4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hood Prop Rod Interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Hood Prop Rod Interchange?

I realize that this is likely quite inconsequential but I'm honestly tired of having to deal with old worn hood struts.

I realize that the install is a no-brainer.

I realize that the aftermarket struts come with a lifetime warranty.

I also know that every friggin time mine have failed I've received zero forewarning which typically results in a forceful whack to the head, some injured phalanges or, albeit temporary, a bout with ventricular fibrillation.

I also know that every friggin time mine fail I can never find my friggin receipt for the previous set and therefore end up paying once again.

So ... with all that in mind ... question:

Does anyone know of another vehicle whose hood prop rod will usefully retro-fit into the under-hood compartment of the 4th Gen?

Yes, I'm well aware of the "stick" technology but I'd honestly like something a bit more fitted and not out-of-place than an old broom handle or length of PVC.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 AM

I know what's you're asking for - but you should just buy OEM lifts instead.

I happen to have that info here:

Grubbs Infiniti online order
$212.02 + cost of new OEM ball studs (I wrote that $$ down on this forum just a little while ago - wasn't that much extra).

That's a lot of $$ - much more than the aftermarket lifts. And yes probably $$ more than parts scrounging from a car that has hinges alone (without lifts).

However after 5 years of service these OEM units are still 100%.

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I realize that this is likely quite inconsequential but I'm honestly tired of having to deal with old worn hood struts.

I realize that the install is a no-brainer.

I realize that the aftermarket struts come with a lifetime warranty.

I also know that every friggin time mine have failed I've received zero forewarning which typically results in a forceful whack to the head, some injured phalanges or, albeit temporary, a bout with ventricular fibrillation.

I also know that every friggin time mine fail I can never find my friggin receipt for the previous set and therefore end up paying once again.

So ... with all that in mind ... question:

Does anyone know of another vehicle whose hood prop rod will usefully retro-fit into the under-hood compartment of the 4th Gen?

Yes, I'm well aware of the "stick" technology but I'd honestly like something a bit more fitted and not out-of-place than an old broom handle or length of PVC.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:20 PM

A prop rod is not a bad idea. I just installed new Monroe hood shocks on the Maxima last weekend. At the same time I put new AC Delco hood shocks on the GTO. The AC Delcos feel much stronger than the Monroes. Makes me question how long these will last.

I'm planning a trip to the junkyard soon to pick up a few things for the Max. I might look around some other cars and see what prop rods are available.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 AM

i got something even better here turbo, i bought one of these years ago and haven't looked back. secures to the strut rod and doesn't move.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFT-SUPPORT...241060&vxp=mtr

Last edited by max ride 41; 01-26-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i got something even better here turbo, i bought one of these years ago and haven't looked back. secures to the strut rod and doesn't move.
Golly, I like that quite alot.

I think I'm ordering one.

Much obliged for the suggestion.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM

If you're going to go that route, there's always vise grips...
Old 01-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
If you're going to go that route, there's always vise grips...
With all due respect to those who use these ... personally, my fastidious and **** retentive psyche won't let me.

Last edited by Turbobink; 01-26-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 PM

My mechanic recommended the aftermarket brand Stabilus to me. They work very well so far. I know I installed some random Oreilly Auto Parts brand previously, but those only lasted a few months before no longer being able to hold the hood up.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:21 PM

I forgot about those. When I was little my mom had one like that on her '82 VW Rabbit to keep the rear hatch open. Worked great.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Administrator

That's cool and all, but a pair of vise grips will do the same thing.

EDIT: I see someone else said the same thing...
Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
That's cool and all, but a pair of vise grips will do the same thing.

EDIT: I see someone else said the same thing...
can we stop with the vice grip shyte? these wont unclamp making you kick the dog after the hood hits you and your screaming obscenities saying " why didn't i listen to max ride??!!!! dammit!!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
With all due respect to those who use these ... personally, my fastidious and **** retentive psyche won't let me.
and common sense
Old 01-26-2017, 08:38 PM

I bought "Strong Arms" from the place that sold and shipped them for the least around 3 1/2 years ago and they were very reasonable. (most likely Amazon) Flawless since. If they last 5 years, they've paid for themselves, but I suspect I'll be pleasantly surprised.

They still lift strong like when I first installed them.

Just a keeping it real post here. I hope you do what works best for you!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
I bought "Strong Arms" from the place that sold and shipped them for the least around 3 1/2 years ago and they were very reasonable. (most likely Amazon) Flawless since. If they last 5 years, they've paid for themselves, but I suspect I'll be pleasantly surprised.

They still lift strong like when I first installed them.

Just a keeping it real post here. I hope you do what works best for you!
got the same ones from advanced auto, maybe 3 years ago and still work about 65% of the time. why replace the struts easy as it is when you can get the handy dandy tool i linked? never replace struts again!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 AM

got the same ones from advanced auto, maybe 3 years ago and still work about 65% of the time. why replace the struts easy as it is when you can get the handy dandy tool i linked? never replace struts again!!!
Cause I'm stubborn really! I like when things work the way they are supposed to and especially when that way is easier overall.

And then there's another factor..... My wife. It's scary how clueless her mechanical aptitude is. One more step means never adding windshield washer fluid! Yes, even womenz should have to do that!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Cause I'm stubborn really! I like when things work the way they are supposed to and especially when that way is easier overall.
O - E - M

O - E - M

Is it expensive? Hell yes. Is it "worth it"? It has been for me. It sounds like it would be for you too.

I don't understand what the problem is.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by reallywildstuff
O - E - M

O - E - M

Is it expensive? Hell yes. Is it "worth it"? It has been for me. It sounds like it would be for you too.

I don't understand what the problem is.
The only problem is the one you are creating. I have had NO problem with the Strong Arm replacements and I'm not asking what I did wrong. You didn't hear me complain about them. In fact, I recommend them. So the "Problem" or the perception of one, is coming from you.

I'm getting tired of getting bent over price wise on all the OEM stuff that needs replacing in my 99 Maxima. The second 100K and now into the third, has been VERY painful and the car is degrading every year despite how much money I throw at it.

Look at JoshG's thread about his Oil Leak. That's why I'm not throwing money away. Houston is a different animal altogether! I wish my car looked like yours does underneath and everywhere else bad weather permeates into.

My foundation is eroding, while yours will probably go double. I can respect your position based on your conditions. Mine ain't anywhere near the same!

One size does NOT fit all!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:24 PM

I use Strong Arms as well. I think I've only had them for 3 or 4 years, but at the price that's pretty good life.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 AM

The only problem is the one you are creating. I have had NO problem with the Strong Arm replacements and I'm not asking what I did wrong. You didn't hear me complain about them. In fact, I recommend them. So the "Problem" or the perception of one, is coming from you.
I deserved this, as I had confused your posts with another. I apologize. I blame "lack of working iOS app".

I see that you are happy with the Strong Arms. If/when my OEMs fail (no reason to think that is forthcoming) I will acquire a pair of Strong Arms first and see how they do.

That's why I'm not throwing money away. Houston is a different animal altogether! I wish my car looked like yours does underneath and everywhere else bad weather permeates into.

My foundation is eroding, while yours will probably go double. I can respect your position based on your conditions. Mine ain't anywhere near the same!
You are right again - while I've owned several 1970s GM cars afflicted with various degrees of body rust, I do not have any experience owning a car that has totally succumbed to road salting/other cold weather ailments. Nothing is perfect down here on Planet Houston but its true that salted roads are not a problem we have to deal with.

It also follows that my comments re: high-quality parts are colored by my desire to "keep the car forever" as opposed to "drive the car until the core support and radiator falls out, then scrap it". The latter is never going to happen to me here.

Perhaps the spread between North and South (weather wise, and as it pertains to old cars) is the spread between lower-quality Nissan aftermarket parts and more expensive OEM?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM

Don't mind me...... I'm just battle scarred from living in NY all my life. And then add the snow and salt and it's over the top!

I wish I was in your shoes! I'd be thinking and doing exactly what you are/do. Cars are more expensive every year, and yes, they may have some cool new features, but overall, there's less many decades of use quality, IMO.

When you've got something you can go the distance with, it's worth going The Distance! Don't stop now!

AND you have all those Texas womenz! Now I'm really jealous!

I wish it was one size fits all. I could get all CS_AR on my car and it would be worth it. LOL I'm jealous of his ability and focus too! Never mind your better weather!

Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 AM

These are what I ordered:

Old 02-03-2017, 04:41 PM

You know they'll never fail!

Where do you store them? Any place safe under the hood?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 AM

Where do you store them? Any place safe under the hood?
My thoughts exactly.

I'll be looking for a good spot.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm a little disappointed.

Not in the quality or usability but ... color.

I ordered what I "thought" were red barrels (to kinda match my car), but what I received are blue.

I actually sat on these, unopened, whilst I did some researching in hopes that I could find some means of specifying a preferred color, but I'm not able to find a way or a number or a code to specify a color.

Apparently, you get what you get.

They're very nice, quite high quality IMO and aside from the color, I'm pleased.

Did I mention that a set of 2 of these is the same cost of a single (as in one) replacement strut?

Apologies for the glarish photos ... the car's sitting in the garage and it's backlit with a quite bright and sunny 76+* day here in the Tampa Bay Area.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Prop Rod Interchange?-photo4294967261.jpg   Hood Prop Rod Interchange?-photo21.jpg  

Last edited by Turbobink; 02-04-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:04 PM

should've bought the one i linked for you. much tighter grip and nicer handle to tighten with. i have a red one btw....
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM

I bet the weather is great in Tampa this time of year. The hood strut lock looks like a well made item. I don't see how it could wear out.