4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Magnetic ATF Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 06:54 PM

Magnetic ATF Drain Plug

I got the info below from the sticky above. The drain plug (32103-01A01) will not fit my ATF drain plug? It is way too big.

An additional warning about the A/T drain plug:
89 to 94 (3rd Generation) Maximas with A/T have drain plugs with magnets on the back for keeping metal shavings from flowing through the tranny. However, my 99 (4th Generation) Maxima's drain plug did not have a magnet on it (most likely due to cost cutting). Even more amazing, Nissan dealers only carry the A/T drain plug with the magnet on it. If you have a 4th or even 5th gen Maxima, it would be wise to take out your drain plug and make sure a magnet is on the back of it. If not, then go to your friendly Nissan dealer and pick one up for $4 or $5.

Part Number for ATF Drain Plug:
A/T Drain Plug w/Magnet: 32103-01A01
Old 01-23-2002, 07:16 PM

Re: Magnetic ATF Drain Plug

Originally posted by max808
I got the info below from the sticky above. The drain plug (32103-01A01) will not fit my ATF drain plug? It is way too big.

89 to 94 (3rd Generation) Maximas with A/T have drain plugs with magnets on the back for keeping metal shavings from flowing through the tranny. However, my 99 (4th Generation) Maxima's drain plug did not have a magnet on it (most likely due to cost cutting). Even more amazing, Nissan dealers only carry the A/T drain plug with the magnet on it. If you have a 4th or even 5th gen Maxima, it would be wise to take out your drain plug and make sure a magnet is on the back of it. If not, then go to your friendly Nissan dealer and pick one up for $4 or $5.

I'm a little confused so is that part # correct? You mentioned it didn't fit.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:26 PM

My Haynes manual shows two magnets on the pan instead of the drain plug. A dealership guy mentioned the same thing, and I think I saw the same on the site for (Don's?) valvebody. Maybe this wasn't a cost cutting measure, but a redesign to use two magnets on the pan instead of on the plug.

Or maybe the pan magnets were there all along. Anyone know for sure? I was thinking about ordering one myself, figuring it couldn't hurt. Glad I saw this...
Old 01-23-2002, 11:47 PM

Do not use that part number

I ordered the drain plug w/ magnet and it doesn't fit. I have a 99' GXE automatic. If anyone knows where that part number goes, please let me know.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:00 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Do not use that part number

I ordered the drain plug w/ magnet and it doesn't fit. I have a 99' GXE automatic. If anyone knows where that part number goes, please let me know.
That part number for that part fits my 99 GXE automatic just fine. Perhaps the brain surgeons at the Nissan Dealer you ordered it from put the wrong bolt in the wrong box?

And just to make sure, I went down to my garage and took a gander at the box and both the new magnetic ATF drain plug (32103-01A01) and the non-magnetic stock ATF drain plug I pulled out of my 99 Automatic; they are the exact same size.

In addition, I am currently using the old magnetic drain plug from my 94 Maxima in my 99 Maxima, while I'm doing a drain 'n fill with Amsoil ATF for several weekends.

Quite simply, it is impossible that you got the right part. Go to a local dealer and ask if they have that part number in stock. Do a comparison to the plug you currently have. I doubt it will be the same part.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:43 AM
MDr

The drain plug Bill refers to is ON THE DRIVER SIDE of tranny housing. Don't get confused with the drain plug on the pan like I did.

Hope this helps.

I got the info below from the sticky above. The drain plug (32103-01A01) will not fit my ATF

Old 01-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Magnetic ATF Drain Plug

Originally posted by donut

My Haynes manual shows two magnets on the pan instead of the drain plug. A dealership guy mentioned the same thing, and I think I saw the same on the site for (Don's?) valvebody. Maybe this wasn't a cost cutting measure, but a redesign to use two magnets on the pan instead of on the plug.
Exactly! The magnets in the pan are much larger then the drain plug concept. So cost cutting wasn't in mind here. They actually improved it by adding more magnetic area to pick up any harmfull deposits. Only draw back is you have to drop the pan to clean them. But think about that for a second.... If you have that much metal on the magnets, your tranny is in serious need of help!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Magnetic ATF Drain Plug

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Exactly! The magnets in the pan are much larger then the drain plug concept. So cost cutting wasn't in mind here. They actually improved it by adding more magnetic area to pick up any harmfull deposits. Only draw back is you have to drop the pan to clean them. But think about that for a second.... If you have that much metal on the magnets, your tranny is in serious need of help!

Honestly, it was cost-cutting, as when I replaced that plug (the ACTUAL drain plug)), with an old one of the 94, it took 2 to 3 weeks of drain n' fills on the 99 auto before seeing a decrease in the amount of metal shavings on the back of the plug. For $2, it's cheap insurance to get one that you can easily access and remove the metal shavings periodically........
Old 01-24-2002, 02:01 PM

Re: Re: Do not use that part number

I'll need to double check that part with one at the local dealer. The only problem is I got the first one from a dealer through an internet Nissan dealer parts order. For the price it's not worth sending back. I may resort to just getting another from a local dealer. Let this be a lesson about internet ordering parts. Even if you have the right part number, you may still get the wrong item. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a few more dollars and get the part from a local dealer. Go figure??? Thanks bill99gxe.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

That part number for that part fits my 99 GXE automatic just fine. Perhaps the brain surgeons at the Nissan Dealer you ordered it from put the wrong bolt in the wrong box?

And just to make sure, I went down to my garage and took a gander at the box and both the new magnetic ATF drain plug (32103-01A01) and the non-magnetic stock ATF drain plug I pulled out of my 99 Automatic; they are the exact same size.

In addition, I am currently using the old magnetic drain plug from my 94 Maxima in my 99 Maxima, while I'm doing a drain 'n fill with Amsoil ATF for several weekends.

Quite simply, it is impossible that you got the right part. Go to a local dealer and ask if they have that part number in stock. Do a comparison to the plug you currently have. I doubt it will be the same part.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:55 PM

yup, the 2 magnets are in the pan, you can see them when you remove it to do the VB swap

btw, i bought the magnetic plug anyways. its sittin at the dealership waitin for me, but ive slacked a few days.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Do not use that part number

I'll need to double check that part with one at the local dealer. The only problem is I got the first one from a dealer through an internet Nissan dealer parts order. For the price it's not worth sending back. I may resort to just getting another from a local dealer. Let this be a lesson about internet ordering parts. Even if you have the right part number, you may still get the wrong item. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a few more dollars and get the part from a local dealer. Go figure??? Thanks bill99gxe.

Yeah, for the big cost items, the internet is the way to go.....For Oil pan plugs and ATF drain plugs that only cost a few bucks anyway, it's hard to beat a local dealer......
Old 01-25-2002, 01:42 PM

I strongly suggest you clean those 2 magnets inside the pan, they hold up too much metal, and you get a chance to clean your pan.
Its very easy once the fluid is drained, you need a new gasket and some glue to hold it in place, 20-bolts holding the pan.