4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone wanna try custom hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 08:11 PM

anyone wanna try custom hoods?

Don't you guys think our hood look kinda .... weird?
I saw the fender pictures and noticed the hoods should be customized...
anyone eles think so?
how did that fast and the furious guy do it?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:00 PM

funny u mentioned it, i watched F&F tonight and the hood on that s2000 is just insane, i wish would could do a little more with our hood. I would be interested to see what our options are.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Jeff (aka Shadow) who is making the body kit for us right now and Z3 fenders has in plan a carbon fiber hood and other ideas for a hood.. e-mail him or PM him and ask him what he is coming up with or maybe offer some suggestions.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:29 PM

maybe throw some of the z3 vents on the hood?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:56 PM

A ram air hood of some sort would be pretty sweet. But please, no more RICE!
Old 01-25-2002, 11:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JdawgX
lol...and a ram air hood isn't rice? unless it's functional, i doubt it though.

i would just get a carbon fiber hood.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by JdawgX
if ram air llok alike hood wouldnt be rice , what would be?
Old 01-26-2002, 08:52 AM

Top-quality carbon fiber would be good. I want to be able to stand on it without cracking it. Perfect fit/finish would be good. I do not want to have to grind/file anything to get it to fit. Ability to use stock latch *and* hydraulic lifts would be good. I don't want to have to use latch pins to hold it shut, nor a golf club to hold it up. Pre-drilled for windshield washer nozzles would be good. I don't trust myself to drill perfectly good holes in a carbon fiber hood! Scoops and vents? Forget it. I'd be glad just to have a carbon fiber hood that replaces the stock unit one-for-one! Have a happy day.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:06 AM

what kind of material are the sarona fenders made of?
Old 01-26-2002, 09:41 AM

im pretty sure they are fiber glass, not the strongest stuff on earth when it is thin.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
what kind of material are the sarona fenders made of?
fiber glass
Old 01-26-2002, 09:57 AM

carbon fiber wave of the future, no fiber glass
Old 01-26-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by MAXEJA
carbon fiber wave of the future, no fiber glass
Sarona makes their kits and fenders out of PAPER MACHE!! No, they use fiberglass, just not fiberglass with urethane.

The hoods that Shadow will be producing will not be riced out, but they will be of superior quality and i am almost 100% sure they will utilize the nice stock hydrolic lift posts we have now.

I can't disclose any specifics on what they hoods will looks like but the carbon fiber hood will blow "fiber-images" hood out of the water. I'll see if i can get jeff to add some input on this..

jason sadler
Old 01-26-2002, 11:28 AM

well it is good to know someone is working on the hoods
Old 01-26-2002, 02:32 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

functional fenders would be nice.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by bullseye
Top-quality carbon fiber would be good. I want to be able to stand on it without cracking it. Perfect fit/finish would be good. I do not want to have to grind/file anything to get it to fit. Ability to use stock latch *and* hydraulic lifts would be good. I don't want to have to use latch pins to hold it shut, nor a golf club to hold it up. Pre-drilled for windshield washer nozzles would be good. I don't trust myself to drill perfectly good holes in a carbon fiber hood! Scoops and vents? Forget it. I'd be glad just to have a carbon fiber hood that replaces the stock unit one-for-one! Have a happy day.
That was DAMN well said!!!
Old 01-26-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

That was DAMN well said!!!
Yeah, especially the part about "standing on the hood." Because I know if there's one thing I'm always thinking when I walk away from my car in a parking lot, it's: "man, I'd get a carbon fiber hood in a heartbeat, if I could only find one I could dance on w/ my g/f without causing damage. . ." Puhleeeze. lol.

I got the point - he want's it to be of "high quality." I'm just amused by the suggested "measure" of quality.

There is such a thing as over-building something for it's intended purpose. Your OEM hood wouldn't stand up to that kind of abuse - why is it reasonable to think an aftermarket piece should?

Having said that - all the other suggestions made good sense: bolt in direct replacement accounting for all the hood latch, hydraulics, etc. (except for the washer holes - some people have show-cars or other reasons for not wanting the washer holes pre-drilled). That should be left alone, or offered as an option from the manufacturer.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Yeah, especially the part about "standing on the hood." Because I know if there's one thing I'm always thinking when I walk away from my car in a parking lot, it's: "man, I'd get a carbon fiber hood in a heartbeat, if I could only find one I could dance on w/ my g/f without causing damage. . ." Puhleeeze. lol.

**** NO need for sarcasm KW. It's just a metaphor man, a metaphor. Do you honestly think he meant he will be standing on his hood? He was stating he'd like the hood to be strong, not weak. Period. Is that too much to ask?

I got the point - he want's it to be of "high quality." I'm just amused by the suggested "measure" of quality.

**** M-E-T-A-P-H-O-R

There is such a thing as over-building something for it's intended purpose. Your OEM hood wouldn't stand up to that kind of abuse - why is it reasonable to think an aftermarket piece should?

**** The stock Y-pipe doesn't give 15-20 HP, why should an aftermarket? What kind of logic is that?
Why is it not resonable?! That is the bragging/selling point of carbon fiber man!!!!!! When Fiber Images's web site shows them dropping a full rim and tire off a ladder on to their CF hood, why is it "unreasonable" for bullseye to expect that kind of strength????

Having said that - all the other suggestions made good sense: bolt in direct replacement accounting for all the hood latch, hydraulics, etc. (except for the washer holes - some people have show-cars or other reasons for not wanting the washer holes pre-drilled). That should be left alone, or offered as an option from the manufacturer.

**** Yeah, I agree with you there. I thought that too but just didn't say anything. I, myself, plan on shaving my wiper nozzles so I wouldn't want a hood to come pre-drilled. Maybe little 'dimples' underneath would be a good compromise.

Anyway, take it easy man. Relax a little.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

I'm relaxed as can be - cool like Fonzie. (That's a simile, btw) -didn't mean to come off "aggro." I apologize if I did. I thought I admitted I "got the point," (READ: understood the metaphor), and that I was just amused by it. . .

Y-pipes & hoods? -apples & oranges. Of course I would expect an aftermarket "engine-performance" enhancement accessory to actually "improve engine performance." That's the measure of it's value. The key performance measures of a static piece like a CF hood, however, (in my mind) are quality workmanship, fit/finish & weight reduction. As long as it's not "flimsy," it passes the strength test, in my mind. Of course, hold the products you buy to whatever standards you like - your choice as a consumer. I demand quality, too.

Hey - it's all good. As I said, I was just amused, that's all -didn't mean to start a flame war.

Have a great weekend!

Peace,

Originally posted by ptatohed

**** NO need for sarcasm KW. It's just a metaphor man, a metaphor. Do you honestly think he meant he will be standing on his hood? He was stating he'd like the hood to be strong, not weak. Period. Is that too much to ask?

**** M-E-T-A-P-H-O-R

**** The stock Y-pipe doesn't give 15-20 HP, why should an aftermarket? What kind of logic is that?
Why is it not resonable?! That is the bragging/selling point of carbon fiber man!!!!!! When Fiber Images's web site shows them dropping a full rim and tire off a ladder on to their CF hood, why is it "unreasonable" for bullseye to expect that kind of strength????

**** Yeah, I agree with you there. I thought that too but just didn't say anything. I, myself, plan on shaving my wiper nozzles so I wouldn't want a hood to come pre-drilled. Maybe little 'dimples' underneath would be a good compromise.

Anyway, take it easy man. Relax a little.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All you guys worrying about the strength of the hoods are forgetting something. The stock hood is designed to crumple under crash loading. Now, if the hood doesn't crumple and is super-strong, where do you think it's going to go?
Old 01-26-2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
All you guys worrying about the strength of the hoods are forgetting something. The stock hood is designed to crumple under crash loading. Now, if the hood doesn't crumple and is super-strong, where do you think it's going to go?
Carbon-fiber guillotine? Is that what you have in mind?

(I'd hope in a worst-case scenario, it would bust free of the hood mounts & just slide up & over the windshield, but who knows)

Anyone have any experience w/ a CF hood equipped vehicle in front-end impacts? Opinions?

I promise not to flame or offend. . .

(Me/Bart @ the chalkboard)
Old 01-26-2002, 07:50 PM

My feelings are hurt!

That's OK. I'm a big boy. In fact, I really would *not* expect a CF hood to support my 270 lbs.! I just don't want it to unfurl like a flag at 100-mph and flip over my car like a playing card!

I do want *very* nicely finished edges, with plenty of resin and clearcoat in there. I don't want to get a splinter in my fingers everytime I raise the hood. That stuff hurts!

And I think y'all are right about those washer nozzle holes. I agree that the pre-drilling should be an optional service. And those holes, if requested, should be *professionally* drilled and finished, too.

If I had an opportunity to install a CF hood that replaced my stocker hood one-for-one, and it was a beautiful piece of craftsmanship to behold, I would pay top dollar for it, that's for sure. Top dollar.

Can you say "Lifetime Guarantee" folks?

And lastly, I thank those who rushed to support me in my hour of need. But I think y'all may have over-reacted just a tad. I'm glad someone was amused by my post. But remember, it's those psychological scars that last a lifetime. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:53 PM

one word. "glass"

carbon fiber hoods have a film of sorts like tint over them to hold them together as a window does if it is tinted and broken.. the glass part shatters and if it breaks that film it would crumble to pieces or essentially crumple..

no guillotine.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

This has become too funny. Thanks for the laugh KW and bullseye.