4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Service Engine Soon light not going on!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Service Engine Soon light not going on!

I have the opposite problem of most at the moment....

I have a 96 Infiniti I30 with 246K on it. About 4 weeks ago I had to swap out the evaporator which sits on the top of the engine. Once I did this, I took the car down to the shop just to get the codes cleared. They reset them for me and the Service Engine Soon light has stayed out.

I took it in for a smog today and while it passed, they said that they couldn't give me a cert since the Service Engine Soon light on the dash does not work, and does not come on when you turn the ignition switch to 'on'. The tech thought that the bulb was burned out.

So, I tore apart the dash this evening and pulled out the instrument cluster so I could replace the bulb. Before heading to the auto parts store, I simply swapped a couple of different working bulbs with the Service Engine Soon bulb. All the bulbs seem to work, but I can't get my Service Engine Soon light to come on pre-ignition, which is what it is supposed to do prior to starting the car. I checked all of the fused that I thought might be part of this, but they were all fine.

Any suggestions on this mystery?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 AM

IIRC the ses light only stays on momentarily when you turn the car to on/start, assuming you have no faults. Mine comes and goes pretty quick when I start it up.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM

You are going to have to do some troubleshooting. The problem could be any one or combination of the following 3 parts - instrument cluster, the ECM, the wiring harness under the dash. To just replace parts will be VERRRYYY expensive.

You will need to know how to do electrical troubleshooting and use a multimeter (volt meter) and have the FSM (service manual).

You can download the service manual here -
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I30/1996/

Remove the instrument cluster and lay it face down on the steering column. Lay a towel on the steering column so you don't scratch the face of the instrument. Leave the cables plugged into the instrument cluster.

In section EL (electrical) (http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I30/1996/EL.pdf), go to page 78 for the instrument cluster.

Pin 46 in the connector is for the SES light. When the light is supposed to on, this pin will be zero volts (or very close). So connect voltmeter to pin 46 and turn the key on. Pin 46 should be zero volts for 2 or 3 seconds, meaning the light bulb should be illuminated. When the light should be off, pin 46 will have a voltage reading on it, maybe as high as 12 volts (it varies).

If the light is supposed on and you do not read zero volts on pin 46, you do not have an instrument cluster problem. The next step is to go check at the ECM.

If the light is supposed off and you do not have some voltage on pin 46, then you have an instrument cluster problem.

Because it will be a lot of typing for me, I am not to to cover every possibility right not. Find out which of the 2 above situations you have and we will go from there.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd submitted a reply to this post. They system said it would be posted once it was reviewed. I would have assumed it would have been posted days ago. Can you give me an update, of do I need to repost?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:51 PM

Repost the reply. I get that from time to time and have learned to repost.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by pwittenb
I have the opposite problem of most at the moment....

I have a 96 Infiniti I30 with 246K on it. About 4 weeks ago I had to swap out the evaporator which sits on the top of the engine. Once I did this, I took the car down to the shop just to get the codes cleared. They reset them for me and the Service Engine Soon light has stayed out.

I took it in for a smog today and while it passed, they said that they couldn't give me a cert since the Service Engine Soon light on the dash does not work, and does not come on when you turn the ignition switch to 'on'. The tech thought that the bulb was burned out.

So, I tore apart the dash this evening and pulled out the instrument cluster so I could replace the bulb. Before heading to the auto parts store, I simply swapped a couple of different working bulbs with the Service Engine Soon bulb. All the bulbs seem to work, but I can't get my Service Engine Soon light to come on pre-ignition, which is what it is supposed to do prior to starting the car. I checked all of the fused that I thought might be part of this, but they were all fine.

Any suggestions on this mystery?
How did they clear the codes? Usually with a scanner, but with ours it can be reset with the diagnostic screw next to accelerator behind the plastic plate. I noticed if you fully turn the screw clockwise and leave it, the CEL wont post. Other than that, check the harness and wiring.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First off – Thanks you DennisMik for the explanation. I’d written up a long response that seems to have been lost somewhere. The link that you provided to the manual was great as I spent a couple of hours looking for a manual online with no success.

I pulled everything apart in the dash and determined that it wasn’t the bulb or the cluster itself, but the wire coming from the ECM. It didn’t seem to be completing the circuit with the key to ACC, so the light never went on.

While I’d be curious as to what the issue might be with the ECM, I’ve gotten around the problem in order to get smogged. The car didn’t throw any codes, so the car is good. The only issue was the light. I have 247k miles on the car with the hopes of getting to 250k. I bought the car brand new in 1995, never expecting to have it this long, but it has been a great car with just about zero issues.

Martyl45 – no codes to be cleared. As I said, I have the opposite problem. I can’t get the light to come on.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by pwittenb
It didn’t seem to be completing the circuit with the key to ACC, so the light never went on.
I don't know if this is a typo or what, but the lamps do not illuminate in the ACC position. The key has to be in the ON position.

But if you figured out a work-around so you can pass the smogged, excellent.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Correct, ON Position. Not a typing error, mental error.

Thanks again.