4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

auto shift knob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 PM

auto shift **** replacement

hey guys im looking to replace the factory auto shift **** as mine is all torn up but i cant seem to find a write up on how to do it . also looking for a decent shift **** to replace it with nothing ricey but something to give it a lil better look . also what do i do with the od button lol any help would be awsome thanks
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had my shifter apart not too long ago to investigate making it shorter, but I abandoned the idea after realizing that if I did shorten it I would no longer have a comfortable resting place for my hand within easy reach of my touch screen audio system.

To remove the shift lever you have to remove the shifter trim plate which snaps in. Next you must remove the ashtray which is held in by one screw. The console must come out to gain access to remove the shifter indicator trim around the shifter. You have to remove all of this to gain access to unplug the overdrive switch wiring so that you will be able to pull the shift lever off the shaft. The console is held in the front with two screws visible with the shifter trim plate removed. There are also two screws at the rear of the console, one on each side. They are accessible with the seats moved all the way forward. The console will lift out in one piece after you unbutton the parking brake boot. Once the console is removed you will need to remove the indicator trim. This is held in place in four places with snap together joints that must be pressed in as you lift the trim. Once it is loose it will expose the path of the overdrive button wiring. The connector for the wiring must be unplugged from the right rear connector under the shifter mechanism. The shifter can now be removed after removing the two screws on the back side of the lever. The lever is a typical design where it has a plunger rod down the center that must be pressed down to move the lever. You should be able to install most any auto trans **** with push down or in release button. To retain the function of the overdrive button, just obtain a momentary switch from Radio Shack or from a source online. Find a location on the console or shifter plate and mount the switch. Connect the switch using the wiring removed from the original shift lever.

Last edited by Watchdevil; 06-18-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bigmike249
hey guys im looking to replace the factory auto shift **** as mine is all torn up but i cant seem to find a write up on how to do it . also looking for a decent shift **** to replace it with nothing ricey but something to give it a lil better look . also what do i do with the od button lol any help would be awsome thanks
Removing that large dinosaur bone of a shift **** was the best thing I ever did. I got a good one from ebay. I ended up just using a toggle switch for the OD button, I never use it anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ra...xUv1fd&vxp=mtr
Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus909
I got a good one from ebay.
How is that plastic sleeve bushing fairing for you? I got a ebay shift know for my manual shifter and that one was plastic and broke while trying to get it on. Ended up buying an oem AE shifter

Last edited by bumpypickle; 06-20-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
How is that plastic sleeve bushing fairing for you? I got a ebay shift know for my manual shifter and that one was plastic and broke while trying to get it on. Ended up buying an oem AE shifter
Mine was made from metal, it works great. Just dont cut to much of the center metal piece. Like I did, still looks great doe.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus909
Mine was made from metal, it works great. Just dont cut to much of the center metal piece. Like I did, still looks great doe.
Momo shift **** dude? I got mine from eBay.
Best thing I did. More room, but you lose out on the hand rest use of it.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:49 PM

wow that looks really clean man I'm still thinking about doing mine . or switch to a 5 speed wth gen