4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tried to fix this deep scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Tried to fix this deep scratch

Ok so I had a long *** scratch across the whole trunk from left to right, jeez that was so irritating. I believe a shopping cart slid its way across the trunk and scratched my rear bumper as well at the same time. As I remember a shopping cart was facing the direction the scratch appears to be. Damn people put your carts back. -_- might as well park in a different spot and walk from there..

Well thank goodness the trunk scratch was taken care of at a professoinal detailer, he got all of the scratch off the trunk. It was like multiple lines across the trunk..nasty. I wanted the scratch off the trunk more than the bumper, but this bumper scratch annoys me as well, it just looks good when it's clean. The scratch is really noticable at a lot of angles.. Which is why I hate it.

So the rear bumper has recieved a deep scratch.. The detailer tried buffing it out a little, smoothed it out and it looked good for a little bit but then came back a little bit, the scratch still catches my fingernail, which means it's too deep to buff out

I told him I got the bumper and trunk repainted 7 months ago with lifetime warranty. He told me that if I go to my body shop they would spray just that area and be done within an hour? Since they document how many coats/clears they applied to the bumper and be able to Blend in the paint. I was like what?? That's some good information to know. Would it be best to do this? Especially I have pearl white.. 3 stage.

Since if buffing doesn't work then they usually have their customers recommend to go have it sprayed where the scratch is located rather than painting the whole thing.

What is your thoughts on this? How much should it be to repair the scratch if anyone has experienced this or what's the best route to go?

I have also been reading that wet sanding 2000/3000 grit paper would help especially on deep scratches like this? The professoinal detailers did not do this. Just to let you know. Would this work? Any ideas reply down below. Thanks.

--warning first 2 pics my car is dirty.. I know, but a clean one is up for yall folks on the last one.-- the first pic was before the detail and 2nd pic is after they buffed it out.. It's smoother but still catches my fingernail

Last edited by JoshG; 03-17-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

No body shop will spot in 3 stage pearl. They can spot in the base and blend in the pearl, then the entire surface needs to be cleared.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 PM

So what does that mean? They spray the scratched area with the base color then blend pearls in so that the whole bumper is blended in? Tell me more.. I want to know the secrets behind detailing, cause you can't go a year without a scratch no matter how hard we try to avoid it.. It happens.

Last edited by JoshG; 03-18-2016 at 01:13 PM.