4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'95 - "No Start" Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'95 - "No Start" Problem

New member...this is my first post.

Have an intermittant "no start" problem on my 95 GXE w/AT. First experience 2 days ago. After reaching destination of 200 mile trip, and being off for 4 hours,, it would not start. Turning ignition switch to "start", no starter motor..nothing. Heard normal sounds of fuel pump priming. All eletrical accessories seemed to function. Checked fuses, etc. Since Battery had been replaced 3 weeks ago, did not try a jump start. Next morning, 1/26, it started,...acted like the battery was weak. Kept it running, drove home 200 miles. Turned off, then would not restart. Was able to jump start it. It has restarted since (4-5x), normally.

Had battery and charging system checked yesterday at discount store, they said normal. For the last few months I have noticed that occasionally the car would take a few more seconds to start when cold, but never failed to start. I replaced the battery, mainly since it was 4 years old & out of warranty.

Before I make an appt at the dealer for a diagnostic check, any ideas
from anyone. My 95 is an early production (8/94) model. Have owned since 8/95. It's been a great car otherwise.

Thanks.

Kevin
Old 01-27-2002, 11:42 AM

I had this EXACT problem..

I thought it was my starter since mine was old and sucky..

so I had it replaced.

That turned out to not be the problem, it was the wiring harnesses was dirty or something,

so I got a new starter and cleaned that and it works PERFECT now (knock on wood - with my car)..

try pulling the harness that is on the starter out and brush it and put it back in.. you can do that without removing your intake i think(if you have a aftermarket one)
Old 01-27-2002, 02:17 PM

Check your negative battery cable at the engine/ground connection. Use a 1/2 drive rachet with an extension and a 12mm socket. Follow the opposite end of the cable from the top of the battery down into the engine area. Tightened up this nut, hopefully this may resolve your problems. Please keep us posted! Best wishes. 96se 161,260
Old 01-27-2002, 02:22 PM

Sounds just like what my 95 was doing. I replaced the starter with the cheapest one I could find and she's been starting great since.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:53 PM

just buy a new starter!!! PROBLEM SOLVED

cost: $120-140 + $70 core charge(refunded when you bring back your old starter)

very simple install.... 40 mins tops

Ant
Old 01-27-2002, 04:59 PM

i went to dealer when it happened to me
he whooped me wit 400$ for new starter
Old 01-27-2002, 05:57 PM

I had that same problem as well for almost 2 years. I actually did 2 things to fix it. First, I had a throttle body cleaning done and that worked like magic -- the car started smooth and was jumpier specially through the first and second gears. Second, I also changed out the starter motor. The problem with my starter was that it was drawing about 16V from the battery during startup. Thus, once the engine started, it would die a few seconds after because the battery wouldn't have enough charge to maintain it running. I would have to restart it by pumping the gas, and a big puff of black smoke would exit off the back due to the urburnt fuel (flooded engine) in the chamber. Once I replaced the starter, no more hard starting problems at all. If you do a search on this topic, you'll find that a lot of people had this problem as well.
Check out this site...
http://www.motorvate.ca/
It will show you how to clean a throttle body.

Later,
Peter
Old 01-29-2002, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by ny96max
just buy a new starter!!! PROBLEM SOLVED

cost: $120-140 + $70 core charge(refunded when you bring back your old starter)

very simple install.... 40 mins tops

Ant

Access to the starter / solonoid seems tight. I have a stock intake. Did you have to remove the intake/MFS to gain access to the starter ?

If so, are the instructions / photos on motorvate.ca to remove the components the best to follow ? Also, did you replace your solonoid when you changed your starter ?

Thanks...Kevin
Old 01-29-2002, 07:23 PM

Re: '95 - "No Start" Problem

I had the same problem I replaced the starter and the problem was solved.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by kevink

Access to the starter / solonoid seems tight. I have a stock intake. Did you have to remove the intake/MFS to gain access to the starter ?

If so, are the instructions / photos on motorvate.ca to remove the components the best to follow ? Also, did you replace your solonoid when you changed your starter ?

Thanks...Kevin
Yes, the intake has to go. Take out as much as can easily be done. Part of it is easier to leave in and just tie/bungee out of the way. The motorvate.ca instructions should be fine, but you will have to remove your stock air box and scoop first. That is simple enough though. I did not change my solonoid (unless it came as part of the new starter that I bought, I have no idea).

Just a side note, I bought the cheapest remanufactured starter I could find and it worked better than my old stock one ever did.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Prolepsis

Yes, the intake has to go. Take out as much as can easily be done. Part of it is easier to leave in and just tie/bungee out of the way. The motorvate.ca instructions should be fine, but you will have to remove your stock air box and scoop first. That is simple enough though. I did not change my solonoid (unless it came as part of the new starter that I bought, I have no idea).

Just a side note, I bought the cheapest remanufactured starter I could find and it worked better than my old stock one ever did.

I finally found the time to replace the starter and that solved the problem. The "no start" problem, did not reoccur for about 6 weeks, then almost left me stranded. I bought one from Autozone (it came with a new solonoid). It took a bit over 2 hours. Had the most diffculty with removing the larger bolt holding the starter to the engine. Had to use a pipe on a 1/2 drive socket wrench for leverage. Also the small plastic connection to the solonoid was a bit difficult to remove from it's mount.

Used the Motorvate.ca pictures for guidance.

Thanks to all who replied to my questions !!

I'm ready to tackle replacement of noisy front disk pads now.

Kevin