4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with very lean cold start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 AM

need help with very lean cold start

this is a fast post with minimum testing,but heres what im dealin with... i got a cts code,and a air intake sensor code that just wont clear no matter what.. im perty shure the cts is thrown the air intake off least thats what the service manual says. so with the cts i just decided to replace it as to do the ohm test. i did the voltage tests and it has 4.8 wich is close enough to approx 5.0 that the manual specs state... and it has good ground. the issue i got is 1 soon as i start crankin the engine over the coolin fans start to run.2 it wont even atemp to fire cold unless i spray some either in it to get it goin,then and it sometimes takes a bit of playin with throttle to get it to mellow out and idle,most of the time it will idle down and its ok.. now on to when it gets to operatin temp... it will sometimes shut off like its to hot the guage runs in the middle of hot and cold assumin this is whear it should be so i let it cool about 10 min and it starts back up with no problem,but when driven down the road it like shuts off starts back up shuts off starts back up on and off on and off. if i prety much floor it it wont do the on and off thing,but dont have much power. im perty shure its fuel the ecm aint telln the fuel system to run rich enough and its gotta be somethin to do with the cts but what?? why wont it clear from ecm? starts without either when warmed up. i just dont get it.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 AM

you have to replace the coolant temperature sensor. there no other option and if you dont you could really damage the engine and spark plugs causing even more repairs and costs. go to the dealer and buy a new original one because they work the best where aftermarket sensors are no good for 4th gens. Heres the part number for the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 22630-ED000.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
you have to replace the coolant temperature sensor. there no other option and if you dont you could really damage the engine and spark plugs causing even more repairs and costs. go to the dealer and buy a new original one because they work the best where aftermarket sensors are no good for 4th gens. Heres the part number for the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 22630-ED000.
thanks for the info about aftermarket sensors. didnt know it made that much a difference. but i found out that i now for what ever god for saken reason have 12v on the yellow sensor wire,and now it just has the cts code and not the air temp.?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by chevyman1980
thanks for the info about aftermarket sensors. didnt know it made that much a difference. but i found out that i now for what ever god for saken reason have 12v on the yellow sensor wire,and now it just has the cts code and not the air temp.?
Your welcome.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 AM

If you have a decent OBD code reader that that can display live data, one of the things it will display is the coolant temperature, which is the ECTS. Check this in the morning before you start the engine and the reading should be the same as the air temperature.

Or you can check the resistance of the ECTS. You don't have to remove it from the car, just unplug the wire connector. The FSM has a resistance chart.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Agree on ECTS. Follow the advice given here, can't go wrong. Easy problem to fix.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Agree on ECTS. Follow the advice given here, can't go wrong. Easy problem to fix.
the resisance checks fine up to normal operateing temp then its off,gotta wait till pay day to get the oem sensor,but what has me lost is why in the world did it have 12v then iwen to check voltage again for the hell of it bout 15 min after full warm up,then it went back to 5v the temp sending guage seems to be out of wack ill check that in a bit,but thats just a sensor to a guage nothing to do with eninge management least i dont think have to look n see. and the air temp sensor code dissapeard out of the blue thats got me confused. but i found out that another damm injector is leakin so here we go again. wotn hold fuel pressure i knew i shoulda just got all 6 new and been done with it.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM
JvG

You can have the injectors serviced and rebuilt for about 100 bucks. Worked out well for me.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
You can have the injectors serviced and rebuilt for about 100 bucks. Worked out well for me.
found a set of new jegs on ebay for 80.00 thanks for the info. wonder how they actually rebuild them. this is the 3rd one now that leaked on me. fuel goes straight through it adn wont hold fuel pressure