4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trying out sensen quick struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:19 AM

Trying out sensen quick struts

It's about time to replace my old struts and decided to try out these quick struts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391046605614?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I couldn't find anyone that used sensen quick struts in the search function only the struts themselves. The low price of $127, free shipping and a lifetime warranty won my coin. They should arrive on the 27th. I will update this thread and report back with fitment, ride quality and mileage updates after installed.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 11-27-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for letting us know about these struts Bumpy.

I like to try new parts sources with a good price. I've actually been testing several alternative parts on Max III for over 2.5 years now.

While in some circles the parts I've been testing are considered "top shelf", I will report on how everything is working once I pass the 3-year mark in March of 2017. It's all good for the most part, I just want to be past the 3-year point before I make a recommendation.

I've read the Sensen struts have a feel that is somewhere between a Tokico blue and a Monroe SensaTrac (if that name is still in use). I actually installed Monroe SensaTrac front struts on Max I in 2010. They were ok and seemed to worked well with the SE springs on that car. Note that I used OEM strut mounts and bearings with those struts. I got wind that the guy who bought Max I recently traded it for a Tacoma and that the front struts were still good -- six years later.

Since you are purchasing rears, you don't have strut top mounts and bearings to worry about. The only issue I've seen with some front quick struts comes from issues with bearings and upper top mounts that don't seem to last. I think I used OEM bearings and top mounts when I installed the Tokico blues on the Max II back in late 2010. Those struts are still in great shape and I recently moved them to Max IV. Max III has H & R lowering springs with KYB orange adjustable, sway bars, poly bushings. It has a crisp ride that some people feel is too harsh. Part of that is the adjustment settings.

I think the secret to my strut installation successes comes from using top quality bearings and upper mounts. We tried some aftermarket top mounts on Max III when we installed the KYBs to save a few bucks. Unfortunately, the right upper mount came apart and it had to be replaced a few months later. We learned our lesson on that one.

What I see in the picture looks like a nicely put together strut package. I hope it works out. I expect I will need to replace the blues that I recently moved to Max IV in the next 2 to 3 years as they will be 8 to 9 years old then.

Keep us posted on the results.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Good luck! I am eager to see your results

Supposedly, the SenSen is basically a Chinese copy of KYB's shocks. SenSen is the OE supplier to many Chinese domestic market cars, including VW's sold in China.

Monroe has since replaced their Sensa-Trac line with the OESpectrum, which is much better.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:33 PM

I am currently running sense and defended them early on with high hopes that they would surprise me. They did not, just after 2 years three of them are leaking and bounce a bit. I would not run them, and I really don't know what brand to trust.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
I am currently running sense and defended them early on with high hopes that they would surprise me. They did not, just after 2 years three of them are leaking and bounce a bit. I would not run them, and I really don't know what brand to trust.
I don't plan on having the car for even all of next year so I'm honestly fine with that. I still need this thing to handle alright during that year though and figured for the price why not.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
I don't plan on having the car for even all of next year so I'm honestly fine with that. I still need this thing to handle alright during that year though and figured for the price why not.
They will ride real nice for a year or so. Mine felt great, very firm, just not long enough.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Replaced my rear struts on 11-20-16 and decided to stop being lazy and post pics.

Name:  w5OoymEt.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  5.9 KB

Packaging isn't bad.

Name:  JComGXim.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  vpuxwN3m.jpg
Size:  21.4 KB

Installation was easy peasy lemon squeezy

Name:  DiyHf6Xl.jpg
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  3855udSl.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB
Look at all dat rust

Name:  a15rA5Kl.jpg
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 02-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Name:  FitXm6Cl.jpg
Size:  59.2 KB

Old struts looked god awful

Name:  LIW3x0gl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  FVyjkzVl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  45.0 KB

I guess oem calls for Tokico struts. Either the previous owners liked oem parts or these struts are 20 years old
Old 02-15-2017, 03:54 PM

Right away after installation I noticed increased performance with braking, acceleration, and turning/steering but mainly acceleration and braking.

As of today on 2/15/17 after 3 months of use, there are no abnormal noises or clunks and never were to begin with. Installation took me 1hr30 min and that's only because i'm lazy. I have had no problems whatsoever with these quick struts so far. These struts are more on the stiffer side, but that's a good thing for myself as I am running monroe quick struts on the front end and they are way too soft.

I will not be able to give mileage updates as I recently purchased a 2012 b16 spec-v and am getting rid of the maxima.

For those with questions about fitment, firmness/softness, and immediate ride quality I hope this thread helps you out.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 PM

I would not use Sensen struts as the ones I used on my I30 came apart at the bottom of the strut where the welds broke loose from the shaft of the strut. Thus ruining my tires and had to purchase a new pair. So far Monroe quick struts are currently in my car and they have lasted for about a year now. Longer than Sensen.