4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

General Electrical Diagram Question

Old 02-08-2015, 01:36 PM

General Electrical Diagram Question

When troubleshooting electrical issues, the various harness diagrams give pin numbers and locations on the harness. What is the perspective of these views? Are they from the side where the wires enter the harness or are they from the side where the harness plugs into whatever it plugs into. Thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 02:13 PM

Nevermind, I just saw that they give the wire color as well.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Assuming you're looking at the FSM, often there's a box with symbols off to the left that shows which side of the harness to look at.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Now How Do I Get My ECU Out?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using the FSM so I'll take a look at the diagrams again.

I'm trying to fix my heater/ac always blowing hot air and I was going to go thru the troubleshoot in the FSM.

Right now I'm stuck at pulling the ECU so I can check the air mix door motor. I have all four ECU bolts out and it seems like the ECU should slide out into the passenger compartment but no luck. All the wires to the ECU are on the passenger and there's a 10mm bolt that looks like it's used to bolt a wire harness to the ECU? Do I have to remove that 10mm bolt as well? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM

Here's a thread on ECU removal. The ECU slides down and out on the passenger side. The 10mm bolt will stay in the harness "plastic body" but needs to be loosened so the harness can be separated from the ECU.

Maybe there are a couple of pictures in this thread that will help.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...lide-show.html
Old 02-08-2015, 06:51 PM

I would go by color codes. I though it was from looking at the back where the wires come out, not the plug end that plugs into something. Not positive, but thats what I remember it being. Best to check with colors just in case. I don't want to lead you astray.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. The FSM pdf I have is a bit fuzzy but when I looked at the figures closer, I saw what Wizard was talking about. It does look the view is from where the wires come out as you said.

As far getting the ECU out, thanks for the info CS_AR. This is the first time mine has been pulled and there was tape from the factory between the ECU body and bracket which was making it difficult to pull.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the air mix motor out, those little screws are more of a challenge than the ECU fasteners were. I ordered one of those Neiko mini screwdrivers and a flexible shaft screwdriver from Amazon, hopefully that'll help.

If anyone has another tips on pulling that motor, please pass them on.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 PM

If the connector outer edge is drawn with 2 lines, that means that you are looking at it from the wire side as if it were plugged in. This would also be the connector in the unit that the harness was pulled out of, such as if you unplugged the ECU and are looking at the ECU.

If the connector outer edge is drawn with a single line, that means you are looking at the connector on the wire harness after it has been unplugged (the connector pin side).

This is in the FSM, section GI. Depending on what year FSM you have, it's on page 12 or 13 or 14. I would advise that you read the first 20 or so pages as it describes how they draw and label things in the manual. I also advise reading the first 15 or so pages of the EL section, too.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info Dennis, I was looking for this general info but couldn't find it. Kinda stupid of me because this general info is in the GI section of the FSM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Every once in a while Nissan throws us a curve and does something logically.