4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my 97 nissan maxima wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my 97 nissan maxima wont start

The night before I noticed my car having rough starts as if the starter was grinding on something wrong but then the car would start n sound would be gone of course due to the car starting didn't think it was a issue not sure if it still was but now when I try n start my car I hear a whirring sound n then it fades but if I have someone jumping me the whirring sounds stronger but won't crank oh n after I tried several times I popped the hood check the terminals my red side was loose but not completely off I had no idea how that happen I tightened it back still no answer could the battery have went bad since it was lose n I was driving like that for who knows
Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 AM

Your battery terminal was loose do to vibrations or suspect installation. Check your battery's state of charge (SOC) or have a parts house do it for you. Its usually free. If the battery proves good, start checking your voltage drops at your pos. and neg. wires. They should be small if anything. If it's high, solve this issue first. If your cables prove good the next likely source is your starter or your ignition switch. So you will need to rule one or the other out and then move to the next. There are good how-to's on this site. My next comment is not suggesting you throw parts at a problem with the "hopes" of solving it but by your description I'm going to guess your starter is approaching the end of its service life and will need to be replaced. But you have to trouble shoot all the ignition/starting system components to confirm this.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 AM

^+1 on starter, I just went through this last month, similar issue, starter cranked but became weaker and weaker cranking and finally stopped crank, replaced with new battery still won't crank, tested the starter at autozon, was good, then tested in advance auto, no good, replaced with a new starter solve the issue.

But there few things you can do before to take your starter out, first, as above mentioned, measure the voltage at battery to see if you get some where around 12.3v, then measure at starter terminal to see there is any voltage drop, if all good, then try to jump the starter directly from the battery positive terminal with a long screw driver or a jump cable to see if it cranks, last, whack the starter with a hammer, if it cranks, then your starter is on the way going out.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM

+1 to above info. Also note we are seeing new and rebuilt alternators and starters from China fail at a significant rate. I've been burned as well as others on the ORG. Buyer beware.

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Seat and tighten battery terminals.

Sound like your starter is on its way out. I think NAPA has the best starters IIRC.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok my starter is strong I guess from sitting without. being started in the cold battery lost juice took it to get charged everything sounds good I'm hearing a strong whirring sound but doesn't wanna start for some reason the spark plugs are only a year old I try almost everyday nothing new I know fuel pumps working I'm thinkin I lost compression in the engine somewhere
Old 02-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine is doing the same thing

Yesterday it too three tries to start it after sitting outside. Got home. Turned it off and it started right up. But I still heard the whirring sound after the car started like the starter is still turning before turning itself off.

I switched the wiper and security relay under the hood but that didn't seem to work.

I'm thinking it could be my starter but I'll check he other areas that was posted above.

Is there a way I can post a video of what it sounds like?
Old 02-12-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by poplifedc
Yesterday it too three tries to start it after sitting outside. Got home. Turned it off and it started right up. But I still heard the whirring sound after the car started like the starter is still turning before turning itself off.

I switched the wiper and security relay under the hood but that didn't seem to work.

I'm thinking it could be my starter but I'll check he other areas that was posted above.

Is there a way I can post a video of what it sounds like?
A video is a good way to help us identify the issue. Many of us post videos to youtube then include a link in the message post.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

crankshaft sensor

I checked one my sensors on the far left side of my engine which I believe is the crankshaft sensor I disconnected to check the inside for any damamge I see fresh wet oil in between the connection on both sides could that b the prevention of my car starting n cranking over