4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose speakers humming noise at low sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Bose speakers humming noise at low sounds?

When I listen to songs like "Forever young" from Alphaville sound is perfect but when listen to "When man love a women" from Michael Bolton where entire song is more taxing at bass sound is not clear anymore as it was before. I have Bose "Sigma 975" speakers. Is it time to replace speakers with "new" ones from junkyard?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:42 PM

It is possible that the cones of the speakers have broken/ripped or something like that. That will give you fuzzy sound. Look at the speaker from the front and gently press on the paper cone and see if it has separated from the frame.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Your speakers are in agony and crying for help every time you play Michael Bolton.

Seriously though, put your ear next to each speaker as a song plays to determine which speaker went bad. Inspect, and replace as necessary.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bbsitum
When I listen to songs like "Forever young" from Alphaville sound is perfect but when listen to "When man love a women" from Michael Bolton where entire song is more taxing at bass sound is not clear anymore as it was before. I have Bose "Sigma 975" speakers. Is it time to replace speakers with "new" ones from junkyard?
Don't be a cheap azz. Go to crutchfield and buy a $1,200 system. Or go to Walmart and get a $75 dollar system like I did. New speakers are so much nicer than JY crap. And ditch the Bose, it's overrated.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 PM

please DON'T replace your stereo system if your playing that tripe azz crap. just continue to let your stereo die, kthxbye
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM

Broth two front from junkyard. Sound is much better. Those are 075 from 99 infiniti. Wen will get time will take two back ones. 075 is at minimum so strong and high quality sound like sigma975. So I can keep enjoing sounds like
"O mandy", "Right here waiting" etc. Actually 10 minutes from now I will listen to it.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:26 PM

and I thought that I was old!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
and I thought that I was old!
you are
Old 05-04-2016, 01:14 PM

Broth two front from junkyard. Sound is much better. Those are 075 from 99 infiniti. Wen will get time will take two back ones. 075 is at minimum so strong and high quality sound like sigma975. So I can keep enjoing sounds like
"O mandy", "Right here waiting" etc. Actually 10 minutes from now I will listen to it.
I would like to correct myself. I think that 075 are weaker then sigma 987 somewhat. When I turn all way on I do not feel pain in ears like with 987. However I have enough of noise and quality is definitely same.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FYI about the 4th gen Bose

I would like to correct myself. I think that 075 are weaker then sigma 987 somewhat. When I turn all way on I do not feel pain in ears like with 987. However I have enough of noise and quality is definitely same.
I did a test once to confirm my suspicions about the Bose system. My theory was, despite the speakers being the same exact size, the front speakers and the rear speakers are different, and it's not all due to the amplifier.

I had an extra pair of Bose front speakers. The Bose system in my car still worked great on all 4 speakers.

In my experiment, I removed the rear speakers and separated the amp from the speakers. I did the same for the spare pair of front speakers I had lying around. Then , I put the spare front speaker together with the rear amp. I put things back together in my car and listened. The bass was different. Worse. One note-ish. If you could compare it with a home stereo system, it sounded like those systems that use a single subwoofer for all the bass. I freaking hate that sound. You need 2 speakers producing bass from different parts of the room. They produce a more balanced and consistent bass response.

Going back to my experiment in the car, what I believe happened is that the bass got worse because the fronts were producing the exact same bass as the rears. In the original system, the rear Bose speakers must have different voice coil windings than the fronts, so they produce bass differently. That difference, when working together, produces a well balanced bass response.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:32 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I did a test once to confirm my suspicions about the Bose system. My theory was, despite the speakers being the same exact size, the front speakers and the rear speakers are different, and it's not all due to the amplifier.

I had an extra pair of Bose front speakers. The Bose system in my car still worked great on all 4 speakers.

In my experiment, I removed the rear speakers and separated the amp from the speakers. I did the same for the spare pair of front speakers I had lying around. Then , I put the spare front speaker together with the rear amp. I put things back together in my car and listened. The bass was different. Worse. One note-ish. If you could compare it with a home stereo system, it sounded like those systems that use a single subwoofer for all the bass. I freaking hate that sound. You need 2 speakers producing bass from different parts of the room. They produce a more balanced and consistent bass response.

Going back to my experiment in the car, what I believe happened is that the bass got worse because the fronts were producing the exact same bass as the rears. In the original system, the rear Bose speakers must have different voice coil windings than the fronts, so they produce bass differently. That difference, when working together, produces a well balanced bass response.
Ehhh..... I'm not too sure about your experiment. without an RTA or a true DB meter I seriously doubt you can hear a difference between 2 different sets of Bose speakers. The biggest difference would just be their age. In my day I bypassed probably 500 Bose systems in Maximas & the front & rear speakers are exactly the same & the amps pushing them are exactly the same. The base differential that you hear is the difference between using the entire trunk as an enclosure & the small ported enclosure in the door.

As for the OPs question I would ask what kind of media he was playing from? Is it the factory radio? Is it a burnt CD, or for the love of GOD a cassette?
If it was a burnt CD on a factory radio I would say it is a bad recording. I had a customer that always complained that his system sounded like crap & it wasn't right. ALL of his media was downloaded & was crap. I just so happened to have the same CD in the shop & my CD sounded times better & hit much harder with no hiss. So Media.....

Second question. Is it an after market radio going through Bose amps? The common mistake is to put an after market radio on a Bose system without bypassing the amps. Everyone has head Garbage in Garbage out. When you put an aftermarket radio on a amplified Bose system is it is garbage in, louder garbage out. An after market radio with 45 watts has in herent noise that cant be heard. When you boost that noise through the Bose system, it is very apparent. That's why Michael Bolton sounds like he is singing from a washing machine. Other types of music like Rage, Tupac, or Travis Tritt sound good. All the noise is being boosted. Try playing Kenny G.... (I just gagged a little bit) & it sounds like an LP covered in dust.

If you want a truly good sounding stereo, put in a quality aftermarket radio, small 5 channel amp, bypass the Bose amps, & a 10" sub & you will be suprised.