4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

High Speed Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

High Speed Differential?

Hello All,

I have a 1995 5-Spd Maxima. I was looking at a rebuilt half-shaft from Autozone (I have a torn CV Boot) and am not sure if I have a HIGH SPEED DIFFERENTIAL or not. How can I tell what I have?

Thanks in advance!

Gavin
Old 01-28-2002, 04:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Is there an echo in here? There are two differentials period.

A unit that has Limited slip and one that doesn't(open differential)

USA model 4-gens have an open differential.

What the hell is a "high speed differential"?

You sure you want to be buying parts from this guy??

You sure he's not asking you if you have abs or not?
Old 01-28-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Is there an echo in here? There are two differentials period.

A unit that has Limited slip and one that doesn't(open differential)

USA model 4-gens have an open differential.

What the hell is a "high speed differential"?

You sure you want to be buying parts from this guy??

You sure he's not asking you if you have abs or not?

I ran into that same problem... I went down to a dealership and asked them with my VIN number. they said they didn't see one on there so it must not be. So I told Napa no and the CV joint fit fine. But I asked the dealer.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: High Speed Differential?

Originally posted by Gavin
Hello All,

I have a 1995 5-Spd Maxima. I was looking at a rebuilt half-shaft from Autozone (I have a torn CV Boot) and am not sure if I have a HIGH SPEED DIFFERENTIAL or not. How can I tell what I have?

Thanks in advance!

Gavin
The exact same thing happened to me today, I went to Autozone and got asked the same questions. I assumed I didn't have one and said no, but of course the CV joint is sold out so I have to go back. Torn CV boots suck.

Adam
Old 01-28-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Re: High Speed Differential?

Originally posted by The_Bomb

The exact same thing happened to me today, I went to Autozone and got asked the same questions. I assumed I didn't have one and said no, but of course the CV joint is sold out so I have to go back. Torn CV boots suck.

Adam
No kidding man. I've had a total of 3 bad CV joints in the past 3 months. So I've had to replace the entire joint 3 times. (Left once and the right twice).
Gary
Old 01-29-2002, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The funny thing is that the high-speed differencial is cheaper!

Anyway, if anyone else has bought from Autozone or other and know the answer to my question I would appreciate it.

I will try the dealer route as well...

Thanks!

Gavin
Old 01-29-2002, 09:19 AM

The funny thing is that the high-speed differencial is cheaper!

Anyway, if anyone else has bought from Autozone or other and know the answer to my question I would appreciate it.

I will try the dealer route as well...

Thanks!

Gavin
They are the same part number guys!!!!!!!
Either one is one and the same!!!!!!!
The only thing that is important is ABS or NON-ABS & AUTO or Stick..
If your car is NON-ABS you can use ABS shafts. So if they are out of NON-ABS get an ABS... If you have abs.. GL finding an ABS one.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by cbr2

They are the same part number guys!!!!!!!
Either one is one and the same!!!!!!!
The only thing that is important is ABS or NON-ABS & AUTO or Stick..
If your car is NON-ABS you can use ABS shafts. So if they are out of NON-ABS get an ABS... If you have abs.. GL finding an ABS one.
Thats the same thing happened to me last week when I ordered those 5spd conversion parts from you......
Old 01-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How to tell which you have...

Morning all!

I spoke with the parts dept at my local dealer. He was unable to determine which type of differencial I had by VIN.

He did give an easy way to tell the difference though.

He said to raise the front two wheels. While in the air, spin one wheel. If the other wheel moves in the same direction the car has a limited slip differential (high speed differencial).

If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction then it is a regular differencial.

I don't know how this would affect the type of half-shaft, but AutoZone and Napa both ask the question... Maybe it's a different length or even different spline.

Gavin
Old 01-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Keven97SE

Re: How to tell which you have...

What that dealer is referring to is an open vs a viscous limited slip (VLSD) differential. There is no such thing as a high speed differential. I am 99% sure what they are talking about is open vs VLSD.

Now, if you bought your Maxima in the US, then you absolutely do not have the VLSD. You have an open differential. If you have a 5-speed, it doesn't matter either way in terms of halfshafts...the open diff and VLSD 5-speeds both use the same halfshafts (left and right). The only difference comes with autos. VLSD-equipped autos require a different driver's side halfshaft than the open diff (read: US) auto trannies.

But, once again, if you have a US Maxima (non-canadian), you have an open differential.

FYI: An open differential is commonly referred to as a non-locking differential. A limited slip (or VLSD in the Maxima's case) is referred to as a locking differential.

Morning all!

I spoke with the parts dept at my local dealer. He was unable to determine which type of differencial I had by VIN.

He said to raise the front two wheels. While in the air, spin one wheel. If the other wheel moves in the same direction the car has a limited slip differential (high speed differencial).

If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction then it is a regular differencial.

I don't know how this would affect the type of half-shaft, but AutoZone and Napa both ask the question... Maybe it's a different length or even different spline.

Gavin

Old 06-23-2002, 04:38 AM

Re: How to tell which you have...

Morning all!

Gavin
Change dealers. That test works with locked and clutch type diffs, not reliable with viscous or helical diffs. It is awesomely easy to tell - just look at the trans type number - if it ends in "A" it is open, if it ends in "V" it is viscous limited slip. As for your quest - they're both "high speed" diffs, that is not a distinction.

Dave