4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best tool for loosening Power Steering Pump Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Maintenance Monster

Naturally, I'm talking about the b*tchy bolt - on the engine side of the pump.
I tried it today and the best I could do was work a std length 12mm onto the bolt and not be able to budge it since the wrench/my hands were jailed by all the stuff.
I've heard things mentioned like 'extensions', 'universal', etc, - but nothing truly specific. I want to buy the best tool for the job so I need a specific description.
Also, I notice the Haynes and Chilton show this bolt with the exhaust removed. Anyone done that? It looks like I'd need to remove the O2 sensors and even then the pipe would only bend out of the way. Just a thought.

Dave
Old 06-22-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: Best tool for loosening Power Steering Pump Pulley?

Originally posted by dgeesaman
Naturally, I'm talking about the b*tchy bolt - on the engine side of the pump.
I tried it today and the best I could do was work a std length 12mm onto the bolt and not be able to budge it since the wrench/my hands were jailed by all the stuff.
I've heard things mentioned like 'extensions', 'universal', etc, - but nothing truly specific. I want to buy the best tool for the job so I need a specific description.
Also, I notice the Haynes and Chilton show this bolt with the exhaust removed. Anyone done that? It looks like I'd need to remove the O2 sensors and even then the pipe would only bend out of the way. Just a thought.

Dave
I didn't really think about it when i did it. I believe i used a 12mm socket, ~6in extension, and a ratchet.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:06 PM

I did mine a while back and I don't remember exactly what I used. If you are buying tools to get to it, you might consider a universal for your 3/8 drive socket, regular extensions which you can join together, wobble extenstions, and/or a flex handle rachet. Also consider a crows foot in the right size. You can check these tools out at Sears. You don't need them all, but you can look and decide which you think would be best to have.

I do remember I had to experiment to find a way to get to that nut. It was hard to get to. But, you do not have to take off the exhaust and you sure don't want to.
Good Luck!
Old 06-23-2002, 06:12 AM
Maintenance Monster

My solution

To close this issue for the archives, here's how I got to it.

I used a pivoting-head 3/8 drive socket wrench with a regular 14mm socket. Sitting down, facing the wheel well, I pivoted the handle 30° toward the socket side and managed to work it onto the bolt (which is facing away from me). I went through the opening to the rear of the strut and above the axle and steering rod. Just watch you don't yank the wires leading to the oxygen sensor in that opening. After some persistence, I managed to get the socket on the bolt and had 5-10° to work with to loosen it.

Now for the embarrassing part - when I went to loosen the pump lowering clamp, I _loosened_ the M12 bolt - which tightens the clamp. <Tommy Boy> I'm retarded </Tommy Boy>.

To make things more confusing, apparently the pump was stuck, since I couldn't feel it either tighten or loosen as I worked the bolt. Then the bolt broke. The belt tension never changed (Since I was going the wrong way, I expected the belt to get tighter). I got the broken bolt out, it looks as if it I can replace it, but now I wonder why the PS pump didn't budge even after the bolt broke. I'm glad the pump didn't move, so I was able to tighten the mounting bolt in back again and know I can drive it a bit until I get another adjusting bolt.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:28 AM

done deal

I used a pivoting-head 3/8 drive socket wrench with a regular 14mm socket. Sitting down, facing the wheel well, I pivoted the handle 30° toward the socket side and managed to work it onto the bolt (which is facing away from me). I went through the opening to the rear of the strut and above the axle and steering rod. Just watch you don't yank the wires leading to the oxygen sensor in that opening. After some persistence, I managed to get the socket on the bolt and had 5-10° to work with to loosen it.
Congratulations!!!
Many times having the right tool is the difference between getting a job done yourself and having to take it in to the shop. Buying the tool you need is often cheaper than taking it in to the shop. Then if you don't lose the tool, you have it to use the rest of your life.