4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Ignition Switch for the 98 Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:23 PM

New Ignition Switch for the 98 Model

This afternoon I wanted to make a few additional mods to the 98 model while the weather is good. On my last trip to the salvage yard, I picked a turn signal and light switch from a 97 SE with fog lights. I also picked up the fog lights and mounting brackets, but one is cracked. The 98 GLE will be converted to have fog lights since the rest of the car has basically become a SE.

So this afternoon I installed the SE model turn signal and light switch from the salvage yard. While I had the steering column apart to change out the switch, I installed a new ignition switch. Because the old switch has over 240,000 miles, I thought it would be a good time to do some switch preventative maintenance. I bought the Intermotor switch quite a while ago from AdvanceAuto.com. I've kept it around for when a switch failed on either the 99 or 98 models. The old 98 model switch still worked. However, the new switch seems to be a little more direct. Not a huge difference but enough to notice an improvement. I plan keep the old switch as a spare in the event the 99 model has a sudden switch failure. The 99 model just turned 200,000 miles. So I doubt I will have a problem with it for a long time.

So here's a picture of the old and new switch below. Can you tell which switch is old vs. new?

Name:  01_Intermotor_Ignition_Switch_zps38zo0utd.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  392.9 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-06-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Id imagine the bottom one in oem... Considering the red marker and #
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 AM

How much was the new ignition switch?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:49 AM

I found my receipt from 2015. I have been sitting on this part for a long time.
It turns out that I got it from Advance Auto for $26 and change using a discount code. I can use this month's discount code and get one for $30 and change at AA. The price must have increased over the years.

I see a new OEM with shipping and handling at www.orderinfinitiparts.com for $38 and change. It should be only slightly higher at Courtesy Parts. Again this is a case where Intermotor costs as much as OEM. The only advantage to buying one at Advance Auto is it comes with a lifetime warranty. AA keeps the item in stock for online pickup with no shipping charge and using a discount code will bring the price down from OEM by $5 or $6.

I noticed RockAuto.com lists two different Intermotor part numbers that seem to be listed as parts for an Altima or Frontier. If I had to buy another one tomorrow, I would stick with part number CS549, because I know that part number works.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-06-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 AM

Any fitment issues/hassles Craig?

The harness length in the Intermotor piece seems to be a good bit reduced as compared to the OE.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Any fitment issues/hassles Craig?

The harness length in the Intermotor piece seems to be a good bit reduced as compared to the OE.
I didn't even notice a length difference. There is a clip on the new part that plugs into a mounting hole under the steering column. It snaps in nicely. The old part's clip came off when removing it. It was an easy change since I already had the plastic column parts off. PMohr has a video on changing the switch maybe in the how to section.

Just cross checking the Intermotor site I found the product search shows US-283 as the correct part number. I wonder if CS549 was replaced by US-283 and Advance still has some of the older parts? I'm not getting many hits on CS549 being for sale. I see RockAuto.com lists US-283 for $20.99. This appears to be the same switch in a different box.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....356780&jsn=430

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-06-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 AM

The new OEM part looks even more like the SMP part at Rock with the brown tabs for the two little screws. See the difference. Looks like the OEM part has been sourced from SMP, as expected.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/oe-nissan/487501e411