4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2" drop springs do not cause leaking input shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 PM

2" drop springs do not cause leaking input shaft

So in a FS thread this guy proceeded to argue about input shaft bearings and lowered cars so i seriously want to hear the mathematics on this one.

Originally Posted by Stillen Maxima
What's up guys,

I don't own a 4th gen anymore so I have a few items FS.

1) LSD tranny with axle included. Tranny shifted smoothly and perfect when I removed it from my car. Only reason I took it off was because the input shaft started to leak a little. Someone can replace the bearing and you'll have an awesome tranny.

Originally Posted by TheGroceryGetter_A32
Sounds like your selling an used and abused transmission just saying. Does the Lsd still work properly?
So why are you asking if you think it's used and abused? I didn't know that if a bearing went bad meant that a transmission was abused. Bearings are bearings and here is no telling when they will go bad.
Whoa bro relax im just stating what I see. Your selling lowering springs in the same thread that was probably on the same car that the transmission came off of, am i correct? You said the transmission bearing is starting to fail. And lowering the car will cause that, so that is some form of abuse. The best I can give you for a transmission that is failing is $100 and I can pick up.
Thanks for the offer, I'll pass.
Thanks, I hope everyone can see and take it for what it is, and pass aswell.
Originally Posted by Crusher103
da n00bs have arrived.

Lowering springs effect the axles btw not the transmission. In fact there is absolutely no direct physical connection between lowering springs and the input shaft. My car is lowered by 3" and my input shaft bearing is fine but it will eventually wear out because input shaft bearings do actually wear on on 5spds. Learn what you are speaking of before you speak, bruh.
Thanks bud lol

I had my car lowered on coilovers and never had input shaft issue. Tranny is still going strong with 0 issues and 315k miles. But hey... Other people obviously think different.
Originally Posted by PFI30t
You seem to have opened your mouth too wide and gear oil filled it up because lowering the car will put stress on the differential bearing. It has happened to me and many other that I know. You sound like your trying to defend someone that you know and I hope you learned something bruh
He doesn't know me nor I know him. So no one is defending me; I'm sure he's just giving his input like the initial guy did and now you.

Just to give any interested buyer some of MY own personal input regarding the discussed bearing/lowering topic.... I owned my 98 maxima for 14 years, the car was slammed the entire time I owned it and never experienced any issues related to what's being discussed. I've owned 9 Maxima's and the transmission that I'm selling came from one of them which was not lowered more than 1.5 inches.

I don't think anyone can gaurantee what the right answer is. I just clearly stated from my own experience. To top it off I currently own a 2002 maxima loweted at least 3.5 inches all around with 145k and 0 issues with tranny.
Originally Posted by jerrod99_se-l
The only way i can see lowering would put stress on the input shaft is if the joints in the axle were completely shot...thats why the joints flex...if they didnt it would be just a rigid axle..then i could see it putting stress on the input shaft...lowering a car can be rough on suspension parts...tie rods, ball joints etc...especially if the car is stanced...
I bet Says the guy who is trying to sell a Transmission thats leaking
INPUT SHAFT!

First of all do you know where the input shaft is? Seriously? The input shaft is the shaft that connects the flywheel and clutch to the transmission. So unless the transmission is mounted on the motor at an awkward or funny angle which is almost impossible, there is no way that lowering springs will effect the input shaft. Lowering springs effect axles, and the axles have no physical connection with the input shaft. It is will documented that the 5spd input shaft bearing goes bad due to FACTORY misalignment from shimming issues. What does this mean? ALL 5SPDS ARE DEFECTIVE FROM THE FACTORY. It is a fixable problem that again is well documented. VLSD transmissions typically sell for around $700, you guys do the math.

Secondly i don't know the seller, never met him or spoke to him before. This is just the truth of the matter.

Seriously what is next, 2" Lowering springs caused my spun rod bearings yo0, because it was low bro. 2" Lowering springs caused my timing chain to skip a tooth yo0. I live the 2" Thug Life.

Again learn what you are speaking of, bruh.
You have no clue what your talking about. Get more knowledge then report back and learn how to read. You probably changed your own brakes and think you know it all bruh
I guess 3 separate 3.5 swaps, a 6spd swap and a diff replacement in a 5spd, on top of a full interior swap, multiple wiring procedures i guess all that does not count towards knowing anything outside of brakes......Who knew.

Second nobody was talking about the differential bearings we were talking about the input shaft, if we were talking about diff bearings you MIGHT have had a point but we are not so just stop trying. You actually have no idea what you are talking about.

The OP made in perfectly clear the condition the transmission was in. On top of that he is a long time member who has sold many items on here with out any issues. So in short if you want to buy it, then buy it. If you do not agree with the price PM the him an try and negotiate. Otherwise just shut the **** up and keep moving. Bruh.

/end.
If you only knew... I'm not your typical cheap a$$ org guy. This tranny has been sitting in my shed for 2 years and if you didn't notice I bumped the thread I created in 12/14. I'm not asking or begging anyone to buy it. I could have easily lied and said that I picked it up at a junk yard and up for grabs for $250. But that's no me, I'm honest my reputation here speaks for me. I just think it's still a great tranny for a real enthusiast to buy and fix for his car. But hey if I was desperate I could have sold it for $100 bucks like I was offered below.
Wow your a joke. You think that little bit of work you've done makes you knowledgeable. Its funny that you went back and actually read and now your agreeing with me in a way

And the OP doesn't have a clue hes taking a guess as he says that he only pulled it off because "it has a little like from the inputshaft" ??? How could you possibly see that? So get a clue and get your weight up noob
You are a lier if you go back and read the whole thread you didn't have anything to say when someone confronted you about what you was trying to sell. It was only when someone tried to defend you that you had something to say about multiple cars you had with 0 issues and blah blah blah but this is the only transmission "which you have no clue about" that has a small leak at the inputshaft that would be impossible to see so I hope people see this for what it is
Are you delusional? No really, are you on any form of medication? How do lowering springs make input shafts go bad? I'm dead serious please explain this logic because im pretty sure 95% of the org would like to hear your explanation. Create a new thread, please so we can hear this explanation. Title it "Lower springs cause input shaft bearing failures". Its so far fetched. but please explain this one.
You make me laugh....why don't you get the F out of my thread if you aren't buying anything.
Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton

Sucks what happened to this thread.
Feel bad for the OP.
But it's worthy at least.

Can't wait to read that new thread about input shafts an lowing springs.
Originally Posted by James92SE
Wow this thread is turning into a true gem.

I don't know anybody involved here, and have zero dog in this fight, but you guys attacking the OP - you don't appear to understand FWD transmissions.

I can see how, in theory, a catastrophically lowered car could stress the differential bearings enough to cause premature wear/failure of the differential bearings. The car would need to be lowered so severely as to cause the axles to bind, and thus force all the stress into the differential. However, at this point, with your axles binding, the car would be borderline undriveable and have tremendous and obvious driveline vibration.

Even if the axles caused the differential to stress laterally (which they wouldn't, unless the axles are way too long and/or if they were binding), that still doesn't impact the input shaft, not at all. If you push the differential over one way or the other, all that does is slide the differential final drive teeth up or down on the mainshaft front/lower worm drive gear a few hundredths of an inch.

And then, even if you were able to totally annihilate the differential bearings enough to force the differential further than that, your differential final drive gear would have to then impact first gear on the mainshaft. Guess what happens then? Still doesn't affect the input shaft. And at that point, your transmission case would break from the stress anyway. If your transmission case by some miracle did not explode at that point, and the mainshaft was able to be forced one direction or the other via the differential movement, guess what happens then? Still doesn't affect the input shaft. The gear teeth on the mainshaft would simply slide up or down the gear teeth on the input shaft. They would need to move a whole lot in relation to eachother and at that point guess what happens? Your case explodes, of course.

The RS5F50A/V transmissions notorious for ISB failures anyway, even in totally stock form. To find a 20 year old used RS5F50A/V that has a failing/failed input shaft bearing, and to then chalk it up to anything other than "typical RS5F50A/V probz" is a stretch.

Only one thing ruins input shaft bearings and that is improperly measured end play/improperly sized shims. The same pretty much goes for the differential and mainshaft bearings - too much or too little preload.

And guess what else? Input shafts have seals that *gasp* leak as they age. Does the used car with a leaking rear main seal get accused of being abused as well?
So you are another one who agree to disagree. You spent all that time typing opinion but yet you slightly agree. Before you people post your opinion make sure you read before you respond to someone
No but you seem to be since mentioned it. And let me ask you a question and you have your 5th ammendment right so you say lowering a car will cause the axles to fail now what part of the axle will fail?
Originally Posted by The Wizard
Guys, please start a new thread in the 4th gen section and start an intelligent discussion there. You'll get other opinions too.
Originally Posted by James92SE
"Slightly agree" with what?

No I don't agree. I said in theory it could prematurely wear the differential bearings. In theory. I presume nobody here is slammed 6" inches so no, in practice I do not agree. In practice, it's a total non-issue. You do also realize that in addition to the play offered by having two CV joints on the axle, that the axles themselves also have a good 1/2" of movement even when locked into the transmission with the snap ring, right?

Plus, we know for damn sure the passenger side axle isn't being jammed into the differential because it's fixed stationary via the carrier bearing.

I saw that you said you suffered differential bearing issues. I'd argue that you being lowered is a spurious correlation, not causation. Just because your differential bearings went bad, and you happened to be lowered, doesn't mean your differential bearings went bad because you're lowered. Who cares if other lowered people have suffered the same fate - that's purely anecdotal. Innumerable totally stock 3rd and 4th gens have suffered the same fate. Oh wait, I think I read that they've all eaten ice cream before. Aw man, ice cream causes transmission failure.

You're simply incorrect, as is the other guy who is simply mad that he couldn't score a VSLD transmission for $100.
So that is where the discussion ended, please knowledgeable member step forward and let us discuss lowered cars. oh and PFI30t the part of the axle that will fail is the CV joint not the diff bearings or input shaft bearings.

Last edited by Crusher103; 12-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:59 PM

No ... it's true.

I "raised" my car and my input bearings keep regenerating. Therefore, the opposite must be true.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:32 PM

mine was dropped 2.5" in the summer, had no problem with input shaft bearing
Old 12-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Crusher103 your not very knowledgeable like you try to make yourself seem not one time have I posted that lowering a car will cause input shaft bearing failure. You need to read before you post. The original OP Stillen maxima posted a transmission for sale which he stated that he had a little input shaft leak and said If the input shaft bearing is replaced you can have an awesome transmission. Someone else posted that lowering the car will put stress on the transmission bearing which I have to agree with then you came in and posted about what ever the hell language you speak then you slightly agree to the differential bearing can fail if the car is lowered but then continue to talk about the input shaft bearing. Your a confused kid who thinks he knows it all based on no experience as I know of first hand experience
Old 12-18-2015, 03:36 PM

There's a reason why when you buy aftermarket products that it will tell you that they aren't responsible for any damage to your vehicle
Old 12-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Yea, they do not claim responsibility because lowering springs have no effect on your transmission bearings you idiot. 2" drop springs really are going to cause any kind of transmission bearing problem, Two inches??? So stands to reason if 2 really fat people sit in the car on a daily bases, the bearings are fcuked?
Old 12-18-2015, 03:47 PM

Crusher103 your not very knowledgeable like you try to make yourself seem not one time have I posted that lowering a car will cause input shaft bearing failure. You need to read before you post. The original OP Stillen maxima posted a transmission for sale which he stated that he had a little input shaft leak and said If the input shaft bearing is replaced you can have an awesome transmission. Someone else posted that lowering the car will put stress on the transmission bearing which I have to agree with then you came in and posted about what ever the hell language you speak then you slightly agree to the differential bearing can fail if the car is lowered but then continue to talk about the input shaft bearing. Your a confused kid who thinks he knows it all based on no experience as I know of first hand experience
INPUT SHAFT NOT DIFF BEARINGS. INPUT SHAFT!

It has absolutely nothing to do with what you are trying to come up with. And excuse me for having a car lowered first on eibach springs then on Coilovers for about 8 years.

BTW i speak 5 languages: English, Jive, Ebonics, Spanglish, and Funk.

Last edited by Crusher103; 12-18-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:49 PM

Im still waiting on the mathematics on how lowering by 2" causes the input shaft to leak. This is as far fetched as saying a loose bolt on your dashboard caused an injector to become stuck open.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:01 PM

While your at it please explain how CV axles work as well, i am actually dying to know.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:13 PM

ok question what if the car is only lowered by 1" will i have diff bearing problems?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:14 PM

how about if i put the OEM SE springs on a GLE, that lowers the car by .5" will i have any diff or input shaft bearing problems?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:43 PM

I have little to no knowledge on transmissions, but common sense here... Only the CV joints get damaged, not the bearings? I don't see how they get damaged if they aren't altered in any way. Ask tons of other people who are slammed if they had to replace anything in the transmission. Pretty sure it's only the axles they change.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 PM

OK This is it kids, the Drive Shaft is flexible, and cannot damage the transmission by dropping the car, the most damage you can do is break the joints that are located in the boot, and that's nowhere close to the transmission, its right at the knuckle, if your car is lowered that's the only part that is going to flex, and nothing else, so problem solved

P.S If you look at the Drive Shaft from the picture before you'll see that It as 2 boots, and both of them will go up, and down, in, and out when the car is in motion, and that's how your drive shaft stays engage when your shocks, and springs are working, and bouncing up, and down... this is common sense guys

Last edited by LuminousX; 12-18-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by LuminousX
OK This is it kids, the Drive Shaft is flexible, and cannot damage the transmission by dropping the car, the most damage you can do is break the joints that are located in the boot, and that's nowhere close to the transmission, its right at the knuckle, if your car is lowered that's the only part that is going to flex, and nothing else, so problem solved

P.S If you look at the Drive Shaft from the picture before you'll see that It as 2 boots, and both of them will go up, and down, in, and out when the car is in motion, and that's how your drive shaft stays engage when your shocks, and springs are working, and bouncing up, and down... this is common sense guys
Ok can you explain why and how lowering a car would cause damage to the axle and what type of damage
Old 12-18-2015, 06:52 PM

By everything you have posted, it's obvious you don't know anything about cars. And changing oil at Walmart does not Qualify. BTW I did have one ASE CERT, as well as worked as a VW dealer tech, as well as multiple indy shops. I've built engines and differentials, and replaced many CV joints.

Lowering a car WILL cause a CV to work past its intended angle of operation, and WILL cause it to wear sooner than intended. Lowering WILL NOT, however, affect the bearing as the CV joint will isolate the bearing from the radial loads.

All this is mute though, because you were defending another troll that claimed lowering would destroy the INPUT SHAFT BEARING.

Last edited by The Wizard; 12-19-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Administrator

I said an intelligent discussion...and this is what it turns into.

I'm going to close this for tonight. When I open it tomorrow, let's discuss the topic like normal people...mmmkay?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Let's try this again. No name calling or derogatory posts please...
Old 12-19-2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I said an intelligent discussion...and this is what it turns into.

I'm going to close this for tonight. When I open it tomorrow, let's discuss the topic like normal people...mmmkay?
Intelligence? What's that?
Old 12-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Intelligence? What's that?
Man you don't listen
Old 12-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
By everything you have posted, it's obvious you don't know anything about cars. And changing oil at Walmart does not Qualify. BTW I did have one ASE CERT, as well as worked as a VW dealer tech, as well as multiple indy shops. I've built engines and differentials, and replaced many CV joints.

Lowering a car WILL cause a CV to work past its intended angle of operation, and WILL cause it to wear sooner than intended. Lowering WILL NOT, however, affect the bearing as the CV joint will isolate the bearing from the radial loads.

All this is mute though, because you were defending another troll that claimed lowering would destroy the INPUT SHAFT BEARING.
First of all I don't work at Walmart just because you buy walmart super-tech oil doesn't give you the right to think I work at Walmart. Second I didn't ask you what you do or have done. Since you claim to know it all you should know better changing the angle of operation
Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Administrator

If you can't argue the point of the thread, then we're done here...all you're doing is taking jabs at each other.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:25 PM
SLOW

what a wonderful exchange of ideas.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:40 PM

First of all I don't work at Walmart just because you buy walmart super-tech oil doesn't give you the right to think I work at Walmart. Second I didn't ask you what you do or have done. Since you claim to know it all you should know better changing the angle of operation
Theres a great deal on castrol gtx 5w30 standard oil at walmart. At least where I live. about $15 for 5qts. Good stuff doggy
Old 12-19-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Theres a great deal on castrol gtx 5w30 standard oil at walmart. At least where I live. about $15 for 5qts. Good stuff doggy
Super-tech non synthetic $9.72 for the 5qt and change it every 6k miles now that's good stuff
Old 12-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I concour with everything James said.

I'm conflicted between laughing and shaking my head
Old 12-20-2015, 06:28 AM

been .... for da LOLZ

gonna sum up this thread right here.

Name:  no%20time%20to%20explain%20grab%20a%20cactus_zpsqsnpgzjs.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Got Retrofit?