4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 max. brake pedal "sometimes" goes almost to floor to stop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 max. brake pedal "sometimes" goes almost to floor to stop.

95' Maxima, auto trans:

This problem started a few weeks ago and used to happen around once every 3 days or so, the brake pedal would suddenly need to be pressed further down to stop the car, almost to the floor, its like the pedal becomes much easier to press down and wont slow the car until it gets almost to the floor when it finally gets harder to press. Then the next time I brake the pedal would act normal.

Now its happening every day. Driving the car is frustrating because I never know if its going to brake normally or if the pedal will drop down 3 extra inches. After it happens, if I pump the brakes a few times then it seems normal.

Brake fluid level seems fine. I added a little just to get it closer to the Max line, but no change.

I cant do major repairs here in the appt. I live in due to carport rules (like removing wheels) so if its not something I can fix under the hood (or very quickly) then I will have to take it to a shop.

thx for any advice you can give.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

air in the brake line usually will cause this type of problem. Try bleeding your brake to get the air out of your brake system. If that doesn't work, then it could be your master cylinder going out.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok cool.. I just have to figure out if bleeding is something easy I can do here.. I imagine there is some kind of valve I can open behind each wheel, pump the brakes to get the air out, then add more brake fluid then close the valves... something like that?

I can change a starter or spark plugs.. even took apart a Holley Carb once to fix a problem.. but I don't know much about how brakes work and master cylinders and bleeding and such..

My GF says "oh lets just fix it later if it gets worse" i should prolly see if the emergency brake works properly...
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 PM
JvG

I have experienced this on other cars.

Your master cylinder is worn out.

You need to replace it, NOW.

bleeding will not help.

You will have an accident if you wait till it gets worse.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:50 PM

And if you do end up bleeding the brakes (which you'd have to do after replacing the master cylinder anyway), make sure you understand the process. You have to press the brake pedal, then CLOSE the bleeder screw before letting the pedal up. Otherwise you'll suck air back into the system when the pedal comes up. That's why you need either a helper, or a specialized brake bleeder (or you can set it up so that the bleeder hose stays immersed in brake fluid, which has always seemed like a PITA to me).
Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM

dont listen to your gf, typical girl who usually doesn't do anything until the problem gets really bad, If u do that, you could end up in a accident and have a trip to the hospital. Fix it now. Brakes are important.