4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

TPS Adjustment Now A MAP/BARO Code ... What Gives?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:18 AM

TPS Adjustment Now A MAP/BARO Code ... What Gives?

I was experiencing some not too significant issues lately that led me to wanna check the adjustment on my TPS. No codes.

I did the TPS adjustment and got the fully closed resistance right at .5k-ohms but with maintaining that fully closed resistance I couldn't get the fully open resistance any higher than 3.85k-ohms. The FSM states that the fully open resistance should "approximately 4.0k-ohms".

I have continuity with the throttle fully closed, NO continuity when open, the desired situation.

Upon completing the TPS adjustment and subsequent to putting things back together, the car idles like total friggin a*s and I've now got a MAP/BARO code ... P1105.

Your thoughts on this?

I'm thinking, based on the acceptable fully closed resistance range outlined in the FSM and not so much of a range for the fully open, I might need to readjust paying most attention to the fully open resistance.

Again, any thoughts on this?

Can anyone correlate a poorly adjusted TPS to a P1105 DTC?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM

I would first go over and recheck for vac leaks, see if that is the cause. Sometimes i finish all my work on a car and i get extra codes like that, turns out i missed a vac line.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:08 AM

Apparently ... and I'm not holding my breath here ... an untightened air intake accordion boot to throttle body clamp can cause a MAP/BARO code and exacerbate the symptoms of a poorly adjusted or failing TPS.

I tossed and turned all last night trying to fu**ing figure out what I did to cause the code and the horrible surging and pulsing idle.

The only thing I couldn't clearly recall "reattaching" or "reinstalling" was the tightening of the accordion boot clamp.

Sure as sh** ... when I checked it this morning ... totally loose.

I ran the car, cleared the code, warmed the car, drove the car ... no returning code. For now at least.

There's still some odd pulse in the idle which seems to even out a few seconds after lifting from the accelerator, which I'm attributing to the TPS. I plan try a readjustment on that but I also have a new one on the way.

I'd have thought that I unclamped seal on the accordion boot would be adequate keep unmeasured air out ... apparently I'm mistaken and those claps are truly there for good reason.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 AM

False alarm ... the code (P1105) has been generated once again.

However, the car seems be running quite normally.

I'll pull air intake stuff again a look for hoses and e-connectors that I may have erroneously disconnected but I'm pretty sure they're not there.

I'll also test the MAP/BARO solenoid and see what that reveals.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:07 PM

Found it ...

Unknowingly pulled a vacuum line when I was moving portions of the engine harness out of my way.

My bad.