4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Selecting the firmness of Koni rears

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 11:33 AM
maz

Selecting the firmness of Koni rears

I am trying to determine how firm I should set the Koni's I have in the rear with the non-adjustable Tokicos up front. What would be the best setting to compliment the front firmness. What would be the equivalent to the Tokicos up front? Thanks for you help in advance...
Old 01-28-2002, 12:02 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Selecting the firmness of Koni rears

Originally posted by maz
I am trying to determine how firm I should set the Koni's I have in the rear with the non-adjustable Tokicos up front. What would be the best setting to compliment the front firmness. What would be the equivalent to the Tokicos up front? Thanks for you help in advance...
The adjustability up front is where it matters the most...

I had full soft, then reset it to 80% firm. I thought it just mad the back too stiff so I reset it to about 25%... and that's where it will stay... If you autocross then you may want it firmer... Get the fronts if you can... (AGX's are cheaper and don't require modification)
Old 01-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Selecting the firmness of Koni rears

Unless you want more understeer, it is a good idea to keep the back at least as firm as the front.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:56 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Selecting the firmness of Koni rears

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Unless you want more understeer, it is a good idea to keep the back at least as firm as the front.
In general... but that depends also on rear swaybar and settings there too (amoung other factors). Besides... he has Tokicos which are fairly soft.

Also.. unless you go near full hard... the compression rate isn't changed ... it's mostly rebound.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:56 PM
maz

I also have the Stillen RSB, which is 1 inch behind the axle beam. I would prefer to have the ride as comfortable as possible but dont want to loose performance. Would keeping the Koni's soft, but moving the RSB to under the axle beam keep my ride soft without producing too much understeer?
Thx
Old 01-28-2002, 10:13 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by maz
I also have the Stillen RSB, which is 1 inch behind the axle beam. I would prefer to have the ride as comfortable as possible but dont want to loose performance. Would keeping the Koni's soft, but moving the RSB to under the axle beam keep my ride soft without producing too much understeer?
Thx
A lot of it will be personal preference... I noticed that tightening the front made a huge difference with reducing the 'floatiness' of the care... so I have it at about 75% in front.

I didn't notice an overall improvement on reducing the floatiness or better handling with the back set high. All I really noticed was increased ride harshness...So i set it lower. I also have the RSB.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:17 AM
maz

Thanks

Thanks all for your help, I'm going to try the softest setting, use that as a baseline and then increase the stiffness as necessary for comparison. I appreciate all your help, I might also follow Cheston's suggestion and move the RSB under the axle beam from 1 inch behind to reduce some of the understeer. Thanks again!