a cheaper price than anywhere else.

How low did you bring the car down?

yea man, definitely drive it like a baby to avoid scraping.. but you will scrape not matter what. I scrape even with a 2" drop all the time..
Old 10-11-2014, 01:57 AM

I lowered it 3 inches lol!

At first I was always scraping the front lip, now I am scraping the exhaust and the lip, pretty soon I feel like I might start scraping my booty over those speed bumps!

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 10-11-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxprivate
...definitely drive it like a baby to avoid scraping.. but you will scrape not matter what. I scrape even with a 2" drop all the time..
You drop the car on a high performance lowered suspension to drive it like a baby? Oh the irony
Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
I lowered it 3 inches lol!

At first I was always scraping the front lip, now I am scraping the exhaust and the lip, pretty soon I feel like I might start scraping my booty over those speed bumps!
hahahaha!! I feel ya. its a sacrifice worth the booty scraping.

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
You drop the car on a high performance lowered suspension to drive it like a baby? Oh the irony
weelllllll… drive reckless on $hitty unknown paved roads and your suspension and wheels will hate you..
Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM

im thinking between tein vs bc vs d2 coils after winter... all 3 have pro's and con's ...