4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hits keep on coming, Alt warning lights now on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Hits keep on coming, Alt warning lights now on.

So this week I changed out 3 injectors, long story short been driving the car yesterday and today with no problems. Today I get into the car with my cuz and we start driving to the store. I turned on the heat and about 2 mins later smell something burning... I thought it was outside possibly. I know I have a small water pump leak (99% sure) so I'm thinking coolant is leaking and that's what were smelling. Nahhh smells like an electrical fire... I pull over, pop the hood and you can see the smoke coming out from the passenger side of the car. Smoke stops, smell is gone, we look at each other and are like WTF. Drive back like 10 mins later no problems. On the way home, I noticed the brake light and battery light on, uughhh !! @#$&%.

I did a search and saw that these Max's had a electrical issue and there was a recall. I know they will not honor that on this car but I'm wondering if its that, or did coolant leak in there and damage the damn thing. I can replace it with a new one but don't want it going bad again because of the coolant leak. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

-Pewter
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 PM
JvG

Alternator is the likely cause.

I'd guess the water pump was not the reason that the alternator failed.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Alternator is the likely cause.

I'd guess the water pump was not the reason that the alternator failed.
Sup JVG, thanks man. I was hoping that's the answer I would have heard
BTW this is the thread I found and read.....
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ake-light.html

But I just wanted to ensure it wasn't because of the water pump leak.
thanks again bro.

John
Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 AM
JvG

Sometimes someone wants to sell a car because they know it some expensive problems which they don't want to deal with. So they sell the car.

Overall,the car is still good several years of driving.

You might have bought a car like that. So it had several time consuming and kinda expensive issues to deal with, one after another. Which is a pita. Also your friends might tell you to sell it and buy a new car.

Hang in there. The alternator will be an expense, but not to much of a pita.

But the water pump will be a pita, but not very costly.

After all this, you have a good car.

Please fix the water pump asap. Or you will be asking how to replace the engine.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Should be $200 to replace, not too bad.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Sometimes someone wants to sell a car because they know it some expensive problems which they don't want to deal with. So they sell the car.

Overall,the car is still good several years of driving.

You might have bought a car like that. So it had several time consuming and kinda expensive issues to deal with, one after another. Which is a pita. Also your friends might tell you to sell it and buy a new car.

Hang in there. The alternator will be an expense, but not to much of a pita.

But the water pump will be a pita, but not very costly.

After all this, you have a good car.

Please fix the water pump asap. Or you will be asking how to replace the engine.
Yeah I bought the car 3 years ago and had it sitting for 2.5 years. Only started at it in the last 5 months and now having all these issues. A new alternator was 200 from pep boys and Autozone had a re-manufactured one for 185. A friend told me about a place that is really good close by. Called them and they charged me 275 which included the part, labor and a lifetime warranty. So I went that route. It was too cold, and windy as hell today. I asked him about the water pump and he said for the water pump and alternator 650. I told him I will come back for that down the road. He said let me know when. The owner of this shop is very cool and we talked/BS'd for like an hour while his guys worked on the car.
Oh yeah and btw he tested the alt, it was pushing out 11.2 volts, not the 13-15 that it should be.

Originally Posted by JoshG
Should be $200 to replace, not too bad.
Yeah as you can see from above I paid 275 for it to be replaced, so all in all I am happy. Lights are all off
Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 PM
JvG

That price is not too bad for parts and labor. Glad that the lights are off, and the car is back on the road.

You will replace the water mump soon I hope.....