4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Either I am completely insane or completely genius (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Either I am completely insane or completely genius (Part 2)

Where I left off my last thread was the car was all put together and life was good.

My engine is completely happy and pretty, my new turbo was spooling and making life wonderful... life generally is good...

and then... I got an idea.

(Disclaimer, I actually was given the idea, I don't claim to be a master mechanic, or even a particularly good one, my skill set lies in the detailing and customizing of engine bays, interiors and so on, not advanced engine set up)

Here are some pics just for a point of reference.

Name:  20160523_115007_zpstahonkt2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  289.0 KB

Name:  20160514_130715_zpsyem2wpaf.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  238.7 KB

Name:  20160523_115148_zpsngrfgxye.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  298.2 KB

I even spent the money and got myself a mevi with a slick carbon fiber cover, and I was going to install it when... I hit a snag.

My ******* injector on cyl 3 started misbehaving. So I spend 200 bucks on a new set of 550cc side feeds, which are hard as hell to find...

Cool done, no biggie...

Yes biggie. New injectors on... nothing... no love...

Ok, so now I am pissed. And what do I do when I am pissed?

Apparently I scrap the entire LIM/UIM set up and decide to go ***** out and get an 00vi swap... better fuel rail and much more plentiful injectors

Since I am messing around and getting a 00vi, and we are chasing high whp now with that plastic piece of engine love... i figure, heck, lets just go big.

My 00vi set up is:
2001 00vi with mild work done to the vi rod to make it more aerodynamic
570cc top feed injectors
NWP 5 piece spacer set
70mm Pathfinder Throttle body (goes without saying there is an adapter plate there)
Vafc2 to act as an rpm switch and for fine tuning

I always will tell you that the weak part of a maxima is the 5spd transmission... it is made out of glass... SO I called up my good friend Darren Surratt, and he sold me an epic 6spd hlsd transmission with sentra ser spec v guts, a jwt flywheel with 3.0 timing, and a 1200 lb clutch from jwt as well... also axles, lines, mounts, everything I need to direct 6spd swap my max...

Super cool, so then I thought "so now that I caaaaan handle more power... I should make more power..."

Lets. F-ing do this.

I first addressed the head lift issue with a turbo car by buying Juke headstuds and arp washers. This will require me to tap into the block a bit so that I can thread them correctly.

Then I got a rev-up oil pump so that it will keep up with the increased demand from my engine.

(those 2 upgrade"bulletproof" your vq against boost)

With those 2 things out of the way, I decided to look at rev up cams... and then I bought them

In order to make them work you need jwt cam adapers 3.0 to 3.5. 2 sets.

Cams being secured I decided to beef up the valvetrain... so to my local nissan dealership I went and I ordered:

REV-up retainers (24)
Hr valve springs (24)
Hr shims (48)

So with that all ordered this should make my engine fairly bullet proof and also one of the more extensive builds on a 3.0 dek. I am trying to go for as much power as I can on OEM parts... just by cannibalizing newer nissan technology its amazing to see the possibilities for this 20 year old car.

Build starts thursday with the 6spd swap and the 00vi install. Then its engine out and cams and valve train work... as well as new oil pump and the all important headstuds.

I will take lots of pics and attempt to walk you through how this is done.

Last edited by litch; 06-15-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:34 PM

Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Administrator

How much power are you putting down currently? and what are your goals?

I have to disagree with your statement about the 5spd tranny being glass. Close to 400hp here and holding up just fine.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard

I have to disagree with your statement about the 5spd tranny being glass. Close to 400hp here and holding up just fine.

I guessed you might chime in about the tranny. I dunno but 3 syncro cones are better than 2, and I have read on here fairly conclusively that the gear teeth on a 5spd are teeny tiny. But any way you cut it there is no doubt that the 6mt with the ser spec v guts paired with the jwt goodies is a good idea.

I have no idea what my whp numbers are and I am not gonna butt dyno it. Vipervadim, Streetz, and Dan Syster (dunno if you know them) are the ones who are helping (read spoonfeeding me) sort out the build.

My whp goal is 500. Hence why I beefed up the valvetrain, secured the head, and made sure my oil pump could handle the abuse.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 PM

I abused my sterling mist max with 5sp tranny to the fullest for 3 years every day at 123k and even grenaded it at 90mph at 2nd gear at about 145k!!!. Still run great for another 60k..
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo AND 00VI? Oh dear
When the short runners kick in AND turbo boost.........if there is a case of too much power, this might be it. Remember it's only the front wheels, and YOU holding the steering. I get visions of the engine running away and torque steering you into a wall lol.

Keep your OEM manifold around. The OEMs lazier top end performance might be better suited to your turbo setup. Or maybe an MEVI which also has a more mellow top end when compared to the 00VI.

Last edited by dwapenyi; 06-15-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:22 AM

I'm surprised at the vafc2
No nistune?!
Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
I'm surprised at the vafc2
No nistune?!

WHO said no nistune? Vafc is fine tuning and a gadget... I talked to the guys at nistune and they said it was fine to have with it, but basically all it does is let me lean out a little and shoot fireballs when I want too... #worthit.

So I got my transmission from darren and cleaned it and painted it. All in all I say it came out great.

Name:  IMG_20160619_222928_zpsfnmzwzxi.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  347.4 KB

That is just cleaning with a drill and wire bit attachments, then a wire brush, then some brake cleaner, then some primer and paint. The decals just add my flavor to it.

I also added all the carbon fiber stuff chris cruz sent me. Easy peasy with some body mounting tape from 3m

Name:  IMG_20160617_200440_zpsibsm7ci3.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  297.4 KB

thats the cf grille, but instead of a nissan badge i slapped a hoonigan sticker on it, because I wanted to and I like it.

Name:  IMG_20160620_145334_zpsfuz01l7m.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  95.5 KB

thats Iconic dynamics cf rear window wing. Looks classy and I like it.

Name:  IMG_20160620_052716_zpsgwh90g0t.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  400.8 KB

these are Iconic dynamics cf eyelids, they are mounted with 3m body tape and they make my headlights smile. Daddy like.

More shenanigans coming soon.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 PM

holy cow this is crazy, but man im waiting till the day you drive that thing! you are insane, but heck props to you for doing this. still waiting for the final result.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard

I'd say they are glass. 350wtq and your pretty much at its limits. It will last but you cant beat on it like an NA car could. the 6spds are a little better its around 450wtq before you start having problems.

But pushing a 4th gen to 500whp. It can be done but I hope you are adding strength to the chassis. Bracing and what have you. And now you really have to consider what suspension you are going to use on the car, brakes as well. But stock head and valves should handle 500whp with out much issues. So most of the stuff is just unnecessary. The only time you would need to build the valve train and change the oil pump is if you plan to rev beyond 7500rpm, which require some stupid powerband cams. A good set of JWT S1s are really all you need to open the motor up a little more. C2s if you want a bit more on the top end side. From what i understand your car is suppose to be mostly a street car. Seriously i have never heard of a VQ having valve float issues or an oil pump breaking. Bent rods, melted pistons and windowed blocks, THAT i have heard of. Secondtonone(RIP) windowed his Vq30 with only 370whp, so to bulletproof the 3.0 find the DET internals and pop those in.

Also get nistune NOW. Get rid of the Z32 maf, leave that for people still using emanages and other nonsense. Move to a R35 GTR MAF. Add flex fuel sensor so you can run E85 which will make your 500whp goal a little easier. BUT i think 400whp is all you will really want. Anything more than that just move to a different platform.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
I'd say they are glass. 350wtq and your pretty much at its limits. It will last but you cant beat on it like an NA car could. the 6spds are a little better its around 450wtq before you start having problems.

But pushing a 4th gen to 500whp. It can be done but I hope you are adding strength to the chassis. Bracing and what have you. And now you really have to consider what suspension you are going to use on the car, brakes as well. But stock head and valves should handle 500whp with out much issues. So most of the stuff is just unnecessary. The only time you would need to build the valve train and change the oil pump is if you plan to rev beyond 7500rpm, which require some stupid powerband cams. A good set of JWT S1s are really all you need to open the motor up a little more. C2s if you want a bit more on the top end side. From what i understand your car is suppose to be mostly a street car. Seriously i have never heard of a VQ having valve float issues or an oil pump breaking. Bent rods, melted pistons and windowed blocks, THAT i have heard of. Secondtonone(RIP) windowed his Vq30 with only 370whp, so to bulletproof the 3.0 find the DET internals and pop those in.

Also get nistune NOW. Get rid of the Z32 maf, leave that for people still using emanages and other nonsense. Move to a R35 GTR MAF. Add flex fuel sensor so you can run E85 which will make your 500whp goal a little easier. BUT i think 400whp is all you will really want. Anything more than that just move to a different platform.

hi crusher... couple things...

read my first either i am completely insane or completely genius post for brakes and suspension. Its all done. from red poly bushings, to progress anti sway bars... strut tower bars... its all done...

head float is a big deal... ask streets, vipervadim...etc... gonna do the headstuds.

are you suggesting that a higher capacity oil pump on an engine that WILL be revving higher and faster than normal (because dek) is a bad idea? There are guys around who are outrunning their oil pumps all day... like 3 blocks in a year but cant figure out that they need the rev up stuff.

You do realize that the top end of the motor is what makes the power right? The bottom end just supports it...

I am putting rev up cams in the engine... along with the beefed up valvetrain... to make it moar reliable and powerful.

I have an ecu going to nistune. Calm your ****. No I will not do e85 because I DONT ******* wanna.

Phew... rant over.

Also... worth pointing out... you realize that my engine has like 30k miles on it right? Its not exactly your typical dogged out vq30de with 170k on the clock but "still runs fine"...

also worth pointing out... since the motor is old, I have broken it down to the block and replaced all the gaskets, and done all the maintenance just because of time passage... so uh... shouldnt pop the block.

love your face crusher... you say some silly sh*t sometimes.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
holy cow this is crazy, but man im waiting till the day you drive that thing! you are insane, but heck props to you for doing this. still waiting for the final result.
so what you are saying is that I am not a genius... just insane...

I guess that was one of the options...

I want to prove that even now in 2016 an a32 chassis is a serious contender for budget power builds.

I am 7200 in with the price of the car included.

I have purchased everything I think I will need except maybe some cables to tune my nistune...

I will have when I am done:

A 6spd Turbo 400+ whp 4 door sedan with a bbk, suspension, wheels, a new engine, transmission, axles, complete custom exhaust, interior swap, carbon fiber grill, rear wing, retrofitted headlights, custom lip kit, and launch control.

Name another platform that can tick all those boxes for the money I spent...

don't worry I'll wait.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by litch
hi crusher... couple things...

read my first either i am completely insane or completely genius post for brakes and suspension. Its all done. from red poly bushings, to progress anti sway bars... strut tower bars... its all done...

head float is a big deal... ask streets, vipervadim...etc... gonna do the headstuds.

are you suggesting that a higher capacity oil pump on an engine that WILL be revving higher and faster than normal (because dek) is a bad idea? There are guys around who are outrunning their oil pumps all day... like 3 blocks in a year but cant figure out that they need the rev up stuff.

You do realize that the top end of the motor is what makes the power right? The bottom end just supports it...

I am putting rev up cams in the engine... along with the beefed up valvetrain... to make it moar reliable and powerful.

I have an ecu going to nistune. Calm your ****. No I will not do e85 because I DONT ******* wanna.

Phew... rant over.

Also... worth pointing out... you realize that my engine has like 30k miles on it right? Its not exactly your typical dogged out vq30de with 170k on the clock but "still runs fine"...

also worth pointing out... since the motor is old, I have broken it down to the block and replaced all the gaskets, and done all the maintenance just because of time passage... so uh... shouldnt pop the block.

love your face crusher... you say some silly sh*t sometimes.

Im not saying that head lift is not a problem by all means yes please do some ARP headstuds. But Valve float it rarely if ever happens on a VQ, we just do not rev high enough to have that issue.

What about lower tie bars, Fender bracing, Subframe connectors? 4th gen has a noodle chassis, so supporting it will help it at least try and put down the power.

But things like Valve springs and retainers, oil pump not really necessary they are nice, but that unless you are revving past 7500 you do not need them. only other real reason is some cams that have over 11mm of lift will you need uprated valve springs. The Revup oil pump moves the same amount of oil as your stock oil pump it can just take high RPM punishment. But the stocker has absolutely no problem up to 7500. So it might be a waste of your time and money. I mean seriously search on google for a VQ30/35 with a failed oil pump it almost doesn't exist.

The VQ30DET has stronger rods, crank, and pistons than the NA VQ30DE, im not saying replace them because your components are old, the DET is stronger period. Also the lower compression pistons would be of great benefit for those high boost situations where you will start to see the 500whp range. The DET stock block is good until the neighborhood of 700whp, the only real difference between the DE and DET is the rotating assembly and Intake Manifold.

Nistune allows for flex fuel so its not JUST E85, when ever you find and E85 pump pop it in and Nistune takes care of the rest if not just fill up with that super unleaded. they have added a flex fuel sensor which measures the ethanol content and makes fuel adjustments based on its findings. No fuss, no bs.

Love you litchy-poo. But if big black ever runs into you on these skreetz Imma kick yo goddamn azz.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:51 PM

I will have when I am done:

A 6spd Turbo 400+ whp 4 door sedan with a bbk, suspension, wheels, a new engine, transmission, axles, complete custom exhaust, interior swap, carbon fiber grill, rear wing, retrofitted headlights, custom lip kit, and launch control.

Name another platform that can tick all those boxes for the money I spent...

don't worry I'll wait.

i have most of that stuff aside from the 6spd, i even have a suede headliner......

Money i have spent is definitely past 7.2k, its more than double.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM

Im not saying that head lift is not a problem by all means yes please do some ARP headstuds. But Valve float it rarely if ever happens on a VQ, we just do not rev high enough to have that issue.

What about lower tie bars, Fender bracing, Subframe connectors? 4th gen has a noodle chassis, so supporting it will help it at least try and put down the power.

But things like Valve springs and retainers, oil pump not really necessary they are nice, but that unless you are revving past 7500 you do not need them. only other real reason is some cams that have over 11mm of lift will you need uprated valve springs. The Revup oil pump moves the same amount of oil as your stock oil pump it can just take high RPM punishment. But the stocker has absolutely no problem up to 7500. So it might be a waste of your time and money. I mean seriously search on google for a VQ30/35 with a failed oil pump it almost doesn't exist.

The VQ30DET has stronger rods, crank, and pistons than the NA VQ30DE, im not saying replace them because your components are old, the DET is stronger period. Also the lower compression pistons would be of great benefit for those high boost situations where you will start to see the 500whp range. The DET stock block is good until the neighborhood of 700whp, the only real difference between the DE and DET is the rotating assembly and Intake Manifold.

Nistune allows for flex fuel so its not JUST E85, when ever you find and E85 pump pop it in and Nistune takes care of the rest if not just fill up with that super unleaded. they have added a flex fuel sensor which measures the ethanol content and makes fuel adjustments based on its findings. No fuss, no bs.

Love you litchy-poo. But if big black ever runs on these skreetz Imma kick yo goddamn azz.
*fixed for you.

That is a big "if."

And... no you won't...
Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM

i have most of that stuff aside from the 6spd, i even have a suede headliner......

Money i have spent is definitely past 7.2k, its more than double.

That 6spd plus nistune w/ launch control is going to be the icing on the gattdam cake man.

and I also havent blown up my car... 5 times.. 6? where we at on the body count crushnuts?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Old 06-21-2016, 12:59 PM

wiz.

I'm just in here ruining crushnuts.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:01 PM

lmaooo....

where is motm when you need it...

like... oh wait... we stopped that crap like 4 years ago...

Old 06-21-2016, 01:01 PM

*fixed for you.

That is a big "if."

And... no you won't...
Yes i will.

it still is an if though

That 6spd plus nistune w/ launch control is going to be the icing on the gattdam cake man.

and I also havent blown up my car... 5 times.. 6? where we at on the body count crushnuts?
Nistune is not supporting Launch control on our platform, Matt said he is not selling enough of our ECUs to warrant adding it to the A32 So you would have to do something like a Bee*r limiter or something of that nature.

I only blew 2 motors . But one of them wasn't my fault. Those sh1tty cam spacers, for the love of god DRILL YOUR CAMS. or be prepared to pull pieces of your valves our of your turbo.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:05 PM

Yes i will.

it still is an if though

Nistune is not supporting Launch control on our platform, Matt said he is not selling enough of our ECUs to warrant adding it to the A32 So you would have to do something like a Bee*r limiter or something of that nature.

I only blew 2 motors . But one of them wasn't my fault. Those sh1tty cam spacers, for the love of god DRILL YOUR CAMS. or be prepared to pull pieces of your valves our of your turbo.

Really?

Are you so sure? Did you know he already has? And that for some dollars you can get it too?

say my name 3 times in a row and I will even link you to a video of someone who has it.

Also, fun fact JWT also has launch control for our cars, so even someone (like me) who has a jwt ecu can get it as well...

+2 for litch.

WHatchu talkin about cam spacers? Did you mess around and buy some washers and punch holes in em?

again you dont know vipervadim but man is making mine from JWT spacers. Its gonna be alright man.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM

I had stephenmax spacers. They broke in spectacular fashion.

And show me somebody who has launch control using Nistune. Remember you can still run an emanage+nistune and use launch control on the emanage.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:11 PM

I had stephenmax spacers. They broke in spectacular fashion.

And show me somebody who has launch control using Nistune. Remember you can still run an emanage+nistune and use launch control on the emanage.

Ah I see.

and to quote my dear friend dennis nedry from Jurassic Park....

"Uh uh uh... you didn't say the magic words"

My name. 3 times. Then I will link you to the video.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:15 PM

Ah I see.

and to quote my dear friend dennis nedry from Jurassic Park....

"Uh uh uh... you didn't say the magic words"

My name. 3 times. Then I will link you to the video.

B1tch made, B1tch made, B1tch made. Now where is the video?
Old 06-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Because i am Da winnarz.

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.p...p=23313#p23313

So unless something changed with in the past couple of months, we do not have launch control through Nistune. Matt said he was having problems with the OBD2 boards, and since its mainly us maxima folks that need the OBD2 boards to be cracked.....
Old 06-21-2016, 01:21 PM

Go check my facebook. Right now.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:22 PM

and you best be saying my name on my wall. Full mufikkun name. Go ahead and pop a "sir" in there too...

Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM

:j ump:you =
Old 06-21-2016, 01:30 PM

AS i said the change just happened a few months ago, still winning.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:31 PM

and you best be saying my name on my wall. Full mufikkun name. Go ahead and pop a "sir" in there too...

You'll get your "sir"s added, you just wait.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 PM

AS i said the change just happened a few months ago, still winning.

you're the only person I know who can admit to being wrong but still claim to be winning...

doesn't matter. Now you know and that is half the battle...

the other half is you getting a car to run...

and you're forever losing that half bro.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 PM

you're the only person I know who can admit to being wrong but still claim to be winning...

doesn't matter. Now you know and that is half the battle...

the other half is you getting a car to run...

and you're forever losing that half bro.
Because i am da winningz.

Big black runs btw its just not tuned. Sensitive *** Nistune needs a special chipset for the Serial-to-USB adapter so it can read the wideband, should be here sometime this week. Then i can get to bidnezz, get that baseline down
Old 06-21-2016, 01:40 PM

#inforpics.

And I bet I get a baseline dyno before you do.

cause I actually get things done... lol
Old 06-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

haahaaa...you guys are LOL.
i got a baseline dyno run on the turd before krusher.

BTW...i can get launch control on the type 1 board. yay for old kars.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
haahaaa...you guys are LOL.
i got a baseline dyno run on the turd before krusher.

BTW...i can get launch control on the type 1 board. yay for old kars.
Man you're gonna mess around and make me want one of them...

Totally kidding I'm 4th gen for life.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Man you're gonna mess around and make me want one of them...

Totally kidding I'm 4th gen for life.
finding a clean used turd gen is like seeing big foot or finding a unicorn.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:17 AM

#inforpics.

And I bet I get a baseline dyno before you do.

cause I actually get things done... lol
You probably will. That's not to say i wont be driving about though. Just wont know how much power im making exactly.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
finding a clean used turd gen is like seeing big foot or finding a unicorn.
I've been in here messing with Bigfoots African cousin for a while... .... it's prolly not impossible... but realistically if I decided on a box body 4dsc I would go cressida... because rwd...

(ya'll b*tches...)

Last edited by litch; 06-22-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I've been in here messing with Bigfoots African cousin for a while... .... it's prolly not impossible... but realistically if I decided on a box body 4dsc I would go credenza... because rwd...
cressida? like toyota cressida?
a credenza is more of a piece of furniture.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 AM

Credenza?

Or

I'm trying to figure out which of these is RWD? I think the ikea one is FWD, its that new fangled witchcraft.....

Quick Reply: Either I am completely insane or completely genius (Part 2)