4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Max SE A/T Rear Axle assembly rusted and rotted

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 PM

99 Max SE A/T Rear Axle assembly rusted and rotted

Yeah, I live on Long Island, so between the ocean breezes and Winter snow road salt, it's clunking and rotted where the bolts tie to the Lateral Link and Control Rod.

I already have a new Lateral Link and Control Rod. Now I need a Rear Axle Assembly. I believe the Nissan Part Number is: 555012L702

Looks like an Infinity Dealer in NC can ship one for about $650 new.

What have you other forum members done when at this fork in the road? Did you re-fabricate your old one or buy used or new? Paint?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:58 PM
JvG

You could buy a used one from a southern or western car, then have it shipped to you. No rust issues. Lkq comes to mind
Old 07-24-2016, 07:28 AM

I have one in very good condition come take a look at it, cars mileage is 96k, I'm in fresh Meadows Queens
Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Yeah, I live on Long Island, so between the ocean breezes and Winter snow road salt, it's clunking and rotted where the bolts tie to the Lateral Link and Control Rod.

I already have a new Lateral Link and Control Rod. Now I need a Rear Axle Assembly. I believe the Nissan Part Number is: 555012L702

Looks like an Infinity Dealer in NC can ship one for about $650 new.

What have you other forum members done when at this fork in the road? Did you re-fabricate your old one or buy used or new? Paint?

Thanks in advance!
Got info on the dealership?? Was looking for a new one 2 years ago but every Nissan dealership in the country had zero in stock. Had two people from two separate dealerships confirm this for me.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 AM

I searched 3 different JYs before I found one in good condition. The 1999 maxima I took it off had less than 100,000 miles with a blown engine.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...sion-beam.html
Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by nismomaxgtr18
Got info on the dealership?? Was looking for a new one 2 years ago but every Nissan dealership in the country had zero in stock. Had two people from two separate dealerships confirm this for me.
orderinfinityparts.com has it listed on their website. And then I read your post. So I called Infinity of Charlotte today (dealer behind the website) and he checked and you are right, NOT available.

OUCH! I'm sorry I was part of the bad information chain!

Thanks for clearing that up! Off to the "Used" market.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM

All I can say is THANK YOU again jholley! This really helps with all concerns!!!

Originally Posted by jholley
I searched 3 different JYs before I found one in good condition. The 1999 maxima I took it off had less than 100,000 miles with a blown engine.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...sion-beam.html
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
I have one in very good condition come take a look at it, cars mileage is 96k, I'm in fresh Meadows Queens
AWOL after multiple attempts.

I'll find someone serious!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:04 PM

How to work on Rear Axle Beam in Driveway??

Hi Gang.

Time to evaluate my Rear Axle Beam to see if it is still safe and if the TA bushings have failed, but definitely have to replace the Lateral Link and Control Rod (Bushings shot).

Only option is in the driveway.

So, obviously put the car in Park and pressure chock both sides of the front wheels.

Then I see others who have the back of the car up on Axle Stands. Where is the best/safest place to put them and where exactly do I lift the car using a floor jack to get it high enough to place the Jack Stands?

Not happy about working alone like this, so anything that will help make it safer and be effective would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:27 PM

I would jack the car up at the same location you would if you had a flat and then put the jack stand next to the jack.

I'm curious if you'll have issues replacing some of these bushings with an unspring suspension, hopefully other will chime in.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 AM

Raise the max evenly on 4 jack stands. To replace the lateral link and control rod you need good clearance under the TB (torsion beam). You'll need to drop the wheels and remove the rear shocks off the beam. After that you need to raise the beam higher up with the jack to remove the link and rod.

Raise the rear section with a jack under the TB as you've seen in this photo. I use 2"x4" wood for cushioning with the raising jack to avoid scratching my refurbished TB.

To find where to place the jack stands underneath search this forum with "jack locations". You'll find a nice diagram.

After all new suspension parts and shocks are tightened onto the TB throw the wheels back on then reverse it onto ramps. Raise the front end on jack stands to get the max level. Now fully tighten TB parts to torque spec. You'll find those specs in my previous thread.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:56 PM

Raise the max evenly on 4 jack stands. To replace the lateral link and control rod you need good clearance under the TB (torsion beam). You'll need to drop the wheels and remove the rear shocks off the beam. After that you need to raise the beam higher up with the jack to remove the link and rod.

Raise the rear section with a jack under the TB as you've seen in this photo. I use 2"x4" wood for cushioning with the raising jack to avoid scratching my refurbished TB.

To find where to place the jack stands underneath search this forum with "jack locations". You'll find a nice diagram.

After all new suspension parts and shocks are tightened onto the TB throw the wheels back on then reverse it onto ramps. Raise the front end on jack stands to get the max level. Now fully tighten TB parts to torque spec. You'll find those specs in my previous thread.
Thanks for the write up. I'll be replacing the lateral link and control rod this weekend. Is there a certain order i need to follow when removing and tightening the nuts/bolts on the lateral link/control rod and chassis? May be obvious once I get started. Just want to make sure I am clear on everything. Also, is there an adjustment for centering or balancing the link/beam or is this what is accomplished when raising beam horizontal to link before tightening? I noticed this was discussed in your previous thread.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kingw323
Thanks for the write up. I'll be replacing the lateral link and control rod this weekend. Is there a certain order i need to follow when removing and tightening the nuts/bolts on the lateral link/control rod and chassis? May be obvious once I get started. Just want to make sure I am clear on everything. Also, is there an adjustment for centering or balancing the link/beam or is this what is accomplished when raising beam horizontal to link before tightening? I noticed this was discussed in your previous thread.
I cannot state for certain but after reading the Rear Axle FSM again it appears only the trailing arm bushings need to be tightened using the full rebound of the shocks? As seen in my thread I tightened the lateral link and control rod to full spec by raising the beam horizontally as high as possible. After throwing on the shocks, wheels, then reversing onto ramps I fully tightened the trailing arm polyurethane bushings.

Download this manual for your 1999

http://www.boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1999/RA.pdf
Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 AM

I cannot state for certain but after reading the Rear Axle FSM again it appears only the trailing arm bushings need to be tightened using the full rebound of the shocks? As seen in my thread I tightened the lateral link and control rod to full spec by raising the beam horizontally as high as possible. After throwing on the shocks, wheels, then reversing onto ramps I fully tightened the trailing arm polyurethane bushings.

Download this manual for your 1999

http://www.boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1999/RA.pdf
I read through the FSM again. A little confused why it states that final tightening of rubber parts must be done with wheels on the ground, which is how I've always done things. However it also states to place lateral link and control rod horizontally against beam and tighten to specified torque and then reinstall beam. It also states, like you mentioned, to tighten beam at trailing arm bushings at full rebound condition (wheels hanging?). I will not be removing beam but this seems like conflicting info.

Last edited by kingw323; 08-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by kingw323
I read through the FSM again. A little confused why it states that final tightening of rubber parts must be done with wheels on the ground, which is how I've always done things. However it also states to place lateral link and control rod horizontally against beam and tighten to specified torque and then reinstall beam. It also states, like you mentioned, to tighten beam at trailing arm bushings at full rebound condition (wheels hanging?). I will not be removing beam but this seems like conflicting info.
Step 1 states Temporarily attach torsion beam to vehicle. The diagram in step 1 is referring to bolting up only the trailing arms.

Step 2 states Place lateral link and control rod horizontally against torsion beam. Tighten up lateral link on vehicle. They're not saying temporarily tighten so that indicates full torque spec.

Step 4 states Tighten torsion beam in full rebound condition at the place indicated in Step 1.

I conclude they're indicating only the trailing arm bushings need full rebound when tightening?

Last edited by jholley; 08-19-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Thank you again jholley for sharing the details and clarity and where to find all the questionable info! I am dragging my heels on getting this done. I HATE the idea of the car on 4 jack stands! Especially with me under it and cranking on Nuts and Bolts.

I'm going have to suck it up and get it done before I also have to deal with Winter!

"full rebound" is a bit ambiguous. Is that the car sitting on its own weight?

And thanks kingw323 for asking some great questions!

It's people like you that make this one of the best resources ever for those of us who need to do it ourselves!

Last edited by KP11520; 08-29-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Thank you again jholley for sharing the details and clarity and where to find all the questionable info! I am dragging my heels on getting this done. I HATE the idea of the car on 4 jack stands! Especially with me under it and cranking on Nuts and Bolts.

I'm going have to suck it up and get it done before I also have to deal with Winter!

"full rebound" is a bit ambiguous. Is that the car sitting on its own weight?

And thanks kingw323 for asking some great questions!

It's people like you that make this one of the best resources ever for those of us who need to do it ourselves!
Full rebound is when shocks are mounted to the rear beam and the wheels are on the ground. To get clearance with the wheels grounded I reverse the rear end onto ramps and raise the front end onto jack stands.

Tightening most rubber bushings requires full rebound. The only exception appears to be the lateral link and control rod?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM

Got my lateral link and control rod replaced last weekend. Went pretty smoothly without issue other than the fact that it didn't fix my clunk/rattle.

It is a bit confusing how the FSM words things. It says to tighten all rubber parts under "unladen conditions with wheels on the ground". But then specifies to tighten trailing arm to vehicle "in full rebound condition" which sounds like an exception to the previous instructions.

After doing a Google search of "full rebound" I found this site:

http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/terminology

which states the following:

Full Rebound, Full Droop: The suspension is completely unloaded. Example: When the vehicle is on a lift and the tires and wheels are hanging in the air.

Full Jounce, Full Compression: The suspension is completely loaded. The springs and bumpstops are totally compressed.

Loaded Height: Or INSTALLED HEIGHT, is the length of the spring compressed under the load of the vehicle weight, when the vehicle is at rest on level ground. Also may be referred to as STATIC HEIGHT.

I didn't completely remove the beam so I didn't have to worry about how to torque trailing arms to vehicle.

What I did was:

1) Torqued the lateral link and control rod to the beam (horizontally)

2) Jacked up the beam, temporarily tightened lateral link to chassis

3) Torqued lower strut mounting bolts

4) Put wheels back on

5) Lowered rear end onto ramps, and torqued lateral link to chassis.

As for my clunking and rattling noise...the journey continues.

Hope this is accurate and helpful. Didn't mean to ramble.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:41 AM

Thanks again gentlemen!

kingw323, I too am on the elusive rattle and clank hunt! Back up to the front again!