4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0500 Speed Sensor code with very little symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0500 Speed Sensor code with very little symptoms

I tried searching past posts so I wouldn't repeat anything and I found nobody with this exact problem.

Today I got the dreaded SES light on my 1997 Maxima. This has something to do with a Speed Sensor. After reading and reading and reading on this forum, I will share this information to see if one of you brilliant people can help me.

The good:
Speedometer works perfectly
Tachometer works perfectly
Odometer works perfectly
Car, in general, runs fine, no hesitations, no bumps in the night.

The bad:
Occasionally, the cruise controls stops working. On some rare occasions, it blinks while in use and then stops working. Most of the times it works fine.

Most people seemed to suggest that changing the speed sensor does nothing and this is likely a wiring issue. What say you?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
JvG

Our speedometers are attached to the printed circuit with screws. They can loosen and cause this problem. Or solder can crack on the speedo and cause this. There is a way to re-solder. There are instructions somewhere on this forum. I had this same issue. I followed the instructions. My problem was solved.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the advice.

I took out the cluster and retightened all the screws. We will see how that does.

Of course, in doing so, I broke the cruise control switch somehow because the green light no longer works on the ON switch button. Totally lame. Now i have to order a switch to fix that.

Regardless, I cleared the codes, we'll see if it comes back.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had this problem as well. Tightening the screws didn't work but re-soldering did. It's super easy because you're just heating up the existing solder so that it melts and reforms. I'd try that before you order a new cruise control switch. If I recall correctly, the CC switch wouldn't illuminate when I was having speedo probs. Does your CC work at all now?