4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1997 Nissan Maxima Key Ignition start issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1997 Nissan Maxima Key Ignition start issues.

I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima with a V6, Automatic Transmission with over drive.

I'm having ignition key issues,
When turning the key in starting position the car doesn't want to start.Requires wiggling,pushing,pulling struggling with the key like crazy to get the car to start up.If you keep struggling,playing with it for a good 10 minutes it will start....

I owned this car for about 3 yrs.The ignition has been doing this every since I owned it.The past owner had the same issues I was told when I bought it.When I bought the car 3 yrs ago the owner told me just wiggle and play with the key it will start.My guess is the ignition been doing this for a good 6 yrs as I know.Now it's becoming worse to start.

I installed a new battery and starter about 6 mouths ago thinking it would solve the issue but,it didn't help a thing.

So,my guess is,It's either the ignition tumbler or ignition switch.
(1):How can you tell if the tumbler is bad?
(2):How can you tell if the ignition switch is bad?
Those are my questions above?Thank you!

If I may vent a little I would say this,
Beyond me why there wasn't a recall on the ignition on these 4th Gen Nissan Maximas!..Why anyone would cheaply design a ignition switch & Tumbler Metal on Plastic as thinking it would never wear-out beyond me.Then in turn install break-off bolts to the tumbler to never be removed is another foolish wonder.Dawn Japs!I'm just venting is all.Strong engine! I have over 300,000 on it ans still going.........Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 AM

I keep a new spare ignition switch on hand because it is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" the switch will go on one of my 4th gens.

I got mine at www.rockauto.com for $20.79.

I only buy Intermotor brand replacement parts when available.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=516&jpid=3

Instruction video. Note the comment in the video regarding DBear suggesting a shim addition to remove slack.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-10-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
JvG

Agreed, ignition switch most of the time. They are not too difficult to install.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies.My thinking is the plastic is warn-out in the ignition switch why I'm having issues in the full starting position.I seen a video on utube today telling people to place electrical tape on the tumbler switch to help remove any slop in the switch.I also,seen many other people posting, saying they replaced their ignition switches 5 times or more in a single year.By rights this should be re-call...I've owned GM's for yrs.Every GM I ever owned If a ignition switch ever went bad.You only had to replace it once the life of the car....I noticed someone commented on this post telling me while I'm in their I should place more money into this car.Ya right!lol....This car has over 300,000 miles.I'm driving it tell she drops.Other then a 30 dollar Ignition switch.This ride isn't seeing anymore jack from me.Sometimes it's like a Gambler,you gotta know when to fold them.Thanks!..Best Dan.........
Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 PM
JvG

Yes I am that "somebody" who uses that phrase as my signature.

You need an ignition switch for a car which has reaches 300 k miles. A car which still runs fairly well I take it?

An attitude like that won't earn you much help from those of us who have driven these cars considerable distances for ten years or more.

At least our ignition switches don't kill people like the ones from GM does.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:24 AM

A $20 ignition switch and 10 minutes struggle to get car started every time, no brainier to me. If you really want to cheap out, try to cut a piece of coke can to insert into the slot, better than electrical tape.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:16 PM

I don't think a new ignition switch will always fix the problem. See my post here: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post8875419