4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECS questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ECS questions

I have a 1997 Maxima auotmatic and one day it died while driving. I have been trying to figure out what went bad.

The car cranks, but no hint of spark. I have shot some ether in it to see if it was a fuel issue, or spark. Nothing.

I have looked at the Crank/Cam sensors, and all seems fine there.

I do not believe the ECCS relay is closing. Pin 67 and 72 at the ECU show no voltage. The pin 24 shows voltage from the Ignition switch when key on. I have no check engine light at any time (car off with Key on no light). I have swapped it with the radiator fan relay but have the same results.

As I understand it the ECCS relay is closed by the ECU unit. Is there some other input to the ECU that would prevent it from energizing the ECCS Relay? Anr there other key pins to check? Am I correct to assume the ECCS relay should close when key is on, car not running? Can I jumper the relay circuit to see if the ECU gets power and is this a prudent step to take?

I feel I must be close to the failure, just cant put my finder on it.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 PM
JvG

Have you confirmed that the appropriate fuse is intact and has clean contacts?
Old 12-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have checked quite a few fuses, but the ECM does not seem to be a labeled fuse. I have no idea which one I need to check. I assume this is in the interior fuse panel on the driver side, correct? I have checked most, if not all of the 7.5 amp ones. I also probed the terminals of the ECCS relay socket, and have 12 volt positive on 2 terminals there. If the fuse was gone, there would be no voltage there correct?