5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gear Slipping on 2K Maxima-Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 01:54 PM

On my 2K Maxima I bought back in July of 1999 I noticed that when I drive the car hard, about 110mph for an hour and a half to two hours, the car will shift itself out of overdrive and it won't re-engage unless I stop the car and rest her for a bit. I can still drive on it, but at the speeds I'm going, the RPMs will shoot up to 6000 at least, and from 1000RPMs to about 4000RPMs the gears don't engage. I don't know if I'm describing this technically sorry I'm not so good with that. If anybody has had similar problems, email me...I want to get her fixed before I hit the warranty mark, and I don't have too much time left. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2000, 02:06 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

its overheated..

check your owners manual, it describes what your tranny is doing. normally, alot of slip on the ice will cause that.
Old 08-29-2000, 02:09 PM

btw, I cant wait to hear what the dealer says

when you tell him you cant drive over 2 hours at 110+.

In retrospect, I guess you could be seeing slippage from the TCM problem. You certainly need to have that looked at anyway. the tranny may be sensing the slip from that and thinking its tire slip (not overheating as I just posted)
Old 08-29-2000, 02:28 PM

where the hell do u live

where do u live that u can drive like that for 1.5 to 2 hours yo
i hit 90 once for like 30 seconds. then i obeyed the 55speed limit

Roger
Old 08-29-2000, 03:28 PM

I live in Los Angeles, and I usually drive up to 85 or so on the freeway and any speed is fair game for surface streets as long as I can control it. I've had the car going up to 130 when I've driven to either San Diego, Las Vegas or some other place like that ...and yes, the dealer looked a little shocked when I told him I'd been going 110+, but I told him..."if you didn't want me driving fast, you shouldn't have built the car to go up to 160..."what can I say, I like to drive fast but in control...slow is boring...

[Edited by ahito on 08-29-2000 at 05:32 PM]

Old 08-29-2000, 06:35 PM
MaxRX7

Originally posted by ahito
I live in Los Angeles, and I usually drive up to 85 or so on the freeway and any speed is fair game for surface streets as long as I can control it. I've had the car going up to 130 when I've driven to either San Diego, Las Vegas or some other place like that ...and yes, the dealer looked a little shocked when I told him I'd been going 110+, but I told him..."if you didn't want me driving fast, you shouldn't have built the car to go up to 160..."what can I say, I like to drive fast but in control...slow is boring...

[Edited by ahito on 08-29-2000 at 05:32 PM]
FINALLY, someone that understands. I love to go 100+mph, but am limited to traffic. Now, just a place to go at that speed longer than 5 minutes .

Old 08-29-2000, 07:26 PM

I got that out of my system...

you only have to leave the interstate at 100+ one time to get that out of your system. I wasnt driving, and the driver was a complete idiot. Came up on two cars in the fast and slow lane going the same speed, so they *tried* to pass on the shoulder... at 140. The driver slowed to about 110, knowing something bad was about to happen, when all control was lost. We left the road, hit the ditch and flew farther than I can remember. Snapped about 10 small (very small) trees, which slowed us and saved our lives. Obviously the car was a total loss.

You know that floaty feeling you get over 100. that feeling that tells you that your car wasnt made to go that fast (aerodynamically)? well thats the feeling I dont miss... but I still like to drive really fast. I like driving over 100 even, but not in a Maxima and not on any roads around here. Even in the desert I would be afraid of hitting an armadillo (which did $6000 damage to a friends 911 @ 90mph). I'm not preachin here, but the awesome physics that take over at that velocity should be respected. obviously if you do hours of 100+ on roads where that is accepted, then thats a pretty big exception to the rules. Most people just have no business at those speeds... I say most.

enjoy the ride... carefully.

[Edited by TimW on 08-29-2000 at 10:27 PM]
Old 08-29-2000, 08:04 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: I got that out of my system...

Originally posted by TimW
Even in the desert I would be afraid of hitting an armadillo (which did $6000 damage to a friends 911 @ 90mph).
ROTFL!!! Never heard that before!
Old 08-30-2000, 06:49 AM

Re: I got that out of my system...

You know that floaty feeling you get over 100. that feeling that tells you that your car wasnt made to go that fast (aerodynamically)?
[Edited by TimW on 08-29-2000 at 10:27 PM] [/I][/QUOTE]
No man, thats not b/c your car wasn't meant to go that fast.. thats from U KNOW YOUR *** IS GOING TO JAIL IF A COP PULLS U OVER AT THIS SPEED, HE WON'T WASTE HIS INK WRITEING A TICKET, HE'll STRAP THEM CUFFZ ON AND TAKE U IN. I took my car up to 140 on I-85 comeing from atlanta, the car was flawless, in a streight line, I don't think U can take a 300zx and throw it into a tight turn at 140. as far as the original post where the tranny acts up after driveing 2hours. Have the dealer check out your TCM. too meny problems with those... I think the dealer is aware of that. the new maximas are comeing out with 19-26 on the gas milage so something has changed.. talk to the dealer.
Old 08-30-2000, 06:53 AM

ahito

ehhhh that exact problem happenned to me. scare the crap outa me. but i wasn't going that fast i think. how could it over heat rite?? it's a new car. all i gotta say about that is tamade. (mandarine) i told the dealer and they said it coulda been a number of reasons. but it never happened to me ever since. this was the trip i took down to LA from the bay when i hit up the downhills. but i drove down before and after, no problem then.. wierd.. i bet it's the tcm. but just to be safe i also want the tranny oil cooler
Old 08-30-2000, 07:40 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: ahito

Originally posted by mingo
ehhhh that exact problem happenned to me. scare the crap outa me. but i wasn't going that fast i think. how could it over heat rite?? it's a new car. all i gotta say about that is tamade. (mandarine) i told the dealer and they said it coulda been a number of reasons. but it never happened to me ever since. this was the trip i took down to LA from the bay when i hit up the downhills. but i drove down before and after, no problem then.. wierd.. i bet it's the tcm. but just to be safe i also want the tranny oil cooler
I've driven down to LA with no probs, but this was with the VB and cooler (if that makes a difference). Guess it's a random (semi-high speed thing). Jane went blasting up the hill with the SC...
Old 08-30-2000, 10:07 AM

Re: ahito

Although it sucks to have this kind of problem on a brand new car, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one out there. Hopefully I can get my TCM swapped out along with maybe my tranny oil cooler, but I'm having mad problems trying to have Nissan swap out the TCM. Nissan's service is so bad. Especially in SoCal. I think I went to every dealer in the LA county area, and each of them had crappy service. The one dealer I go to now has been better, but Nissan and their shady wording...Doesn't it make sense to get rid of the problem part seeing as how I bought my car in 99 instead of letting me drive with a faulty part? I love driving my Maxima and all, but it almost makes me wish I hadn't bought the car.

Old 08-30-2000, 10:21 AM

lemon

well here's a way to get the tCM along with a new car.. the lemon law is 3 reoccurances of the same problem while under warranty. so just unplug your airbag wirng harness above teh glove box. bring it in and repeat til u got the prob the third time and say "eh u know wut??" i think ijust got a lemon.. it's a long shot but might work.. i almost have a lemon.. hahaha but not on purpose. pulled my seats and interior out a few times for my stereo.. they'll replace the airbag control module.
Old 08-30-2000, 01:06 PM

Lemon

I checked up on lemon laws and supposedly I have to send a letter by USPS so I'm doing that tomorrow and if Nissan won't do jack about it...I'm getting a lawyer and getting myself a new car. We pay good money for these cars and for them to be jerking us around the way they are, saying they won't do preventive warranty work or work on unwitnessed problems is ridiculous, not to mention hazzardous to us since we drive the damned cars...

Old 08-31-2000, 03:20 AM

sounds like a plan

but don't the problem have to reoccur 3 times after fixing two times or something? i'm nottoo familiar with the lemon law, just heard of it.
Old 09-01-2000, 05:03 PM

Re: sounds like a plan

but don't the problem have to reoccur 3 times after fixing two times or something? i'm nottoo familiar with the lemon law, just heard of it.
I'm going based on this...The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially reduce the vehicle's use, value or safety to the consumer, and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle. Although running her at 110+ is kind of like abuse, the car goes to 160...and it happens at mid 80s too, so I think it's a "threat" to my life...=P That, and Nissan knows the first set of 2Ks have the tranny problem, but they're just being punks and trying to avoid fixing/swapping the part now versus later when I'm already out of warranty..I wouldn't even be trying so hard to get it fixed if I had more time left, but I drive 20,000+ miles a year so my warranty isn't going to last be much longer...

Old 09-02-2000, 04:50 AM

dayam my sig is huge...

i feel your pain man. i drive 23k a year. i'm almost outa warranty. debating whether i should extend it or not.. but if they have a recall, you can get your car fixed w/ or w/o the warranty. i think the TCM recall will come up reall soon.
Old 09-06-2000, 11:00 AM

I have spent the last few weeks trying to get Nissan Consumer Affairs to take care of my TCM and they have been ZERO help. They are good at giving the run around and jerking me around, but when you ask for REAL help, they are nowhere to be found. All you get are those telecomm people saying, "we can't do anything..." as far as they are concerned, because some tech guy can't "recreate" my problem, my file is closed. That pisses the hell out of me. I almost want my tranny to completely go while I'm driving and crash the damned car just to prove to them it was a faulty part.

Old 09-06-2000, 06:45 PM

Maybe I have aged a little bit, but....

a quote of "being in control at 100+ mph, and driving slow sucks"? or something to that effect. Its "logic" like this that gets people KILLED while driving. I've lost one friend to a traffic accident because of someone who shared that same ideal. My friend was rear ended by a maniac driver who was estimated to be driving at 120 mph. How did it happen you ask? My friend was pulling onto an interstate from an on ramp and some chump in their ride could not get out of the way. My friend died because his neck snapped from the impact. The headrest in his car was bent back, there was a dent on the roof from where his head hit it. These injuries were what killed him, not to mention the shattered ribs from the seat belt, which puntured his lungs. He left behind a wife of 3 years, and a daughter who was less than a year old, as well as many friends. The driver of the other car had 2 broken legs (one a compound fracture), a broken arm, and a few broken ribs. Because of his little joy ride, one person was dead, and he, being a ripe old age of 23 was sentenced with VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER, reckless driving, speeding, and if I remember correctly, assault with a deadly weapon. When he does get out of jail, guess what? HE CAN NO LONGER GET A DRIVERS LICENSE and he and his family were sued. My friend never saw it coming, and the other driver said my friends car appeared out of nowhere. GO ****ING FIGURE. In control my ***
I have ZERO respect for idiots on the road. I lost a very near and dear friend of mine who WILL NEVER EVER EVER live to see another day.
I may be new to this forum, and my post that just called reckless drivers "idiots" may not have won me any friends, but I hope it made you think. if not, watch out. joy rides end in horror when you least expect it.
Old 09-06-2000, 06:55 PM

you are correct about blasting thru

traffic at 100+. I think everyone left those comments alone because he was talking about driving in the desert at those speeds where its largely accepted or expected.

Dont worry about your comments offending anyone. Everybody generally jumps on comments like that. I also read it that way at first and had the same reaction.

Unfortunately theres no way to proactively get people off the road who drive like the moron you spoke of. they have to kill someone and ruin two lives and two families, theirs and their victim. lesson learned too late.

Sorry about your friend.
Old 09-06-2000, 07:02 PM

good point...

but it still caused me some bad memories. I'm not from the west coast, nor the desert, and other than a few country rural GA roads, i've lived where traffic is not the most pleasant thing to deal with.
Ahito, pardon my abruptness...I dont know you, but that comment just hit a bad part in my life. All I can ask, is just be careful. I'm not always a 55 mph in a 55mph zone driver, but my friend's death taught me a valuable lesson about the thrills of speeding. its not worth it.